News   Mar 28, 2024
 4     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Mayoral Race

I think Midtown will vote against Ford.

The population here has been Liberal-dominated for as long as I can remember and consists for the most part of university-educated households, condo-dwellers, transit users, and rental buildings with near downtown-level rent prices. Not exactly demographics that Ford excels in.

The one possible candidate who could really shake things up for both Karen Stintz and David Soknacki is Denzil Minnan-Wong.

Actually, the one sitting councillor who could really shake things up for *everybody* is Michael Thompson--except that it's increasingly likely he won't be bidding for the top job. But I'd definitely rank him above Minnan-Wong as a sleeper blockbuster...

Yet without the councillors behind him or her, the mayor may or may not be able to get his or her agenda done.

We saw that clearly with Rob Ford. He had the support of the councillors during the early first year, but over time he got less and less support. It ended by the end of 2013, when most of his powers were transferred to the deputy mayor.

Without compromise, without support, without "playing well with others", without listening, the mayor could become a lame duck very quickly.

Yet without the councillors behind him or her, the mayor may or may not be able to get his or her agenda done.

We saw that clearly with Rob Ford. He had the support of the councillors during the early first year, but over time he got less and less support. It ended by the end of 2013, when most of his powers were transferred to the deputy mayor.

Without compromise, without support, without "playing well with others", without listening, the mayor could become a lame duck very quickly.

And in the highly unlikely scenario of a Ford victory, the council would quickly vote to strip him of his powers again.

Actually, the one sitting councillor who could really shake things up for *everybody* is Michael Thompson--except that it's increasingly likely he won't be bidding for the top job. But I'd definitely rank him above Minnan-Wong as a sleeper blockbuster...

I don't much about Thompson. He seems like he is a bit of a broing speaker. But he definitely has a lot more vitality than MW. Thompson was able to take on Ford's bullying ways and turn it back on him. MW seems like waffling pushover. Anyone would be better than MW, except Ford. Karen Stinz, Kristyn Wong Tam, even Josh Matlow, etc, would be better than Minnan Wong in terms of life force.
But I have hopes for Sokacki as well. :) I hope he pulls it together. He needs to think big picture more and give the city a sense of his vision, since Ford has none, and we have lived without it for 4 years.

And in the highly unlikely scenario of a Ford victory, the council would quickly vote to strip him of his powers again.

I don't know if they could. If Ford gets re-elected, the lunatics will have truly taken over the asylum and gained legitimacy. I predict it will trigger a dramatic braindrain from the city if that happens.

Chow would tax and spend this city too death, her NDP platform wouldnt fly...Tory has a chance...

How could it be any worse than ford, who's dramatically raising taxes to pay for a subway that only an elite few will use?

Why do Chow and Tory lack "fiscal sense"?
I'm not saying they do or don't, but that I want new candidates that have these traits. Basically I would like to see some new blood, new ideas, from a new person, not just recycling of current and former politicians down the food chain from Feb-Prov to city.

I'm not saying they do or don't, but that I want new candidates that have these traits. Basically I would like to see some new blood, new ideas, from a new person, not just recycling of current and former politicians down the food chain from Feb-Prov to city.

So what you're saying is, you want Rob Ford from 2010.

Chow would tax and spend this city too death, her NDP platform wouldnt fly...Tory has a chance...

After decades of underinvestment in the cities infrastructure, I can think of no better thing than a mayor that is willing to tax and spend. Taxing and spending is exactly what Toronto needs.

Back