1.6K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 395     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 376     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like Vaughan because while he is intelligent and has his amusing snarky comments (which I love), he votes with his gut. Without all the racism and homophobia and criminality, on council he is just like Rob except he bats for our team. He doesn't give a crap about admitting he doesn't know something, he doesn't want studies about anything, he speaks for and votes for a) whatever will endear him to his constituents and b) whatever the "right" doesn't like.

I appreciate his candor and agree with him on some things but he's just another damn self-serving politician at the end of it all.

If you ask me who I like on council, I'd have to say Wong-Tam. Vaughan is sleazy though.

I'd have to disagree with you here.
background: I like Vaughan to a certain extent... not a huge fan, but I respect him.
I don't think Vaughan votes "not right" all the time at all. In fact, I'd say he's a centrist who leans right on quite a few issues. He's a hard working councillor who does A LOT of background homework on the issues he's presented with and makes reasoned judgements that balance his own views/values and those of his riding.
This is just the sort of thing that is needed on council.

I will agree with you about KWT (and I'd add Perks) - I think they have the same qualities described above (and, bonus, I agree with them politically more often than not!).
I'm still coming around to Matlow!

The only thing I'm sure about, re: Ford and phones, is that when he lost his last April, one of his staffers bought him a Blackberry to replace it. I feel like iPhone wouldn't really be his style.

I could see it being Renata's. "Hey, hun. I lost my phone - need to borrow yours for some drug, um, booze, uh, embezzlement, I mean constituent calls."

I don't like Vaughan because while he is intelligent and has his amusing snarky comments (which I love), he votes with his gut. Without all the racism and homophobia and criminality, on council he is just like Rob except he bats for our team. He doesn't give a crap about admitting he doesn't know something, he doesn't want studies about anything, he speaks for and votes for a) whatever will endear him to his constituents and b) whatever the "right" doesn't like.

I appreciate his candor and agree with him on some things but he's just another damn self-serving politician at the end of it all.

If you ask me who I like on council, I'd have to say Wong-Tam. Vaughan is sleazy though.

I voted for Wong Tam - much better improvement over "Mr. Retirement Party"...

I'm hoping that Beyers resigning and Amin taking a leave of absence is because something big is happening, but is it possible they're doing this only so that they can work on Ford's campaign? It seems like the kind of move they would do.

I hadn't thought of that - gee, I hope that it's because something big is going down - soon.

I didn't realize that Beyer was on leave since last year. Wasn't Amin also on leave not that long ago?

Looks like in addition to Beyers leaving, Amin Massoudi is going on extended leave as of tomorrow:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...sing-longest-serving-staffer/article17390775/

Often when political staffers have paid jobs, they take leaves from paid jobs, during election periods to work full time on elections stuff. This alleviates them from accusations that they are electioneering while getting paid.

I'm not saying that either DoFo or RoFo is smart enough to think that way... but its not unheard of for senior staff to take leaves before elections.

I bet Massoudi is cracking. Working for one or both Fords has got to be hell on earth. Having to deal with that much anger and rage all the time can't be easy. Add to that, having a boss who likely doesn't listen to anything you say, coupled with having to constantly tell the media you don't know where he is when you know damn well where he is must really be difficult. Hopefully he's getting the hell out for his own health and not changing jobs to work on Rob's campaign.

The only thing I'm sure about, re: Ford and phones, is that when he lost his last April, one of his staffers bought him a Blackberry to replace it. I feel like iPhone wouldn't really be his style.
The Blackberry is the City Hall issued phone. I believe he and all councillors use Blackberry for official business. Didn't the ITO say he uses two phones? Who knows, maybe the second one is an iphone...

I'm hoping that Beyers resigning and Amin taking a leave of absence is because something big is happening, but is it possible they're doing this only so that they can work on Ford's campaign? It seems like the kind of move they would do.

I think they are doing this to may Amin "unavailable" to the media... Very Convenient. Game is over...

I hadn't thought of that - gee, I hope that it's because something big is going down - soon.

I didn't realize that Beyer was on leave since last year. Wasn't Amin also on leave not that long ago?
Yes, he was. I asked about Amin's absence awhile ago and someone here said it was medical-related.

Often when political staffers have paid jobs, they take leaves from paid jobs, during election periods to work full time on elections stuff. This alleviates them from accusations that they are electioneering while getting paid.

I'm not saying that either DoFo or RoFo is smart enough to think that way... but its not unheard of for senior staff to take leaves before elections.
Wouldn't Doug have to resign as being councillor then? Seeing he's Rob's campaign manager and all.

I my have missed this along the way, but if the Ford bros. wanted to write their costs of the Calf. trip as a business expense, then taking the wives would caused a complication.

I think it's important to remember that Ford loyalists are likely the LAST people to know about impending arrests.

I bet Massoudi is cracking. Working for one or both Fords has got to be hell on earth. Having to deal with that much anger and rage all the time can't be easy. Add to that, having a boss who likely doesn't listen to anything you say, coupled with having to constantly tell the media you don't know where he is when you know damn well where he is must really be difficult. Hopefully he's getting the hell out for his own health and not changing jobs to work on Rob's campaign.
Massoudi is in it up to his eyeballs, if you believe that Vice magazine story about him trying to hire a hacker to acquire and destroy the crack tape. Which I do. He's definitely no innocent bystander. Beyer is a stranger case---his dealings with Lisi were very odd. It almost seems like both Beyer and Ford had/have some sort of inexplicable crush on Lisi. Like they just don't know how to quit him.

Massoudi is in it up to his eyeballs, if you believe that Vice magazine story about him trying to hire a hacker to acquire and destroy the crack tape. Which I do. He's definitely no innocent bystander. Beyer is a stranger case---his dealings with Lisi were very odd. It almost seems like both Beyer and Ford had/have some sort of inexplicable crush on Lisi. Like they just don't know how to quit him.

I can definitely see your point on this. I just have to wonder how easy it is for someone to resign when they work for the Fords knowing how awful the Fords can be. I guess we'll find out soon enough if he's working on Ford's campaign. You have to figure they only have Doug right now from the sounds of it.

I find the Massoudi Vice story highly dubious. It sounds like during the time the story is alleged to have happened, the crack video was on a cell phone in a pencil case. It would be odd if they had it hosted anywhere accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back