Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

Last edited:
Would be an suburban "idea" that involves more cars, which would make for more traffic congestion.

I agree, this councillor obviously does not realize the issue of putting up morey lots in the core. Oh wait, she's from Scarborough..

So she used WeChat to poll her constituents. That might be a good cross-section of her supporters, but not a good cross-section of her constituency.

That is indeed a chunk of her supporters, you are right on that one, but not everyone will be onboard with the idea of a parking lot at OP. I, for one, am not onboard !

Last edited:
One problem seemed to be that the powers-that-be refused to replace the parking lot(s) with transit loops, because they felt parking was very important to access Ontario Place. I for one, NEVER used any car or taxi to get to Ontario Place. I always took public transit. However, things got worse when they moved the streetcar loop to under the Gardiner Expressway.

If they want to renovate Ontario Place, they need to do a better job with public transit access to Ontario Place. With the 2019 events at Cinesphere and the Budweiser Stage, how many people would reluctantly have to drive down because of the distance between between the venues and the streetcar loop?

One problem seemed to be that the powers-that-be refused to replace the parking lot(s) with transit loops, because they felt parking was very important to access Ontario Place. I for one, NEVER used any car or taxi to get to Ontario Place. I always took public transit. However, things got worse when they moved the streetcar loop to under the Gardiner Expressway.

If they want to renovate Ontario Place, they need to do a better job with public transit access to Ontario Place. With the 2019 events at Cinesphere and the Budweiser Stage, how many people would reluctantly have to drive down because of the distance between between the venues and the streetcar loop?

The 121D Fort York Esplanade runs to OP seasonally from June to September/October, otherwise, there are no transit services in OP.

I for one, NEVER used any car or taxi to get to Ontario Place. I always took public transit.

I did; but then, I was a suburban kid in a car-dependent family in the 70s, and there was plenty of space to park on the Ex grounds. It was as matter-of-fact as driving to hockey practice, or something. And of course, that was then, this is now.

Re Lai's WeChat survey: remember that a lot of her constituents are pretty "removed" from Ontario Place's genesis, and might as well be more culturally tied in with Markham or Richmond Hill than downtown Toronto. It's just as well but another water park attraction, or something...

News Release
Ontario Accepting Proposals for Ontario Place Development
January 18, 2019
Search is on for new ideas that will attract year-round local and international visitors
Today Michael Tibollo, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport, announced a new vision for Ontario Place that will maximize investment to develop the site as a top destination to visit, while sending a strong signal around the world that Ontario is open for business.
"We're going to bring Ontario Place back to life and make it a spectacular world-class, year-round destination to visit in North America," said Minister Tibollo. "Our vision for Ontario Place will make it an impressive attraction that could include exciting sport and entertainment landmarks, public parks or shopping. We could also have places for recreation, for people to come together and to hear great music at the existing amphitheater."
Minister Tibollo announced that an Expression of Interest process will open this spring that will encourage potential partners from around the world to take a fresh look at Ontario Place and make this vision a reality. Ontario Place is a unique waterfront asset, and this search will send a clear message that the Government for the People is serious about renewing the site as an iconic cultural and tourism destination.
"Our Government for the People believes in and supports the innovation of the private sector and we're going to search world-wide for the most innovative ideas out there," said Minister Tibollo. "We have a unique opportunity here to create something special at Ontario Place and I'm confident that we're going to see some great ideas come out of this process."
As a first step, parties who are interested right now are invited to visit the website for more information about the opportunity at Ontario Place and will have the opportunity to submit their proposals in advance of the launch of the Expression of Interest. Interested parties will also be able to request more detailed information about the site to help inform their submissions. Ontario will also explore interim opportunities to bring in short term and summer programming while longer-term plans are explored.
"We told the people of Ontario that we would make Ontario Place a spectacular destination," said Tibollo. "We are committed to finding the best private sector partners to renew Ontario Place so that it can once again be an attraction that people can be proud of."

Minister Tibollo announced that an Expression of Interest process will open this spring that will encourage potential partners from around the world to take a fresh look at Ontario Place and make this vision a reality. Ontario Place is a unique waterfront asset, and this search will send a clear message that the Government for the People is serious about renewing the site as an iconic cultural and tourism destination."

Gah. Mystifying/terrifying

Recent renos be damned, there goes the Cinesphere:

“The areas available for development includes the Ontario Place islands, mainland, pods, and the Cinesphere.
“Proposals may be for a portion of the site or for the entire site. The government intends to maintain 7.5 acres of park land. Submissions that propose the use of any part of Trillium Park will be required to develop new park land of an equivalent size at the site.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...be-demolished-under-ford-government-plan.html

News Release
Ontario Accepting Proposals for Ontario Place Development
January 18, 2019
Search is on for new ideas that will attract year-round local and international visitors
Today Michael Tibollo, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport, announced a new vision for Ontario Place that will maximize investment to develop the site as a top destination to visit, while sending a strong signal around the world that Ontario is open for business.
"We're going to bring Ontario Place back to life and make it a spectacular world-class, year-round destination to visit in North America," said Minister Tibollo. "Our vision for Ontario Place will make it an impressive attraction that could include exciting sport and entertainment landmarks, public parks or shopping. We could also have places for recreation, for people to come together and to hear great music at the existing amphitheater."
Minister Tibollo announced that an Expression of Interest process will open this spring that will encourage potential partners from around the world to take a fresh look at Ontario Place and make this vision a reality. Ontario Place is a unique waterfront asset, and this search will send a clear message that the Government for the People is serious about renewing the site as an iconic cultural and tourism destination.
"Our Government for the People believes in and supports the innovation of the private sector and we're going to search world-wide for the most innovative ideas out there," said Minister Tibollo. "We have a unique opportunity here to create something special at Ontario Place and I'm confident that we're going to see some great ideas come out of this process."
As a first step, parties who are interested right now are invited to visit the website for more information about the opportunity at Ontario Place and will have the opportunity to submit their proposals in advance of the launch of the Expression of Interest. Interested parties will also be able to request more detailed information about the site to help inform their submissions. Ontario will also explore interim opportunities to bring in short term and summer programming while longer-term plans are explored.
"We told the people of Ontario that we would make Ontario Place a spectacular destination," said Tibollo. "We are committed to finding the best private sector partners to renew Ontario Place so that it can once again be an attraction that people can be proud of."

Well, I guess DoFo was that serious about redeveloping Ontario Place...

Well, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. If the this government can rip up green energy contracts and backstop it with legislation to prevent lawsuits, I am sure the next government can do the same with what's envisioned here.

AoD

Back