724     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 466     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 236     0 

1 Bloor East, DEAD (Kolter, 60s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Florida market is slowly imploding.... There are people paying 20-30 grand to get out of their condo deals.

Something along the scale of Chicago’s Hancock Tower would be perfect for this spot, a new true iconic building to anchor our uptown. The only problem is the NIMBY's on the North Side of Bloor would be out in full source to fight the evil shadow.

Whistler,

Actually I attended the public meeting for 1 Bloor East a few years ago when it was first proposed expecting NIMBY's to be out in full force. I think Councillor Rae and the developers also expected NIMBYs - to most everyone surprise there was near unanimous support from residents and businesses in support of the tower with a few people saying it should be even taller given the location.

There was one lone person who complained about the project. He wanted it cut down to under 40s so the tower wouldn't block his view from the 44th floor of manulife. The funny thing was that he was actually serious - he went up to the renderings and made a line like motion from his unit on Manulife to 1BE and said the tower should be cut off at that point.

A further little item on the "Kolter watch": Kolter has recently sold a parcel of land which they had assembled at the NE corner of Duplex Avenue and Berwick Avenue (one block S and one block W of Yonge and Eglinton, on the same block as the big Canada Square complex). This site presently contains a bunch of detached and semi-detached houses, facing on both Duplex and Berwick. It would probably be a good townhouse development site.

Again, I don't know if this is just a routine transaction in the normal course of their business, or whether it is an indication of Kolter withdrawing from the Toronto market.

There was one lone person who complained about the project. He wanted it cut down to under 40s so the tower wouldn't block his view from the 44th floor of manulife. The funny thing was that he was actually serious - he went up to the renderings and made a line like motion from his unit on Manulife to 1BE and said the tower should be cut off at that point.

I love that. That's NIMBY in the most extreme form - not in my backyard, literally. You can put it in my neighbour's backyard, though.

Too bad that he'll be staring into Uptown across the street from his windows in a couple of years

Personally, after seeing how 1 Bloor East had changed in the most recent reports, I would rather a more serious developer come along and buy the land and put up somthing better. I just wish they would make a decision soon and stop dragging it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back