News   May 03, 2024
 708     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 457     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 235     0 

OneCity Plan

I have two issues with this plan:

1) It's not really a transit plan in as much as it is a summary of previous transit plans. It's more a funding idea.

2) Any transit plan that relies on a broke provincial government and a federal government that's unwilling to commit to regular funding of municipal infrastructure is dead on arrival. And unless you get an NDP majority in Ottawa, I consider it highly unlikely that any Liberal or Conservative government will change course and start plowing billions into municipal infrastructure. From their perspective, they vacated territory in the tax structure and they expect provinces to up that room if necessary, or cede that ground to municipalities.

Comparing recent transit politics in Toronto and Ottawa (I'm in the process of moving from the latter to the former over the coming weeks), I'm struck by how utterly cowardly Toronto politicians are. In Toronto, the entire debate was about how to spend billions of provincial dollars. Not a single thought given to how much the city could pitch in to bolster the plan. Sheppard for example, could have been built as a subway, if the city was willing to contribute over and above provincial and federal funding for the corridor. Or that money could have even gone to further LRT expansion. In Ottawa, a city with far higher property taxes than Toronto, the city will be paying at least a third of the cost of their $2.1 billion LRT, and picking up cost overruns.

It leaves me with the conclusion that my hometown deserves its current morass. A political class that is absolutely unwilling to invest political capital in proper infrastructure expansion (resulting in useless debates on HRT vs. LRT). And a citizenry that is so selfish, that despite paying some of the lowest property taxes in the province, they are unwilling to stomach modest tax increase to pay for the necessary infrastructure. If there's a place that deserves 1 hour long commutes. It's Toronto.

a bridge over the don valley could easily cost a billion dollars, as the span will likely have to be upwards of a thousand feet.. (or maybe 300 with a couple of middle pillars)

toronto will be paying for any cost overruns on transit city, and it is stated that they will be paying 1/3 of this plan..

Last edited:
Keithz:

Bold words. Please remind me who you voted for in the last municipal election and what his past and current stance on taxing the residents for transit specific improvements?

AoD

This looks more like a marketing gimmick for what has already been planned rather than anything new. It's nice to see that the DRL is actually getting some serious attention from City Hall. I'd like to see some West End councillors try to get the western branch of the line into the plans though. It's also nice to see that the Kingston Rd. BRT and the Don Mills LRT are still on the table as we've heard next to nothing about those plans for a few years now.

I'll echo some of the concerns others have brought up already. The Finch LRT extension to Yonge doesn't make much sense if the Sheppard subway is being extended to Downsview. The upgrades to Yonge-Bloor look too expensive, especially if the DRL is going to be relieving Bloor-to-Yonge transfers. The plans for the Portlands are conspicuous by their absence.

Some parts of the network look like they've been planned anticipating that there will be cuts - the zoo extension, for example. The Jane LRT south of Eglinton looks like a money pit.

As for the BD extension into Scarborough, I wonder if it may be more cost effective to just grade separate the Eglinton LRT fully and connect it up with the SRT. If the goal is a one seat ride to Yonge, that seems to me like a better use of resources.

The Scarborough and Etobicoke Express lines look like they're just GO improvements being marketed as part of the TTC network to assure those along those lines that they are getting something.

This plan really is a testament to the failures of Metrolinx. They're increasingly starting to look like a body whose sole service is to pay lip service to regional transit planning without pursuing that planning, nor the financing of those plans, nearly aggressively enough. It doesn't seem fair to ask Toronto taxpayers to bear the total cost of a network which will benefit the entire GTA in one way or another. I have mixed feelings towards this financing plan. If it encourages Metrolinx and the province to step up with they're final financing plans, that's great, but it could also derail those plans. At the very least, it's nice to know that there's a back up plan insulating transit expansion in Toronto from the politics at Queen's Park.

A war on the suburbs? Most of the transit is being proposed for the suburbs, and a lot of it is subways. Wasn't that what they were asking for?

All this proves is that these elected folks are not interested in building transit at all. Sheppard is simply lipservice to the suburbs- and a front in eliminating Transit City altogether.

The first 3 or 4 years of the tax funds are spoken for with those 2 projects, but after that it's wide open. Which means that it's between Sheppard West and the Don Mills Subway to fight for those funds. Given the relative priorities, I would hope that the DMS would be ahead of SW.

A Yonge extension to Steeles will beat both out though it won't carry any actual riders and just be used to store out of service trains.

nautilus:

Not going to happen, from a regulatory, planning and funding perspective - besides, while individual projects should proceed in a tighter timeframe, I am not sure if the plan as proposed is optimized for cost vs. benefit.

AoD

you have the same concerns as me... what I would like to see as a finalized version of the plan;

red = subway (i included the eglinton LRT in this where it is grade separated)
blue = LRT
yellow = the rail corridor lines

I didn`t bother with the BRT and streetcar extensions as I am completely satisfied with the plans for them.

what the current plan is:

onecity.jpg

what I would like it to look like:

onecity2-1.jpg

the 7 billion saved from the removal of the stouffville line goes into the extension of the DRL to sheppard, as well as to bloor in the west, as well as a further extension of the bloor line north of sheppard to replace the cancelled stouffville line. The 2.6 billion saved on the removal of the don mills LRT and the finch west LRT goes towards the extension of the bloor line to sherway gardens.

Perhaps you could also kill the Etobicoke Express, and simply run the "Don Mills Express" along a similar path. I would also have put on the Ellesmere BRT on the map, as it is to be a higher order transit line (arguably more so than most of the LRT lines pictured). However, instead of running it to McCowan, I would end it at Morningside to connect with hopefully single Eglinton-Scarborough LRT route.

just curious, the BD extension discussed, will it still stop at Scarb town centre? (per the onecity site, it seems it will, but ive read conflicting info in this thread).

I think a BD ext that doesnt hit STC is dumb, but i really like and always have supported a subway extension.

Is McCowan and Sheppard a high density area? I believe that extension to Sheppard is to have a connection to the SELRT. Thus, most people north of 401 will require a transfer anyways to get on the new subway.

I always thought stopping the subway at STC is a better solution. Then have an LRT follow the currently planned SRT corridor from Malvern to STC and Midland (not the railway corridor portion). This would re-use a couple of kilometres of existing infrastructure instead of abandoning it. I haven't figured out yet if this should end at Midland, or continue on Ellesmere to Don Mills Road, or somehow go back up north to Sheppard on Kennedy or Vic Park.

Back