News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.8K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 600     1 

1 St Thomas (Lee Development, 29s, Stern)

What's your opinion of 1 St. Thomas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Stern has spun a long and successful career out of copying buildings from the past, with bits of decoration pasted on to appeal to the more-is-more crowd. The Walt Disney Company adores him.

Faux buildings don't win architectural awards, because they are a product of marketing culture. In our town, the poor of Regent Park are getting a nice contemporary aA building, while it is rumoured that BMO's former CEO is paying $15 million for the 8,500 sq ft penthouse in the status-ghetto of 1 St Thomas.

Apparantly their list includes Ghery as well. Disney also adores Pritzker Prize winner Philip Johnson. I should think Alsop is due for a stint with mickey mouse in the near future as well?

Stern continues the Disney copyist tradition that began when they built a faux fairytale castle based on one of the Ludwig II palaces. Gehry and Alsop are originals - quite a different approach.

We get it; you don’t like his work. Personally I would like to see a few more Sterns go up just to give a bit of architectural variety to the city. Glass boxes are nice but you can have too much of a good thing.

Indeed Stern's approach is very different- his masterful acknowledgement of history in his designs is unsurpassed by any living architect. And the quality is exquisite. I mean seriously, if you look at Alsop's stuff you'd think he just made it all up... :)

Look at Gehry and you sense Borromini: he's acknowledged the debt. You don't have to hit people over the head with your influences.

"Great artists steal, bad artists copy" - Picasso.

Repeat.

I like Parkin's Sun Life at SW cor Uni + Richmond.
I like Marani + Morris's Canada Life at NW cor Uni + Richmond.

Why shouldn't I?

No one is asking you to change your likes or dislikes, just consider this ...

In the current issue of New York Magazine, inside the features section, there is a list of “The Most Influential People” in several disciplines. Under “Architecture & Design,” one of the persons prominently listed is Mr. Stern:

Robert A.M. Stern
Dean, Yale School of Architecture

There will never be another Philip Johnson, but the upper echelons of the architecture world still like a club. Lately, the best approximation has been the Yale School of Architecture, transformed by Stern into a place where Frank Gehry, Peter Eisenman, and Will Bruder teach alongside younger stars like Greg Lynn and Jeanne Gang. Cheerfully offering martinis, and successful enough not to care that few of his guests like his architectural work, Stern is a powerhouse host, one who has shifted the city’s architectural center a little bit to the north.​

I shall repeat the phrasing that stands out for me: “… successful enough not to care that few of his guests like his architectural work …”

If you are a seasoned member of the architectural community, you are very aware that much of Stern’s work is controversial – not among clients or fans, of course, but among those who can be broadly grouped under the modernist wing of the profession. I’ve made it crystal clear that I am one of those from the latter group. While Stern's honours are not undeserved, and there is nothing wrong with his craftsmanship, nor his professionalism, it is rather what he represents what concerns us most. That is something akin to a builder of well-made motor cars, but motor cars that continue to have a retro look in every detail. The fact that there are buyers for such transport is not a surprise, but the fear is that the more that they are bought, the more that innovative design may be placed in arrears.

Reed Kroloff, the current Dean of the Tulane University School of Architecture – also richly honoured by his profession throughout his career – is one of Stern’s harshest critics. Unlike the many who would agree with him in private but won't go public, Kroloff is willing to be quoted. When Robert A. M. Stern was hired to head Yale’s architecture school, Kroloff, a former "Yalie" himself, and then editor of Architecture magazine, was famously quoted as saying that Stern was “… a suede-loafered sultan of suburban retrotecture, a Disney party boy.” Back in the age of an emerging, forward looking, North American architecture of the skyscraper, at the turn of the century, was the still looming presence of traditional Beaux Art design from Europe. Taking retroactive liberties, one could call Beaux Art the “retrotecture” of its time. That familar story is instructive: after a brief battle, Beaux Art succeeded in extending its grip on urban architecture for a few more decades, otherwise thwarting progressive architecture at every turn, until another form of architecture came forth, primarily from Europe, that was on a level great enough to eclipse Beaux Art design, and its derivatives.

In recent times, while not nearly as powerful as the Beaux Art movement, Postmodern architecture has similarly retarded the development of its counterpart - modern architecture - especially in the area of skyscrapers. Fortunately, Postmodern is not as prevalent as it was in the 1970s, although it has not died off. Curiously, the man most often credited with applying the word “Postmodern” to a style of architecture, a creator of buildings of that type, and an advocate for the propagation of postmodern buildings, now prefers the title of “modern traditionalist”. That man is none other than Mr. Stern.

So, within the academic crowd distain for Stern is basically the 'conventional' view. It must be frustrating when the public refuses to follow along...

Academics prefer 'serious' styles, or language that require their interpretation skills...whereas Stern is just obviously pleasing to the eye.

Personally, I don't care whether 1 St Thomas carries architecture forward. Let others do that if they choose. What i do know is that it lools good to my eye - although I like many of the glass boxes too.

If you are a seasoned member of the architectural community, you are very aware that much of Stern’s work is controversial – not among clients or fans, of course, but among those who can be broadly grouped under the modernist wing of the profession. I’ve made it crystal clear that I am one of those from the latter group.

Really? What profession are you a member of?

So, within the academic crowd distain for Stern is basically the 'conventional' view. It must be frustrating when the public refuses to follow along...

Academics prefer 'serious' styles, or language that require their interpretation skills...whereas Stern is just obviously pleasing to the eye.

Personally, I don't care whether 1 St Thomas carries architecture forward. Let others do that if they choose. What i do know is that it lools good to my eye - although I like many of the glass boxes too.

Stern spans both academic and non-academic parts of the profession. The opinions I am sharing with you are actually in both areas, although my examples were academic. The title of my last post was also meant as a disclaimer, precisely because in the larger public, Stern is probably not viewed as devisively as he is by many within the professional arena.

By the way, I hasten to add that when I call it the "modernist wing," I use it inclusively, some do and some do not use the "glass box". By glass box, I assume you mean the International style that came out of the Bauhaus, perhaps you didn't mean this at all. But we know, for example, that the so-called Neo-Brutalist school, emphasizes exposed concrete to the minimization or even exclusion of glass. And a number of other modernist architects have long since left the box as a shape for any of their modernist buildings, even if glass remains prevalent. That is what is so exciting about these alternatives - both technology and new materials have broadened perspective and style for their brand of architecture. But like all architecture, not just modernist architecture, some will be good or mediocre or nothing less than dreadful. The promise for me is in pushing the envelope. If we are capable why not explore what we can create? And we can do so with responsible architecture - taking heed of LEED certification, and creating design that will be responsive to the real needs of those who will live in it.

As Christopher Hume might say, "be bold or be cold!"

I think "irrelevant" would be a more apt word than "controversial" to describe the essence of his contribution.

Again, Stern is among the most powerful and influential, so even if I share your view in spirit, I am also a realist and know that few of whom I refer will openly say so. "Controversial" is an insular label, because it refers to an internal debate that is considerably softened when present, but belies deeper passions about where the art and craft of architecure should be pointed.

Back