Toronto Ontario Place | ?m | ?s | Infrastructure ON

By extending the streetcar tracks from the current (terrible) location under the Gardiner, down to Ontario Place, they would better serve Enercare Centre and Ontario Place. Replacing the parking lot with a streetcar loop would be an improvement.

I think so too, extend 509 down there, or maybe even to Roncesvalles Carhouse, too. Also, parking lot ?? @W. K. Lis, I thought you didn't like parking lots !!

By extending the streetcar tracks from the current (terrible) location under the Gardiner, down to Ontario Place, they would better serve Enercare Centre and Ontario Place. Replacing the parking lot with a streetcar loop would be an improvement.
Hey, good thing we have Waterfront LRT West planned to kick into construction phase some time in late 2030's! It will be a timely solution to the problem.

Streetcars can take an 8% (sometimes 10%) grade incline. From the west entrance of the Enercare Centre to Princes' Blvd., they could replace the current "wall" with an ramp and bridge supports to get from the ground level passage way between the horse palace and Ricoh Coliseum to overhead supports.
1547488117186.png

1547487632853.png

Then the question would be which current parking lot at Ontario Place to be used for the streetcar loop to serve Ontario Place.

Last edited:
Streetcars can take an 8% (sometimes 10%) grade incline. From the west entrance of the Enercare Centre to Princes' Blvd., they could replace the current "wall" with an ramp and bridge supports to get from the ground level passage way between the horse palace and Ricoh Coliseum to overhead supports.
View attachment 170897
View attachment 170893

Then the question would be which current parking lot at Ontario Place to be used for the streetcar loop to serve Ontario Place.

You don't want to piss off the drivers !

I don't see the point of having streetcars elevated ...can't all that rail and wire infrastructure be buried like they do in most of the modern world?

That would put it below the lake level. Lots of slump pumps and/or flooding during big rainstorms. Cheaper to put them overhead.

...and put in an order for double-ended streetcars and use crossovers instead of loops, at Ontario Place.

That would put it below the lake level. Lots of slump pumps and/or flooding during big rainstorms. Cheaper to put them overhead.

...and put in an order for double-ended streetcars and use crossovers instead of loops, at Ontario Place.

That is what I almost suggested, double-ended makes more sense in this case of OP. However, underground tunneling is not a possibilty.

We didn't get to sit atop the world rankings of per-capita CO2 emissions at 3 times the world average and 3 times the European per-capita emissions by building sensible cities and public transit, now did we? Why start being sensible now? No more streetcars ripping up car lanes, no more density in the city core. Keep building single family detached homes in the Green Belt, keep putting more cars on the roads, sit back, relax, and watch the world burn, enjoying your buck-a-beer in the process.

Back