1.7K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 601     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing as there has been no police press conference, and this latest report from the Star that Smith's murder was not related to the video, I am getting the sinking feeling that the Teflon Mayor may live to see another day...

This is what happens when one side, following ethics rules is against another side that's not afraid to skirt the law. In things like a race to find a video, waiting a week essentially equates to losing.

I'm sure she was just appeasing the media, which weren't satisfied with just occupying City Hall....they were starting to hound Queen's Park as well. Although she couldn't ignore the media on the subject, to me she clearly looked annoyed that she had been dragged into it by the media.

Your wrong. Do I also detect a hint of annoyance with the fifth estate?

Off topic for a bit:

There is no advantage in that for the TTC.

Actually there are great advantages, like increased commuter traffic for one, however, you have to look at the advantages of the whole of transit in the GTA (or beyond).

It's not necessary anyway. Toronto fought hard and won the right to more power to generate it's own revenue. We were smart and started to use this power. Then we were really stupid and backtracked.

We need funding from upper levels, but we also need to utilize our own revenue tools to our advantage before looking elsewhere

I agree, our present mayoral level of government have their collective head stuck firmly up their collective ass, one for not recognizing their own reports (which taxpayers paid for) and two condescend to people like Byford. If they can't act like adults then they will be treated like children.

Back to our regularly scheduled program:

I'm personally tired of Ford getting up in front of people and using "I" instead of "WE" for decisions made by the council, and "THEY" when he does not get HIS way.

Last edited:
I'll just file that rumor in the "too good to be true" file with all the rest, I guess.

I'm not saying that The Star -- and everybody else for that matter -- isn't working hard to uncover more information and obtain the video though. But I haven't seen anything to indicate that that Twitter user is a reliable source.

mauditanglais ‏@larouxb 3m
Source verbatim: "Editors are in a mtg and when thru come out, they're going into lock down" #topoli #cdnpoli

Can anyone contradict this?

Robyn Doolittle and Daniel Dale haven't tweeted since that rumour was tweeted. It's entirely possible I suppose.

To be fair, Don Peat who usually tweets as frequently as Daniel Dale hasn't tweeted in a few hours so it may just be a slow day at city hall.

I'm not saying that The Star -- and everybody else for that matter -- isn't working hard to uncover more information and obtain the video though. But I haven't seen anything to indicate that that Twitter user is a reliable source.

I looked though some of his past tweets, and while there didn't seem to be much there to prove his bonafides, there also didn't seem to be much of the tinfoil hat-tery that usually goes along with people making shit up. Also, it seemed like the sort of specific info that would be so easily disproven that there wouldn't seem much point in making it up. Still, if you're still seeing Star reporters out and about, that pretty much puts a pin in it.

mauditanglais ‏@larouxb 1m
Source verbatim: "All [Toronto Star] urban affairs and investigative reporters have been called to office" #topoli #cdnpoli

Again, who knows? No one from the Star has contradicted any of this yet, I don't think.

Take everything he says with a grain of salt. He is just a random guy from twitter.

But going through his history, he has been involved in politics and the media for quite some time. That gives what he says a little more credibility.

Your wrong. Do I also detect a hint of annoyance with the fifth estate?

The media is known as "the fourth estate" - this derives from the three Estates-General in France in pre-Revolutionary times (clergy, nobility, commoners) or by the "three estates of the realm" (executive, legislative, judicial). The press was coined the fourth state by Edmund Burke.

"The Fifth Estate" is the name of a CBC investigative news show. It plays upon the term "fourth estate" to distinguish investigative journalism from plain old reporting.

But maybe annoyed that The Fifth Estate, the CBC show, hasn't been on the Fords too? Where's Linden MacIntyre?

Last edited:
Tomorrow could be a turning point. The Nathan Phillips Square chalk up and protest has registered 3,500+ attendees so even if 1/5th of them show up, that's 500+ people. Even a crowd of 100 would look like a large crowd on TV. If 1000 or more people show up, a wide shot of the square with a crowd in front of Ford's office demanding that he resign is going to hit a note. Oh the people support you? Who are those people outside? Add to that the contagious chalking up of the square added to by random passers by and we're going to have a loud united voice from Torontonians saying "RESIGN". He may not, but it will keep up the pressure and continue to destroy his populist brand.

Daniel Dale is tweeting about Will Smith. Chances are the lockdown is a lie.

Unless...they don't want people to know there's a lockdown, so they're letting people tweet about innocuous stuff.

Enh, even I don't believe that. I'd sure like to, though.

City Hall is the most symbolic but a protest in the park behind his house also sends a significant message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back