News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.6K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 682     1 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's nice to see a developer with a lot of confidence about there project.

275 metres is great. hopefully it doesn't inlude the spikes on top.

Wow, I am excited about the height, and even moreso the balcony changes. I hate the look of skyscrapers with balconies, and designing a building where only the lower half has balconies is also very difficult to do nicely (I assume like RoCP they wouldn't have them on the top floors due to wind and such). On the other hand, I'd definitely prefer to have one in a building I live in. This seems like a compromise, plus it makes the balcony more useful in bad weather! I wonder how the implementation will turn out. I'm skeptical and assume there's a catch.

I am finding myself tempted to purchase in this building even though I no longer live in Toronto. If they don't cheap out on materials, and I imagine the city wouldn't let them at this location, by the time it's completed I fully expect those $600k units will be selling for $1M+. Real estate in TO is still very modestly priced compared to other cities. Though I'm a bit surprised they're selling tiny <600 sqft units, are there really that many people who can afford condo at this price who want to live in a shoebox?

Whoa, those are Vancouver-like prices!

The use of "lanai" is pure genius. I'm surprised developers in Vancouver haven't used it already - they all must vacation in Hawaii.

275!! I wonder if they can somehow make up that last 25 meters! Were soooo close to a really tall building, it seems silly not to at least try for it...

It is a really tall building, I don't think I've ever met a builder or developer that had even heard of the skyscraper geek term "Super-tall" or this mythical 300 meter mark or ever heard anyone discuss it outside of various skyscraper internet forums. So it doesn't seem silly not to "try" for it as I don't think anyone really cares.

The condos are advertised as having either 9 foot or 10 foot ceilings, and the podium is to be three (double-height?) floors. Assuming an average of 9.5 feet plus half a foot for the floor slabs, we end up at about 80 x 10 feet = 800 feet + 15 feet (for the extra podium height) = 815 feet. This figure could vary by up to 20 feet in either direction, depending on the ratio of 9 foot ceilings to 10 foot ceilings. Eyeballing the latest render, it looks like the roof element adds maybe one-eighth of the total height. 800 feet to the top of the residential portion, plus one-seventh (since the total height already includes the roof element) would take us to 914 feet -- too high.

I am guessing that that "80 storeys" includes the three underground levels, since 902 times seven-eighths = 789 feet, minus 15 feet for the extra podium height = 774 feet, divided by 10 feet per floor gives 77.4 floors, very close to the 77 above-ground floors of the previous version.

Therefore by what we know now, I suspect that 1BE will be 275m/902ft tall with 77 above-ground floors.

Bill

The article above said the following:

"There is the small matter of the building's height. Bazis says it has approval from city council to build 227 metres (substantially higher than the 134 metres for the Hudson's Bay building across the street and 149 for the CIBC building, which is kitty-corner). The builders, however, want to go up 275 metres."

Here's some more pre-release info... (excuse the quality)...

DSCN1277.jpg

^4th floor lounge

DSCN1275.jpg

^5th floor lounge

DSCN1272.jpg

^"Halfway Up The Tower Amenities" only for residents

DSCN1273.jpg

^Artist's conception of the "Halfway Up The Tower Amenities"

DSCN1260.jpg

^A linai from the inside

DSCN1259.jpg

^A linai from the outside

It is a really tall building, I don't think I've ever met a builder or developer that had even heard of the skyscraper geek term "Super-tall" or this mythical 300 meter mark or ever heard anyone discuss it outside of various skyscraper internet forums. So it doesn't seem silly not to "try" for it as I don't think anyone really cares.

While you are correct in stating that there is no 'mythical 300 meter mark,' the term itself is widely used in the field of architecture. Not only does it appear in several of my textbooks to describe the tallest of structures, it is one of the larger categories of buildings on Wikipeida - not Emporis, not SkyscraperPage, (well...it is on those too, but you get my point) Wikipeida. While Im not advocating Wikipeida as a scholarly resource, I am advocating that it is an accurate representation of cultural discourse - in this case, the discourse of Architecture in 2007.

What I'm trying to say is that the term supertall, and to a lesser extent the 300 meter mark, are real concepts which exist in the tangible world of architecture, not just in the backwaters of geeky forums.

(the building looks great too!)

That "Halfway Up The Tower Amenities" looks like it's a double height space...sort of a West 1 type deal I guess

To me, the best news is that the developer now has the Bank of Nova Scotia property on the southwest corner. The bank was so reluctant that the earlier plans for 1 Bloor East did not include that property.

When one owner refuses to sell, just look at One City Hall.

Does a Linai open up to the outside to function as a type of open air balcony that can be closed in inclement weather?

A linai is similar to those homes you see around the city where they've enclosed their porch with sliding glass windows or doors. It's a southern thing popular in Florida and Texas; my childhood home had a similar thing only one half was enclosed with glass the other with lattice--very relaxing in the summer. Essentially, basically like a sunroom only with sliding doors on the outside wall. It'll no doubt be copied by Toronto developers over the next few years. While a nice solution to highrise living, I'd love to see linai's on townhouses and lowrises too.

Excellent thank you, that's what I thought but I couldn't be sure. I really like that concept. Fresh air space in good weather and convertible, usable space during winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back