501     1 
News   Aug 29, 2024
 988     3 
News   Aug 29, 2024
 513     1 

1 Bloor East, DEAD (Kolter, 60s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably not enough of a critical mass of other institutions?

AoD

My guesses: Not enough critical mass as Alvin says (espec. banks, law firms, and accounting firms). Aging stock of offices. Not close enough to Union Station GO Trains. Somewhat run-down image of Yonge Street south of Bloor.

The empty floors in the towers at the corner are (or at least were) clearly visible from the street.

According to www.space4lease.ca :

2 Bloor West (CIBC - 34s) has a full floor vacant (as of August), and 8 partially vacant. 91% occupancy.

2 Bloor East (HBC - 34s) has 4 full floors vacant, and 6 partially vacant. 82% occupancy.

Manulife Centre Offices (20s) has no suites available.

175 Bloor East (Towers Perrin - 16s, 18s) has 83% and 55% occupancies.

Xerox Centre (17s) has 91% occupancy including retail space.

60 Bloor West (14s) has 98% occupancy.

77 Bloor West (21s) has 98% occupancy.

Cdl,

Wow! I never would have thought. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Hmm... not as bad as I thought. Thanks for the data.

Wow, I never knew. It makes sense, though, I suppose. How is vacancy levels in comparison to Yonge & Eglinton?

notice it is the new buildings that have the lower vacancies

for a similar discussion..see the discussion thread "Toronto's Midtown Supertall" (or something like that) :)

Well it would be a nice spot for a President's office on the 75th floor but I still need to put the finishing touches on my global powerhouse Fortune 500 corporation.

It would seem at the moment the condo market in that neck of the woods may be slightly over saturated. Kolter might be waiting to see which projects attract the most interest, from the uber high end 4 Seasons to the more affordable Blu. I could see them launching their building after a few of these have reached the construction phase. This could impact the design and size of the tower as well. Regardless of whatever happens with this building I’m confident that it will look great, Kolter has provided us with some of the best developments on the waterfront IMO. If we gat a building as nice in design as either the Riviera or the Waterclub Condominiums we should be thankful. I don’t see a need for this corner to have Office, The Bay and CIBC Towers do nothing for that intersection, another office Tower could completely kill it off. As long as this building still has a large retail base planned this should help breath some life into that corner which as of right now does little more then act as a traffic junction.

I think an office tower would bring more people to the area personally. I'm not sure how it could kill it off.

Depending on what’s in and around the base, I'm just saying that that corner should not just be reserved for Office.

This corner needs something major. The think I liked about the old 1BE design was that it had a scaled down metropolis-type podium (minus a few signs) with a huge tower. Don't freak out over the word "metropolis," it's good for attracting people.

As was mentioned earlier, the key is mixed use. I think this corner needs retail, entertainment and whatever else, but it also needs height. It needs a landmark structure that befits the importance of the two streets. Make Yonge and Bloor a destination instead of just the intersection that divides the city into quadrants.

I think there would be more demand for residential use than commercial use as far as towers go. Yonge and Bloor is extremely convenient. Being as it is in the heart of the shopping district, wouldn't a flagship retail complex of nice shops work well here? I bet it would work judging by the recent reports of high demand for luxury items and luxury condos.

My guesses: Not enough critical mass as Alvin says (espec. banks, law firms, and accounting firms). Aging stock of offices. Not close enough to Union Station GO Trains. Somewhat run-down image of Yonge Street south of Bloor.

This area is our Madison Avenue. Lots of ad agencies located along Bloor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back