News   Jun 28, 2024
 5.6K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 776     1 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: RE: Yonge and bloor - 80 stories

That design is hardly typical.

It seems the balconies are evolving in "Toronto Style". Perhaps after the Absolute Towers we'll be seeing more than just straight balconies, like the Clear Spirit Condos and now this one.

Not as tall as I hoped, but good height none the less. Thanks for putting it up for us to see.

Loos like MG22 came the closest with 220 metres

So it will be almost exactly the same height as the main TD centre tower- I'd say that is pretty respectable.

it will probably look taller because its surrounded by shorter buildings.i wonder what the difference in land elevation is from king and bay to yonge and bloor or if its significant enough to make a difference.

But as Varacalli pointed out, the building remains a work in progress. Let's hope there's time for improvement. His design for Bazis's other Toronto project, Crystal Blue, is much more convincing.

I think Hume totally lost it - how is Crystal Blu, a forgetable tower that didn't aspire to be anything, be more "convincing" in comparison to this proposal?

AoD

The problem with Bazis is that they have presented a rendering showing the perspective of the tower from street level (which is actually quite poorly done, in my opinion). The street level perspective is really open to interpretation (as opposed to plans and elevations, with which there would be no arguments) . Mark Simpson wrote the floors "bend outward" on the west side of the tower, and the Star diagram shows the top of the tower as short and sloped. I think the Star graphics guy exaggerated the cantilever of the balconies on the east and west sides.

Right now, I am quite convinced that my interpretation of the perspective as shown in the model is correct with regards to the shape of the tower. The height of the model is really what I'm unsure about.

I have created a second version of the model based on the height provided by the Star (not yet released, until I get a good confirmation that the height is correct). This yields a floor-to-floor height of 8' for residential floors.

It has potential, but I did like the seafoam curvy thing from page 5...a tower with glass that colour would really stand out. This one will also stand out with its Stegosaurus tips, and at night if the tips are lit up, so I'm kind of indifferent between the two designs.

It is a moot point, as we are all guessing about height here, but if the tower is 76 floors including four podium floors of 18-20ft each plus the mechanical/design element it has to be pushing 800ft. (248M)

There is no building in the following 400ft list that is less than 10ft per floor, even the lowly (price point wise)Pinnacle bellies up to bar at 10.32 ft. per floor. Apply that same calculation to 1BE and you get 784ft. Surely 1BE will be of a higher (no pun intended) standard than Pinnacle. As 1BE will have a hotel component all the following building floor counts to height ratio are relevant.

Signature Tower 714 ft. 69 floors
Shangri-La - 704 ft. 65 floors
Four Seasons Hotel - Approx 686 ft. 50 floors
Ritz Carlton Hotel - 684 ft. 53 floors
Sapphire Tower - 643 ft. 62 floors
The L Tower [Hummingbird Centre] - 619 ft. 50 floors
Maple Leaf Square Tower I - 610 ft. 54 floors
Festival Tower - 541 ft. 42 floors
Pinnacle - Northwest Tower - 516 ft. 50 floors

However since the powers that be (developer) doesn't want to reveal the true height due to the inevitable shouts of "TO TALL" and the accompanying gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair by the 45ft crowd we will be kept guessing on a true final official height number until probably close to the construction start next year.

Remember for the longest time the supposed final height of Festival Tower was thought to be 505 ft or so and only last month we discover it’s going to end up 40ft taller.

This all started with FCP. I have a leather bound copy of the original 24 page presentation binder which included assorted renderings, water coloured artist impressions of all the project design elements, streetscapes, and lots of marketing fluff. No where was height ever mentioned. At the public unveiling of the planned development specific height was never talked about. They even announced the tower was 69 storeys. You had to really sift through all the newspaper articles to realize the tower sat on a three storey podium. Upwards of 900ft. was as close as anyone associated with the project would venture to say. That's a long way from 985ft. Toronto has always been afraid of heights.

In closing this post may I say that in the last four years urban forumers in this here old town have been spoiled rotten.

Toronto is emerging from being a provincial rump into a really sophisticated place to live. Yes I know for some it will never be New York, London, Paris, or dare I say it, Vancouver. And for some Toronto's architecture will always be too this or too that or just too not world class.

Yes I know it is our responsibility to be critical and demanding of our developers and urban planners. We must be constantly pressing for ever higher architectural and contextual standards, but please let's stop being so snobish and superior all the time and acknowledge that there is some pretty dam good stuff being built in old T.O. these days.

agree with V of E....I think there is some NIMBY-avoidance strategy at work here....

I'm not complaining. This boom is nothing short of being astonishing.

As I had posted earlier, if you take the developer's own words (that the podium floors are 20ft each), and apply that to the (admittedly not final) rendering that they themselves had provided, you end up with a total height according to their own rendering of a bit over 800ft (call it 240m) to the top of the roof element. This will surely not be the built height, as the plans are still in flux, but it is probably fairly close.

Re: Yonge and Bloor - 80 storeys

"nothing short of being astonishing" ... Yes it is. We are slowly but surely approaching "world class" (ducks to avoid flying objects and derision).

I fail to understand this obsession with height, and "whose is larger". We have a darn good-looking building being proposed, IMO. It will be a landmark. It will certainly improve a major intersection which has been a disgrace for a long time. I look forward to wandering through once it opens. It's really of passing interest only, whether it ends up as third tallest or fourth tallest or whatever. An interesting but relatively trivial detail, once it's finally resolved six months or a year from now.

Re: Yonge and Bloor - 80 storeys

water coloured artist impressions of all the project design elements

Watercolour renderings of FCP? Wouldn't they work better when there's, y'know, colour?

One more change and it should be given some sort of gemstone as a name. I'm loving the progress it's making though.

condo%20-%201%20bloor%20east%201.jpg
1blooreastnewmar07dn6.jpg
newoneblooreastgh2.jpg

Wow you read my mind!

I was going to request that someone give us a comparison of the proposals!

Thanks!

Louroz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back