News   Apr 15, 2024
 956     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 650     0 

Toronto PATH Retail

^that as well. There will be a huge amount of space in the new Union station retail area. Beyond installing full size McDonalds and Tims (finally) as well as an LCBO, most of that space will require other tenants that the city wants to attract.

the northwest PATH connection is also expensive enough already, no need to make it more so by adding large retail areas.

^that as well. There will be a huge amount of space in the new Union station retail area. Beyond installing full size McDonalds and Tims (finally) as well as an LCBO, most of that space will require other tenants that the city wants to attract.

the northwest PATH connection is also expensive enough already, no need to make it more so by adding large retail areas.

Except if it is to divert folks from their current path, and it is successful in doing that....it could open up an opportunity for some retail (people who, say, pick up a coffee or breakfast on way to work in the morning)....I am ok either way but those additional costs could be offset with additional revenue.

I don't know if anyone has looked at the current PATH map, but it looks as though they are already claiming Aura/College Park as well as the Hospital District as three unconnected parts. I hope this means that the Ryerson Learning Centre will have a connection to Aura which will just hop a little West to connect the rest.

http://www1.toronto.ca/static_files/economic_development_and_culture/docs/BIA Maps/PATH_map.pdf

lol... that is not just a little hop. The Student Learning Centre is quite far from Aura. There is no way to physically connect the two. They would need to involve several other properties in order to do so.

That map was very recently changed. I had printed one off for a colleague not even a month ago without those additions. Quite interesting though!

I've also noticed that some PATH signs (many years too late) have gone up in the CBC building.

I don't know if anyone has looked at the current PATH map, but it looks as though they are already claiming Aura/College Park as well as the Hospital District as three unconnected parts. I hope this means that the Ryerson Learning Centre will have a connection to Aura which will just hop a little West to connect the rest.

http://www1.toronto.ca/static_files/economic_development_and_culture/docs/BIA Maps/PATH_map.pdf

That's really stretching it to include those distant unconnected areas on the PATH map. The target user of this is very unlikely to need to know about those connections, or ever use them, and it makes it much harder to print the map on a regular sheet of paper and still have it legible. I also don't like the clutter of the "future connections". Some of those may not be done for years. There is no plan to construct the North-West PATH connection up York Street right now, it's just going to cross Front and that's it.

Agree with you about the clusters north of the main PATH network. Have they branded these connections as part of the PATH? If so, I guess they feel obliged to show them on the map, but it's of very little use to anyone until such time as there is a plan to connect these clusters (even one of them) to the main network.

I don't mind the other future connections. Some of them are under construction. If they are on the books/approvals in place, I say show them - let people know what's coming. Notations with anticipated opening times would be helpful, though.

When did they drop plans for the NW PATH connection to Wellington? I haven't been following this as closely as I ought to have, I suppose. It was always phased (phase 1 being up to the new pavilion at York and Front, phase 2 being the tunnel up to Wellington), and as recently as the end of last year staff were reporting to Council that construction of phase 2 would commence in 2015. When did they change that?

Last edited:
Agree with you about the clusters north of the main PATH network. Have they branded these connections as part of the PATH? If so, I guess they feel obliged to show them on the map, but it's of very little use to anyone until such time as there is a plan to connect these clusters (even one of them) to the main network.

I don't mind the other future connections. Some of them are under construction. If they are on the books/approvals in place, I say show them - let people know what's coming. Notations with anticipated opening times would be helpful, though.

When did they drop plans for the NW PATH connection to Wellington? I haven't been following this as closely as I ought to have, I suppose. It was always phased (phase 1 being up to the new pavilion at York and Front, phase 2 being the tunnel up to Wellington), and as recently as the end of last year staff were reporting to Council that construction of phase 2 would commence in 2015. When did they change that?

The dotted line going up York street is connecting Union to 70 York (NW corner of York and Wellington) and (indirectly) 95 Wellington West (SE corner of same intersection)...the 70 York connection completes the connection that then runs through to St. Andrews subway and beyond.

I think we are within a few months of this opening.

The dotted line going up York street is connecting Union to 70 York (NW corner of York and Wellington) and (indirectly) 95 Wellington West (SE corner of same intersection)...the 70 York connection completes the connection that then runs through to St. Andrews subway and beyond.

I think we are within a few months of this opening.

Agreed, but I am not sure that was the point. Jonny was saying that they should not have these dotted lines on the map because there are no plans to construct this portion of the NW extension. I asked him when they cancelled it, because it was still on the books/in the budget as recently as a few months ago.

I think we might be within a few months of the opening of the NW extension across Front to the York Street pavilion. IIRC, they haven't even completed the design work for the NW extension up to Wellington. Assuming it's not been cancelled (no response from Jonny).

Agreed, but I am not sure that was the point. Jonny was saying that they should not have these dotted lines on the map because there are no plans to construct this portion of the NW extension. I asked him when they cancelled it, because it was still on the books/in the budget as recently as a few months ago.

I think we might be within a few months of the opening of the NW extension across Front to the York Street pavilion. IIRC, they haven't even completed the design work for the NW extension up to Wellington. Assuming it's not been cancelled (no response from Jonny).

Gotchya....thought you were making an independant statement....didn't notice it was a reply to Jonny.

I don't follow this too closely and assumed (yikes) that the construction there now was for the whole thing up to Wellington. Where would it connect to if it was just crossing Front? How/where would people get into the thing?

That's really stretching it to include those distant unconnected areas on the PATH map.

They might as well include the walkways between Park Rd.-Bloor and Bay-Charles: several office buildings, hundreds of stores and apartments, two subway stations. I don't think it's necessary that all parts of the Path be linked; identifying other walkways might be useful from a branding point of view. That's what they do in Montreal, for instance.

I haven't heard about the project being cancelled. I assume it's going to require tearing up the middle of York and Wellington, and I was under the impression any major works that are not yet underway are going to be pushed out until after the PanAm games. If they are tunneling without digging up the street, than maybe they can get it done in a year.

Gotchya....thought you were making an independant statement....didn't notice it was a reply to Jonny.

I don't follow this too closely and assumed (yikes) that the construction there now was for the whole thing up to Wellington. Where would it connect to if it was just crossing Front? How/where would people get into the thing?

There will be a portal at the wedge shaped area between York and University, opposite side of the street from the Royal York entrance on York. This will connect into the new GO concourse. It's not much considering all the work, but it will make it much easier to get into the station than going through that rather complicated Front/York/University intersection, which a lot of people jaywalk unsafely in the rush to make their train.

Back