News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 390     0 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
However - according to the article - Bazis was able to secure financing from 2 other European sources. I think that this explains the delays

I have a problem with this statement. If Bazis had established new financing from 2 European's, it's obvious they would have released the lenders names by now. There's no downside to making such information public (only upside!).

Yonge and Bloor condo nears critical deadline

Jackson Proskow, Global News; With files from Megan O'Toole, National Post Published: Friday, April 17, 2009

The city's most-watched condo project remains an empty lot, and is quickly approaching its do-or-die date.

Developer Bazis International is on the second extension of its "condition date" to start building a planned 80-storey condo tower called One Bloor, a massively popular project that, upon its launch in late 2007, had buyers camped outside the sales office for a week.

But the bulldozed lot still sits empty, and on June 15, Bazis enters a 31-day period during which it can serve notice to buyers that it is cancelling construction. At that point, deposits would be refunded.

Mark Cosman, a commercial real estate lawyer, signed up to buy a one-bedroom unit at One Bloor before the sales office even opened. "Bloor and Yonge, it couldn't be any better," he said. "Centre ice in the city of Toronto."

But with the fate of the project in doubt, Mr. Cosman-- like many buyers -- has become increasingly concerned about his investment.

"Now, if I could get out, from a legal perspective, I would," he said.

The holdup in construction is linked to the failure of U. S. investment bank Lehman Brothers, which was helping finance the project. With Lehman in the midst of bankruptcy proceedings, the money that would have helped finance the condo is also tied up in court.

If Bazis does not give cancellation notice during the 31-day period, the purchase agreements become binding. Yet if the construction launch still lags, it becomes a much more difficult process for buyers to recover their deposits.

All deposits up to $40,000 are guaranteed by provincial regulator Tarion.

Royal LePage realtor Anna Cass recalled being lined up outside the sales office for eight days back in November, 2007, during the height of the hysteria surrounding One Bloor. Prices soared, and almost all of the units were sold. The value of the location has not changed, Ms. Cass said, but lately she has been fielding calls from concerned buyers seeking clarity on the project's status.

"They're excited about the project, they're nervous about the project, but they're still hopeful," she said. "They want it to happen."

Bazis International did not return calls requesting comment, but in a recent letter to purchasers, the developer said its extension of the condition date would "ensure that both our and your investment in the One Bloor project remain a success."

The letter also advises buyers to maintain sufficient funds in their bank accounts "in the event that a further deposit is due and payable in accordance with the terms of the purchase agreement."

Partnering with a lender in the ownership of the land for a project is not standard. However its not unheard of either. In particular, Islamic finance models have the lender actually own the property in order to share the risk. However, that doesn't apply here . . .

Bazis appears to have been an innocent bystander in all of this, sideswiped just like every other pary that was in a business or financing arrangement with Lehman.:(

3D, it would be a shame if you have to change that beautiful render of the City to delete this tower.

Let's all mark our calendars for the 15th of June and then watch for possible notices to be issued by Bazis. Let's hope none get issued, though, as, design debate aside, I REALLY, REALLY want to see this tower get built. This location needs the height and it needs the people and vibrancy this tower can bring.:)

Bazis should have partnered with a reputable group to get this one done (Cadillac Fairview, Menkes, etc). That credibility might have gone a long way to getting new financing. And if this one got off the ground nicely that would have parlayed into more credibility for their other projects.

They tried that... nobody wanted to play ball with them.

I still find it hard to believe that they cannot find alternative financing for at least the retail podium/parking portion of the project in the interim. Considering the general retail space crunch in Yorkville and the revenue from underground parking spaces (that would be for the condo/hotel portion, but public in the meantime), I would jump on the chance to finance it. Or would this whole Lehmann mess make that impossible?

How about 15 floors of parking + 2 thirty story towers of TCHC rentals?

With all the folks that will be going upside down on their condo mortgages, they'll love this cheap accomodation.:)

(Bazis sells the land to the City for $1.)

Add the street panhandlers and squeegee kids and you will have an intresting intersection. :D

Between Starbucks and International News, or replacing Starbucks? Not that I mind the loss of a Starbucks, as their ubiquity irks me somewhat . . .

Bazis should have partnered with a reputable group to get this one done (Cadillac Fairview, Menkes, etc). That credibility might have gone a long way to getting new financing. And if this one got off the ground nicely that would have parlayed into more credibility for their other projects.

They tried that... nobody wanted to play ball with them.

THAT just made the 1BE project sound so much more promising ! :eek:

1 Bloor East

Now , when Bazis is out, some reputable company should get the job done,
unless the purchasers run away from the deal...

I keep thinking this project will go the way of Trump Toronto. Just when you think it may be down and out with all the negative news out there, it pulls it out and is now going up. If the sales are as good as we have heard, than financing should make sense given their money is almost guaranteed to be repaid.

Remember Bramalea

What happen with all unfinished projects of defunct Bramalea?
They were finished off by other builders even during previous economic downturn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back