Toronto Four Seasons Hotel and Private Residences Toronto | 203.9m | 52s | Lifetime | a—A

After all the money that has been spent on landscaping this courtyard (particularly the patterned paving stones), couldn't they do a little better than the cheap white plastic traffic cones on either side of the fountain?

The area isn't complete yet, let's wait until the garden, water feature and trees are in then look at the whole package when it's done.

They need to accept the fact that they screwed up with the location of the fountain and move it to their park, as it's new centrepiece. They need to put a new fountain base around it, and let that water flow. As it is now, it's just a reminder of their blunder and it just looks silly without the water flowing. It's the Four Seasons, they can afford to move it. I'm sure their guests are asking or at least wondering why there is no water in the fountain.

I think it'll evolve over time. They will always add things or change things. Also don't forget that they will be having an outdoor restaurant, although I'm not sure where it exactly will be going.

They need to accept the fact that they screwed up with the location of the fountain and move it to their park, as it's new centrepiece. They need to put a new fountain base around it, and let that water flow. As it is now, it's just a reminder of their blunder and it just looks silly without the water flowing. It's the Four Seasons, they can afford to move it. I'm sure their guests are asking or at least wondering why there is no water in the fountain.

Yes, it's a good example of someone being in love with a design idea so much that they are blind to the obvious failure of its execution. Not a big deal, they just need to make it work...

tim-gunn.jpg

Attachments

• tim-gunn.jpg
    tim-gunn.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 865
I was going to say the same thing. I am not sure what this space is trying to be or how it will be used by the public (if its used). It certainly needs to be enclosed in some manner so it becomes intimate in some way. Perhaps the trees will do that over time. But right now there is little (no) social space and no intimate space.

I was going to say the same thing. I am not sure what this space is trying to be or how it will be used by the public (if its used). It certainly needs to be enclosed in some manner so it becomes intimate in some way. Perhaps the trees will do that over time. But right now there is little (no) social space and no intimate space.

It's trying to be a dirtbike track. Looks pretty rad.

But I agree, they really screwed up the frontage/courtyard here. The "fountain" in particular looks ridiculous.

To everyone that says they screwed this up, you guys clearly aren't envisioning the finished product. Just wait until the trees mature a little in the summer. And they have more time to put the finishing touches. As for the fountain, not sure how anyone can say they screwed that up. Sure, not having water is a misstep, but it's still one of the most impressive pieces of public art in the city.

To everyone that says they screwed this up, you guys clearly aren't envisioning the finished product. Just wait until the trees mature a little in the summer. And they have more time to put the finishing touches. As for the fountain, not sure how anyone can say they screwed that up. Sure, not having water is a misstep, but it's still one of the most impressive pieces of public art in the city.

I actually quite like the parterre landscaping. Formal landscaping is virtually nonexistent in this city, as far as i can tell, so it's a welcomed addition... and the fountain? It's red and I like that, but it doesn't work and is oddly placed. Throws the composition off somewhat. Sorry, you put it out there and it's going to be judged!

As for the fountain, not sure how anyone can say they screwed that up. Sure, not having water is a misstep

Having a fountain with no water is more than a misstep. Its idiotic. Unless its a statue of a fountain. Oh ya that's it!

I had the opportunity to walk through both the hotel and residences this afternoon and the logic behind the fountain being void of water is the same reason the Park Hyatt Toronto fountain is not currently functional. Weather related only...

Back