Toronto Market Street Redevelopment | ?m | 2s | Woodcliffe | Taylor Smyth

As a neibourhood local, I'm really looking forward to this change. But, I do have some concern that because of the lack of definition between pedestrian and car zones, that motorists will simply park wherever they want willy-nilly, like what happened down on the street between Sherbourne Common and the new George Brown Watefront Campus. They eventually had to place giant rocks along the edge of the walkway area because people were constantly parking on it.

As long as signage is clear and enforcement is consistent, I'm sure this will be a huge success.

^^

Yes, now that you mention it, the last time I was at Sherbourne Common, I noticed a long row of cars parked blocking the walkway. I was wondering what was up with that, as it blocked people walking along the main walkway of the park. God, drivers in Toronto can be so completely selfish.

Last edited:
I really don't understand why Toronto has so much trouble enforcing things like the above. I've got a ticket within 2 minutes of my parking expiring (running late), yet they can't keep cars out of bike lanes and walkways for some reason.

As a neibourhood local, I'm really looking forward to this change. But, I do have some concern that because of the lack of definition between pedestrian and car zones, that motorists will simply park wherever they want willy-nilly, like what happened down on the street between Sherbourne Common and the new George Brown Watefront Campus. They eventually had to place giant rocks along the edge of the walkway area because people were constantly parking on it.

As long as signage is clear and enforcement is consistent, I'm sure this will be a huge success.

This design without a grade distinction between sidewalk and roadway is arguably the best way of pedestrianizing streets. The city has the flexibility of pedestrianizing when it works: seasonally, in the evenings and on weekends, for instance. It can be permanent, and the street will still feel like a historic street rather than an ambiguous park-like space. When not pedestrianized, there should be collapsible bollards between the roadway and sidewalk and signs with parking regulations. The signs should not be installed on those thin metal poles that are often used for parking signs because such poles would detract from the atmosphere of the street and create clutter for pedestrians.

I have just had confirmation that the City will be fixing up the east side of Market Street to match the new west side of the street and that this work will be starting in the next few weeks. Councillor McConnell and the BIA managed to find a way to deal with funding it before some already approved Section 37 funds are paid to the City.
As of last night the west side was looking very sharp and the new metal inserts at the corners to alert pedestrians are apparently the new City standard. (There has been a test of four designs at Shuter and Victoria; they appear to have selected Option D. See http://www.toronto.ca/sidewalkpilot/

I really don't understand why Toronto has so much trouble enforcing things like the above. I've got a ticket within 2 minutes of my parking expiring (running late), yet they can't keep cars out of bike lanes and walkways for some reason.

I drive up and down Sherbourne every now and then and feel like crashing into the cars that park on the bike lanes. Its so incredibly stupid. I don't get what goes through people's minds.

Just about every time I walk on Sherbourne, I see cars driving, parking, turning around or letting people out of their car, on the bike lane. It's the worst separated bike lane I've ever seen. The people who designed and approved it, should all be fired. It's definitely not safe to use. What a joke!

A building permit has been applied for for 12 Market Street (the temporary LCBO area). Sounds like a seafood place to me. Plus ca change, and all that!Proposal for interior alterations to create a restaurant greater than 30 seats in existing vacant space. New tenant is "Market Street Catch" Maximum occupant load = 30 people

Today:

q9nMCCe.jpg

mFQ6EEe.jpg

tRoFmuM.jpg

dwGlRcv.jpg

^^ Does anybody know the purpose of those poles? Won't they get in the way of large, street-side patios? They weren't in any of the renderings, I saw.

Last edited:

Back