News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 631     0 

Downtown Markham

The Whole Foods at Uptown Square is open, and the other stores like Bed, Bath and Beyond, and a massive LCBO are starting to open as well. For a big-box retail plaza, it's actually quite nice. Once Birchmount is extended across the Rouge, this retail will feel much more connected to the rest of Markham Centre.

A photo update, as of November 9, 2012:

Warden VIVA Station:

Honeywell:

Space between the transitway and Rouge Bijou - does anyone know what they're going to put here? Right now its just a big sea of dirt:

The three Verdale condos, which IMO turned out fairly nice (except for the fact that most of it is precast):

The Benchmark townhomes, which are starting to grow on me, but I wished they'd use more colour; it seems so dull and lifeless now:

Nexus South and Nexus North, both of which have topped out:

And finally, Rouge Bijou:

It will probably look more lively once the trees form more of a canopy. It still looks too clean right now. I could cope with living there, though!

Yep, lots of attention to detail ! But sorry the townhouses are just ugly ... worse in person ... I mean if there were a couple only intermixed with others it would have been better !

Thanks for the snaps Mafalda.

I can't quite put my finger on it, or how I feel exactly about the area. It almost seems like a human scaled Sim City with buildings virtually popping up from no where and not a pedestrian (understandably) around.

Go Transit location great. Density great. Sidewalks and landscaping are above grade. I find the podiums of the "three sisters" condos to be cold and monotonous. And all the condos, while the materials and workmanship look good, seem straight out of a year 2000 "New Condos" guide. I guess it's Sim City 2000.

Never thought I'd say this, but the area could use more glass.

Last edited:
That's coming with the hotel and Ciniplex currently under construction. I wonder web the next condo phase is going to be announced?

It's also understandable that this lacks street life right now as there is no retail. There will be some in the bottom of the buildings currently U/C, and especially once the Ciniplex opens. But it could be 5-10 years before you see any significant street life here.

The buildings and sidewalk treatments are not bad (not great either, but not bad). What I don't understand is why this North American insistence with massively wide streets.

On the residential townhome areas, one way streets with parking on one side and bike lanes would suffice and give the surroundings a whole lot more charm.

The car-oriented suburbs of many Western European countries function perfectly well with a lot less than that, while creating friendlier spaces for people:

https://maps.google.ca/?ll=55.59678...=A-8dFl_DeSFyysYVHN-66w&cbp=12,181.64,,0,7.58

Great photos, MafaldaBoy!

That's coming with the hotel and Cineplex currently under construction. I wonder web the next condo phase is going to be announced?

The Cineplex and first phase of retail/restos are under construction. The hotel (Marriott) hasn't started construction yet, and I think the residential attached to it will be the next phase of condos to be released. It's building J at the northeast corner of Birchmount and Enterprise (across from Nexus).

buildingj.jpg

Space between the transitway and Rouge Bijou - does anyone know what they're going to put here? Right now its just a big sea of dirt:

That's a good question. It looks like extra-wide sidwalks (maybe the plan is to widen Enterprise later on?):

dm5.jpg

I thought I heard Earls is going here too ... crappy over rated chain ... but high end nonetheless.

Stopped by again today, Nexus condos have most windows installed (great streetwall along Birchmount IMO) and elevator shafts sprouting up from Cineplex site.
Next phase of condos will be the Marriott condo-hotel building, called The Signature Collection:

7jtmdeR.jpg

Back