News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.8K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 653     1 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only real disappointment with this project is that it isn't set back far enough. Would've liked to see something similar to Manulife at Bay & Bloor where there are nice wide sidewalks on the Bloor & Bay St. sides. Gives a bit of breathing room at these busy intersections.

Work is continuing on site today but it seems focused on the Xerox building. I noticed that the "entry gates" off Yonge Street & Hayden Street have been paved about 100' into the property.

Some think the sliding panels a sales/marketing ploy to artificially increase the size of units and some think the panels on top are inappropriate.

There's nothing inappropriate about flexible, weather-noodled elements on a condo regardless of height/location.

It makes perfect sense in Toronto. I'm doing the same damn thing in my beaches apartment: weather good=slide it open (like today). weather bad= slide it closed.

C'mon, let's acknowledge the occasional smart idea (even in an unloved project) without putting it down to a marketing ploy.

There's nothing inappropriate about flexible, weather-noodled elements on a condo regardless of height/location.

It makes perfect sense in Toronto. I'm doing the same damn thing in my beaches apartment: weather good=slide it open (like today). weather bad= slide it closed.

C'mon, let's acknowledge the occasional smart idea (even in an unloved project) without putting it down to a marketing ploy.

I hope this project is a go; however I think the lanais are useless and are no more than balconies with sliding storm windows.

Can you imagine how cold it will get at 50s-80s even on summer nights. :eek:

Are there two sets of windows on the lanais? Sliding glass doors that open to the lanais and then sliding windows of some sort that expose the outside?

Lanais also offer a 2nd set of windows to protect the occupants from city noise. I've always liked this feature.

Last edited:
I agree that I don't understand the opposition to these 'lanais'. Are they too practical or something? They seem like a great idea to me.

Any Update on This Project?

Any recent FACTS in circulation out there? Have any purchasers been contacted by the Developers regarding changes to closing dates and such. I know that such a letter put rumors to rest with M5V on King...just wondering if there was any REAL information about this project. I cringed at the prices and hype when it went to market and for some time after, but I am rooting for it ultimately...I want to see this corner redeveloped.

I agree that I don't understand the opposition to these 'lanais'. Are they too practical or something? They seem like a great idea to me.

I like them too. Kinda like a closed-in porch in the sky. Many of the units also have standard balconies as well as a lanai.

linai1.jpg
linai2.jpg

I hadn't stated that the sliding lanai panels are a bad idea - I had stated that others didn't like them and that I was going to reserve judgment on the project until it was completed. However, I do think the roof-top panels that stick up in the air are inappropriate. They are a finicky touch that don't add anything for me. For a tall tower, I'm more into architecture in which function drives form. (Let the floodgates open on that point.)

Regarding the lanais, I lived in on the 25th floor of 10 Yonge Street (the north tower of the so-called World Trade Centre) 13 years ago and had a corner unit. In the northeast corner (with lovely city vistas) was an enclosed and unheated "balcony". You couldn't open the windows more than you could in the main unit itself, which I regretted as I desired some exposure to the elements in the warmer months. (It was very windy, however, and therefore cold, so query whether we would have used it much if it hadn't been enclosed.) In the winter, however, it was a useful space that we kept open to the unit even in the coldest weather, as the windows in the "balcony" were double glazed (or so I recall now). We even put down some floor-to floor carpeting and put a couple pieces of real furniture in it to make it feel more like a part of, and extension of the living space in, the main unit.

If the lanais on 1BE are as useful as this sapce was to us, then I think they will be a very appropriate addition, particularly for those on the higher floors where it will be very windy and cold at times. Does anyone know the quality of the windows and sliding panels that are to be used? If they are good quality insulated windows and panels, I think this will extend the living space in winter, yet allow some closer connection with the elements on warmer (and calmer) days.

A couple of minor developments to keep the fires of optimism burning. As I walked by the site today, this is the first time I've seen the lights on in the on site construction trailer. The advertising banners that were recently put up by the law firm connected with this development were taken down and replaced by snazzy new wood ones. Keep the faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back