News   May 09, 2024
 242     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 386     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 664     1 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway catch-all, incl. Hybrid Design (2015-onwards)

I'm surprised they are repaving before the girders below have been replaced for that section. I just assumed they could only be replaced when nothing is on top but I guess that is not the case.
They're not repaving, they're paving for the first time. I guess the staging of the project is such that they want to reroute the lanes to one side of the structure in an initial stage, or maybe rebuild the walls to start with. Either of those options would require the lanes to be moved into or across the area formerly occupied by the median - thus the paving through there.

Dan

Concrete has dried and sewers/drainage installed for what will be car lanes when traffic is shifted.
Also included a shot under the Gardiner looking East from Ex GO. No extra supports yet but I would assume on the way soon.

Z8P_4415.jpg
Z8P_4458.jpg

A where's Waldo for your photo tag! I'm still looking for the one above.....
It's above the closest dirt pile on the right side.
This one blends in even more thanks to the drop in resolution during the upload.

This is where the Gardiner SHOULD have gone into a tunnel (like in Montreal) rising above ground east of downtown. Having a tunnel would have solved so may issues.
However that never happened so here we are.

This is where the Gardiner SHOULD have gone into a tunnel (like in Montreal) rising above ground east of downtown. Having a tunnel would have solved so may issues.
However that never happened so here we are.
Where would the tunnels exit? I thought aside from the land it's on being reclaimed, an issue was all the pipes wires and who knows what buried underground

Where would the tunnels exit? I thought aside from the land it's on being reclaimed, an issue was all the pipes wires and who knows what buried underground
Most people don't know how much of today's waterfront exists on reclaimed land that started in the late 1800's with the major push being 1900's. You may find some sunken boats like they did at CityPlace by Bathurst St when building the towers there, let alone the remains of wharfs.

The tunnel is no better than what there now as well how do you build connections to/from it where they meet an intersection?

April 29th update - asphalt laid.
Also, the land under where the CNE kids buildings were at the top of Centennial Park has been dug up. I'm assuming it's got to do with Gardiner work but I could be wrong with that.

View attachment 560101
Its actually quite impressive to see how quickly they've moved on demolishing the barriers, while laying down fresh concrete and asphalt.

I can point out numerous sites in the city where roads have been dug up and concrete has been poured, but yet asphalt hasnt been poured for weeks on end so there are indefinite lane closures.

Its actually quite impressive to see how quickly they've moved on demolishing the barriers, while laying down fresh concrete and asphalt.

I can point out numerous sites in the city where roads have been dug up and concrete has been poured, but yet asphalt hasnt been poured for weeks on end so there are indefinite lane closures.
I would've expected them to build the new concrete barriers before paving, I guess they'll be doing on top of the asphalt?

I would've expected them to build the new concrete barriers before paving, I guess they'll be doing on top of the asphalt?
I think what will happen is the east or westbound traffic will be moved into the middle section and actual work will commence on the vacated lanes.

Reactions: max
You have, by far, the best photo tag/copyright telltale I've ever seen.

Thanks for sharing! Glad to hear it 😁

April 30th update. Lane painting down the closed middle section has almost reached Dufferin. I expect eastbound traffic to be shifted here in the next couple days.
Z8P_4496.jpg

Z8P_4496-2.jpg

And rehab work has started on a few different bents East of Exhibition GO.

Z8P_4503.jpg

Also, the land under where the CNE kids buildings were at the top of Centennial Park has been dug up. I'm assuming it's got to do with Gardiner work but I could be wrong with that.

I thought those were going as part of the streetcar connection between Dufferin & Exhibition Loops though that was on hold due to Ontario Line, so you may be right about it being Gardiner related.

Back