News   Jun 28, 2024
 5.1K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 731     1 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds great - should be good for the street which is a little quiet east of Yonge. I'm sad to lose Roy's Square, especially since it could be so much more than it is. I'm a bit nervous about their Kazakh in-house architecture team. I hope that the city isn't afraid to send them back to the drawing board like they did with the Ritz.

I'm a bit nervous about their Kazakh in-house architecture team.

I'm more worried about the locally based lead architect who so far produced nothing that can be remotely called interesting (and his partnership has had many, many opportunities)

I guess when your financing comes from a totalitarian oil-producing state you don't have to meet presale thresholds.

At least they're not claiming the Arctic for their own - unlike another totalitarian oil-producing state.

If they want to build a half unsold building, go ahead.

So long as its a purdy building.

Thanks for the article yyz.

The steel-framed tower’s shaft will be clad in a porcelain enamel and glass curtain wall. Its balconies are framed in translucent blue-white and spandrel glass. “We have created a tension and aesthetic dialogue in the massing between the playful, retail character of Bloor, and the more conservative office and condo buildings of Yonge,†explains Roy Varacalli, a Toronto-based architect who is Bazis’ director of design and construction.

That sounded really quite interesting - are there any examples of porcelain enamel being used as a cladding in Toronto?

AoD

the new Condo Guide came out today....interesting article on 1 Bloor, including a 2-page foldout..."coming soon"

1.) they are advertising 80 storeys

2.) they are advertising 'Canada's tallest residential structure' (what about Trump?) :confused:

3.) demolition of the existing structures on the site begins later this year.

It also said 23 floors of retail & hotel, and 58 of residential. After some careful calculations with these huge sums I come up with 81 floors.

The article states "rising from the 23rd floor, 58 stories of magnificent urban condominiums." So the residential starts on the 23rd, making for a total of 80.

If built, this will be tall. I would assume the market is still hot enough to do so.

The article states "rising from the 23rd floor, 58 stories of magnificent urban condominiums." So the residential starts on the 23rd, making for a total of 80.

Ya, just re-read it and was coming on to correct myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back