News   Apr 24, 2024
 935     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 613     0 

OneCity Plan

to me if they dont build the waterfront west lrt soon I have no reason to like any of the other projects being proposed. Seems like a huge waste some of these subways. Scarborough gets the most out of this which is unfair to the rest of Toronto.

the RT doesn't travel to sheppard.. there would be no infrastructure to reuse. and besides, it isn't much cheaper to re-purpose existing infrastructure than it is to build new. (see the subway replacement of the RT)

also, the etobicoke express will basically be the ARL upgraded, probably run by GO having a station every couple of kilometres, probably with 10-15 minute headways. hard to cut, as it is basically upgraded service on an already existing line, and impossible to merge into the DME. the stouffville InRail on the other hand appears to be a fully fledged subway run by the TTC.. and is completely useless below sheppard as it just runs parallel to other subway lines.

Last edited:
Keithz:

Bold words. Please remind me who you voted for in the last municipal election and what his past and current stance on taxing the residents for transit specific improvements?

AoD

Given that I wasn't a Toronto resident at the time, I didn't get a mayoral vote. On a personal level, I actually leaned towards Smitherman. Truth be told, I may well have spoiled my ballot if given the chance to vote though.

If Stintz runs with this plan, she'll have my vote locked in now.

Quite frankly those individuals are non-issues at this point - they had their chance and they blew it.

AoD

Yeah, the 3 mouthpieces have pretty much lost all relevance. If the centre-right block on council votes for this (like they did with Transit City), there's nothing they can do except whine on the radio.

Rob Ford has stated that "taxpayers cannot afford" OneCity.

Really Rob? If households can't afford 50¢ a day in extra taxes, they have bigger problems. If it's really that big of an issue, pump 3.5L less gas when you fill up once a week.

Yeah, the 3 mouthpieces have pretty much lost all relevance. If the centre-right block on council votes for this (like they did with Transit City), there's nothing they can do except whine on the radio.

The three mouthpieces may have little influence with council these days, but that doesn't mean their spouting off can't poison public opinion.

The three mouthpieces may have little influence with council these days, but that doesn't mean their spouting off can't poison public opinion.

We'll just how many Ford lemmings were among the Scaberians who were campaigning for a Scarborough subway. We'll see how many of them just wanted the subway for free. Let's see how many bail when they realize that they actually have to PAY for it.

Hopefully the majority of them will still want it though, even after they find out that it'll cost them a whopping 50¢/day. We know that the majority of Transit City supporters will be supporting this plan, because they tended to be left-leaning pro-transit people anyway.

Regarding the Bloor-Yonge station upgrade, both station platforms should be redesigned to be Spanish solution, just like the Sheppard line platform of Sheppard-Yonge Station and both platforms of Five Points Station in Atlanta.

Inside_Sheppard_station_%28across_platforms_on_Sheppard_line%29.JPG

Sheppard-Yonge station

Five-Points-EB1x.jpg

Five Points station in Atlanta

This way, it can handle a much larger capacity (and the Toronto Rocket can easily accommodate these types of stations).

Hopefully the majority of them will still want it though, even after they find out that it'll cost them a whopping 50¢/day. We know that the majority of Transit City supporters will be supporting this plan, because they tended to be left-leaning pro-transit people anyway.

That's 50¢/day per household too, not individual. A family of four is looking at 12.5¢/day per person.

Regarding the Bloor-Yonge station upgrade, both station platforms should be redesigned to be Spanish solution, just like the Sheppard line platform of Sheppard-Yonge Station and both platforms of Five Points Station in Atlanta.

This way, it can handle a much larger capacity (and the Toronto Rocket can easily accommodate these types of stations).

I am not sure how this "Spanish Solution" works. If the centre platform is for exiting passengers and the side platform for entering, then the door openings must be staggered (either physically or time delayed) to give the exitters time (and space) to leave before the entering passengers come in. If the time delay is not long enough - which it invariably is since different cars have different loads - will some exitting passengers be trapped by the entering crowd. Are there also not a few people who try to exit through the entrance doors and really mess up the passenger flow?

Or is it just an extra set of doors and people can exit or enter through whichever side they want.

And they would have to reconstruct the station over a long weekend since closing Bloor station for any amount of time is out of the question.

Already the Ford brothers and his lapdogs are against OneCity plan, as expected.

See this video link from CityNews where "Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gave his thoughts on TTC chair Karen Stintz’s proposed plan to completely revamp transit in the city."

Mayor Rob Ford calls new TTC proposal ‘ridiculous’

There really is no point to a WW LRT if you bring the subway to Roncesvalles, along Queen. The 501s biggest problem is Queen St. The Humber Bay ROW and Lake Shore in Etobicoke is clear sailing for the streetcar.
What does bringing the subway to Rocesvalles have to do with the WW LRT? The WW LRT will be south of Queen St

the yonge bloor reno would likely be built like the union expansion is being built, with constant service, but taking 3 years to do rather than a couple of months if it was done with the station closed.

Back