News   Jun 28, 2024
 5.2K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 738     1 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the rendering again, and given that they're going for big shiny gewgaw here, I'd guess that by "tile" they mean tile, probably something with a reflective glaze. There are lots of tile-clad buildings in the world, but it's not that common in Toronto.

100_0022.jpg

Re: RE: 80

SD2:
"Again, you're blowing it way out of proportion"

Again, you're missing the point. This isn't an attack on him, his comment may not be representative of his mindset, but it defintely prompts discussion of a prevalent mindset among the people in this city. That is the point, not what he said. Can you not get passed that?

When I said I hear people say "but that's New York, we can't have that here" Are you trying to tell me you have never heard Torontonians say such things over and over again. If you haven't, you are living in a bubble and don't actually listen to what people say to you....that you do that seems quite likely seeing as I am having this silly conversation about something I've never insinuated.

Who said his comment means that he is accepting a subordinate status. Not me. You are fabricating and making huge leaps of logic.

The entire crux of the issue seems to have been lost on you since you are treating this as a personal attack on one person. Which it never was.

Toronto is an ambitious city (who said it wasn't? not me) There are still huge swaths of the population that think "that's New York, we can't have that here....maybe a scaled down version of that" It is the dominant mindset here, being blind to it, or pretending it isn't there does no one any good.

That is a fact, not some concoction of mine.
:rolleyes

Re: RE: 80

Again, you're missing the point. This isn't an attack on him, his comment may not be representative of his mindset, but it defintely prompts discussion of a prevalent mindset among the people in this city. That is the point, not what he said. Can you not get passed that?

No, you're missing the point. This comment isn't representative of the prevalent mindset of people in this city and it's somewhat ridiculous to assume such from such an innocent comment. He was just commenting on the built form - not implying that this couldn't happen here.

When I said I hear people say "but that's New York, we can't have that here" Are you trying to tell me you have never heard Torontonians say such things over and over again. If you haven't, you are living in a bubble and don't actually listen to what people say to you....that you do that seems quite likely seeing as I am having this silly conversation about something I've never insinuated.

Ganjavih didn't say or insinuate that.

I've lived in Toronto a long time and people don't talk like that. You're simply subscribing to a stereotype that doesn't jive with reality.

Who said his comment means that he is accepting a subordinate status. Not me. You are fabricating and making huge leaps of logic.

"I suppose I'll never get used to living in a city that is more comfortable in the subordinate role, rather than leader/cultural benchmark."

The entire crux of the issue seems to have been lost on you since you are treating this as a personal attack on one person. Which it never was.

No I'm not. I'm saying that you're blowing an innocent remark out of proportion and using it to draw some very stereotypical conclusions.

Toronto is an ambitious city (who said it wasn't? not me)

"I suppose I'll never get used to living in a city that is more comfortable in the subordinate role, rather than leader/cultural benchmark."

Ambition and a 'we can't have that here attitude' aren't compatible.

There are still huge swaths of the population that think "that's New York, we can't have that here....maybe a scaled down version of that" It is the dominant mindset here, being blind to it, or pretending it isn't there does no one any good.

That is a fact, not some concoction of mine.
:rolleyes

In all my years in Toronto, with all the people I've interacted with, not a single person has said anything to the effect of 'That's NY, we can't have that here'.

You seem to be someone who doesn't really know much about the city and have latched onto one of the common stereotypes about the city.

Ganjavih was simply making an observation on the built form the area will have once complete. Nothing more.

Wow, who woulda guessed that little NYC comment would cause such a ruckus. Shocking that someone would say a dense cluster of towers packed together, esp. with an art decoish one, would remind one of NYC. Somehow, subordinate status and "we can't have that here" came into the picture. I think it's clear who has the insecurity. Dude, chill already... go out and smell the flowers.

Stereotypical crap!

I guess some people just can't help but perpetuate old stereotypes, despite how untrue they are...I guess it is 'their' own insecurity.

Just to give a point of view of someone who came here years ago from Ottawa...

...comparatively speaking, I found Torontonians (of which I am now proudly one... ;)) very proud and not insecure in the least...in fact, I'd have to say that it's others who don't live in Toronto who are the insecure ones...always having to find some crap to put us down with, as the old saying goes, "Success breeds jealosy"... :)

And as the new film (Let's all hate Toronto) at the hot docs is revealing, the obsessoin is right across the country (http://hotdocs.bside.com/?_view=_filmdetails&filmId=15410885).

What's interesting - as some of you may recall - is that before 911 and before NYC reinvented itself years ago, hating NY was an American pastime...

...I guess it really does just come down to insecurity...of those that are not fortunate enough to call 'The Centre of the Universe' home... :D

The project certainly is getting a lot of press. Hopefully this one doesn't go the way of Trump. Would be nice to see a tweaked design that becomes a new tallest (and not just in floor count).

The project certainly is getting a lot of press. Hopefully this one doesn't go the way of Trump. Would be nice to see a tweaked design that becomes a new tallest (and not just in floor count).

What? Trump is a success, partly due to the reduction in size. I don't care if 1 Bloor is super duper tall, just so long as it takes full advantage of its location and adds something to the area.

Well according to Kyle Rae's office we'll find out what 1 BE will look like later this summer.

What? Trump is a success, partly due to the reduction in size. I don't care if 1 Bloor is super duper tall, just so long as it takes full advantage of its location and adds something to the area.

Its a success because it got downsized due to the fact it was stalled? Um yeah sure. Hopefully 1 Bloor goes for the max height, UNLIKE what happened to Trump which is all my statement meant.

Its a success because it got downsized due to the fact it was stalled? Um yeah sure. Hopefully 1 Bloor goes for the max height, UNLIKE what happened to Trump which is all my statement meant.

Stalled? It didn't sell like they hoped it would (I blame the Trump name, not the market) and they made an aggressive move to get it done. A 919ft luxury Trump tower isn't really a failure in my books.

Why is everyone so obsessed with the exact height of every building?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back