News   Apr 26, 2024
 66     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 298     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 514     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

In 2007, John Tory wasn't good enough, so McGuinty was returned - thus began the lost decade when Ontario debt increased by over 100% (while Canada only up 26%). Shortly thereafter, everyone regretted their decision.

In 2011, Tim Hudak wasn't good enough, so McGuinty was returned and that spawned the many arms of the Gas Plant Scandal. Shortly thereafter, everyone regretted their decision.

In 2014, Tim Hudak wasn't good enough, so Wynne was returned and that spawned the many arms of the political corruption, cash-for-access, etc. Shortly thereafter, everyone regretted their decision.

History does have a way of repeating itself. I have no doubt that voters will regret their choices. Back in the Bob Rae era, it was hard to find 10% of people who actually voted for him.
There were good reasons why Tory and Hudak weren’t good enough. In Tory’s case it was funding for religious schools, while for Hudak it was mass layoffs of civil servants. In both cases, the PC’s had a leader grossly out of step with the desires of a majority of Ontarians. The fault was with the party, not the electorate, and at this point it looks like the polarizing leadership choice they made with Ford will continue their well-established tradition of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

My dad is one of the 24% who vote PC regardless, but he still thinks that they messed up yet another winnable election. I have no issue voting NDP now that they have momentum.

I’m having a hard time deciding whether I want Ford to lose his riding and be humiliated out of running for any public office again or having him win his seat and kept out of this
EDITORIAL
Globe editorial: Doug Ford can’t ignore allegation he tried to sell bogus party memberships
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opi...ford-cant-ignore-allegation-he-tried-to-sell/

There’s no way around it. Doug Ford will be buried in scandals (and I’m hearing there are more) for the rest of the campaign.

The PCs got what they deserved. I hope that he’s obliterated and loses his own seat. With this kind of negative press, he couldn’t even run for Mayor if he wanted to. This 2 week mark is the sweet spot. Enough time to continue dropping and not enough time to recover if the scandals somehow quieted down.

Their AI software analysis projects....wait for it...Libs getting just one seat! Not even official party status. And it won't be Wynne either.

But projections show that the NDP has to win ridings from the Cons, not the Libs, to win.

That’s doable because many who have sided with the PCs did so because they were tired of a Liberal government and wanted change.

Now that Horwath’s profile has skyrocketed, she’s a suitable change candidate and not a scary one like Ford. I think the PCs can lose another 5-10% with Ford mired in scandals and on the defensive for the final 2 weeks.

Voters are getting a taste of the chaos Toronto had to go through with his brother and have a chance to turn back and support the other Not Wynne candidate.

I have no issue voting NDP now that they have momentum.

This shit again. "Looks like they might win, better vote for them."

I'm not singling you out, you're by far not the only one who casts votes based on perceived winnability.

Putin gets half his votes like this, you know. (I'm not even having a laugh here, it's true).

This shit again. "Looks like they might win, better vote for them."

I'm not singling you out, you're by far not the only one who casts votes based on perceived winnability.

Putin gets half his votes like this, you know. (I'm not even having a laugh here, it's true).
Im strategic voting as well. I know you were trying to get us to join your don't vote campaign but I think its fair to vote strategically for other people. Im in Mike Colles area and would tend to vote for him. On the other hand if its close and I can give even more to the NDP I have no problem doing that. I think going from Liberal to NDP or vice versa is no where near as drastic as going from red/orange to blue. In principle the Orange and Red have plenty in common. So voting for them doesn't mean that you are changing your ideology to cast a winning vote.

Ford has no seat, you can’t lose what you don’t have. We can certainly hope that Shafiq Qaadri keeps his riding - the only Liberal I’ll be rooting for.

Or the NDP up the middle, as some projectionists are calling it.

Hey; back in mid-March, after DoFo became leader, I was calling Etobicoke North "NDP-targetable"...

Back