News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.7K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 684     1 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no doubt this project will be built fast as well. I read articles about the owner ambitious to make an impression in Toronto. It appears he has his 'stuff together' to develop this project to fruition soon. Nonetheless, it will give the other projects a run for their money as it becomes completed!

Bazis in anxious to gain a toe hold in North America and set their sights on Toronto as a landing point. New York is also on their radar screen once they've established themselves in Toronto.

I'm not a big fan of Yonge St--too grungy, suburban and roach central for me.)

grungy - check
roach central - maybe
suburban - :confused:

We don't actually know what lurks below the 60's facade of the building at N/E of Yonge & Hayden. I believe it was built as a bank and it would be of the same vintage as the other older buildings in that area.

That building has always been a mystery to me. It first struck me when I noticed an elegant limestone(?) doorframe juxtaposed amongst the otherwise featureless exterior. Could've been a looker.

Anyway, as I was passing by on the way back from work today, I stumbled across an exclusive-looking red carpet event just outside the Xerox building, complete with ominous bouncers and rented spotlights (occasionally shining in on the rooms of hapless patrons of the Marriott across the street). The 1 Bloor East sales center was lit up and in full swing.

There seems to be a lot of Yonge St. hate around here. I think it's a great street. Sure it's a little tacky in parts, but it's largely a tourist and entertainment street. It does its job well.

(I'm not a big fan of Yonge St--too grungy, suburban and roach central for me.)

Yonge does not really become a really nice street untill it reaches Bloor really...

I cannot believe the blasphemy I'm witnessing here :eek:.

It's Yonge Downtown, that place in the city where people get excited about advertising in public places, where you can meet all sorts of interesting street personalities, where you can buy cheap souveniers, band patches, nice clothing, new Rolexes, get cheap yet tasty food that's not from a chain, get McDonald's, see a free concert, see an expensive theatre production style all on one strip. This is as diverse as it gets. Now it's a matter of restoring some buildings and renewing the streetscape.

I love Yonge Street. I like that it is contradictory. When you walk it, it's like moving through the strata of the city.

Where else in a 1/2 mile walk can you get great tasting, authentic and reasonably priced food from a dozen countries, army surplus items, Himalayan hand-made products, a sprinkling of hemp shops, 70's memorabilia, Karate apparel, have a personality test done at Scientology and then see "Menopause The Musical" live on stage? Yonge Street isn't as cool as Queen West but it holds plenty of unique shopping and dining opportunities on a vibrant and wonderfully urban street.

Sky seems to be limit for One Bloor East
TheStar.com
October 30, 2007
Christopher Hume

In a city afraid of heights, the advent of an 80-storey condo tower can be counted on to set off howls of outrage.
Yet if history is any indication, once the screaming has subsided, Torontonians will be lining up to buy units in One Bloor East.
The $450 million project on the southeast corner of Bloor and Yonge will get underway at the end of the year when the leases in existing buildings expire. Demolition will start and after that, by next September, construction.
If all goes according to plan, the first residents will arrive in late 2011.
The developer, Bazis International of Kazakhstan – yes, that's right, Kazakhstan – has no qualms about investing in the Toronto condo market.
"We believe prices of real estate are still undervalued compared to world cities," says Bazis president Michael Gold. "Yonge and Bloor is the most important corner in Toronto. We wanted to address it and do something for Toronto. The city has been tough, but supportive. We believe real estate prices have a long way to go."
Indeed, if One Bloor East is any indication, the sky's the limit, physically and financially.
Let's face it, there's no more appropriate site in the city for such a tower than Bloor and Yonge. In truth it's amazing it has taken so long for something to happen here. Certainly the area needs work; it may be one of Toronto's most desirable corners, but you'd never know it by looking.
As downtown councillor Kyle Rae puts it; the intersection is "an armpit. To think that the intersection of two major streets and two subway lines is greeted with this dross – this is an opportunity that can't be missed. The project is fantastic. The architecture has been cleaned up and they are still working with the urban design department."
Robert Freedman, director of design for the City of Toronto, confirmed: "We're still working with the architects."
At the launch of One Bloor East last night, several hundred frenetic investors showed up and were clearly excited by what they saw.
"We could sell 5,000 units," Gold said. "The response has been amazing."
Even Mayor David Miller seemed impressed: "If there's one corner in the country that calls out for something spectacular, he said, "it's Yonge and Bloor."
The new 275-metre skyscraper, tall, skinny and sleekly sculptural, will include shops at street level, an eight-storey hotel and residential above. Sitting atop a three-storey glass podium, the tower will become a midtown landmark.
"This is about the fourth or fifth version," explains architect Roy Varacalli. "It's changed quite a bit; the biggest move is the addition of a second skin. The balconies bothered me, so now each will be covered with a glass panel that can be opened or closed. It'll be like a pixillated façade."
Most dramatic of all are the series of "fins" that extend along the top of the building. They are, Varacalli says, "pure art. The inspiration came from the 1957 Cadillac. I wanted something that would respond to the skyline."
Since the project was first announced last April, Bazis has also acquired the building on the southwest corner of its property; that means the complex will extend south from Bloor all the way to Hayden St.

275 Metres! :)

275.00000 Metres = 902.23097 Feet

Woo Hoo!!!

Here you go guys...!

1bloorprice.jpg

Price increases approximately $1,000 per floor. Exceptions apply.

Building Features:

Soaring 80 stories about Bloor and Yonge and grounded by a three storey podium, 1 Bloor nestles into Toronto’s vibrant mid-town streetscape. 24-hour concierge will welcome you home to a dramatic lobby designed and furnished lobby an award-winning design team. The 5 star boutique hotel offers amenities on a level of sophistication that is unprecedented. The 4th and 5th floors of the hotel feature a fully equipped fitness facility which includes cardio and weight training equipment, yoga and pilates, a Natural Garden, a full service spa a la carte, a Zen Meditation Lounge, business centre, hotel bar and restaurant, rooftop garden, indoor pool and a reflecting pool with outdoor cabana areas and the beach, The 38th floor is exclusive to the condominium owners and includes 1 Lounge, martini bar, party room and a fitness centre with fabulous views to the city’s skyline.

Suite features:

All suites feature 9’ or 10’ ceiling heights and plank engineered hardwood throughout. Kitchens will feature Italian cabinetry by Scavolini Kitchens corian or quartz stone countertops and a complete Miele appliance package including a Miele stacked front loading washer and dryer. All suites include a Lanai which allows access to a semi-enclosed atrium with a glass wall of mullions, multi-shaded glass and a glazed wind screen so that residents can use the outdoor space in any weather. Suites will also feature individually controlled heating and air conditioning.

Deposit structure:

$10, 000 with offer
Balance of 5% in 30 days
5% in 90 days
5% in 180 days
5% in 270 days

Occupancy Commencing: November 28, 2011
Locker: $5,000
Parking Space: $45,000
Please note: no parking allowed for the Life series, Style 895 and Style 770

Maintenance
Approximately $0.49 per square foot: includes: heat, air conditioning, water, building insurance and upkeep of common areas, hydro separately metered)
Parking Maintenance fee $40/Month
Locker Maintenance fee $15/Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back