News   May 23, 2024
 376     0 
News   May 23, 2024
 616     0 
News   May 22, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Rob Ford wants subways, not streetcars

This sentence shows that you have zero grasp of financial reality. It shows you have no clue on why assets are treated differently than liabilities.

This pretty well explains it: http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?3291-St-Clair-ROW&p=417051#post417051

He's not interested in an intelligent debate, just trolling and yanking people's chains.

^ um, hello, I'm injecting wry humour into my posts on purpose. It's all apart of my online persona, not how I act IRL.

To all people taking my posts too literally, chill out.

This pretty well explains it: http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?3291-St-Clair-ROW&p=417051#post417051

He's not interested in an intelligent debate, just trolling and yanking people's chains.

I am interested in having an intelligent debate, but if everyone's going to just gang up on me and completely take my posts out of context, then I may as well enjoy myself while I'm here. Go back through this thread and see the number of times I've attempted to present a well-documented and analyzed case study of how Bus Rapid Transit is effective in other northern industrialized cities and how it could be implemented here in Toronto. Every time I've gotten flamed for daring to question the authority of LRT gurus like Steve Munro.

Here is a quote from one of Fresh Start's "well documented and analyzed" studies": "f one Orion hybrid-electric bus lasts for 18-21 years and one Bombardier LRV lasts 30 years, then shockingly the bus with the shorter life span is the better investment." I wonder how you claim to this conclusion, considering the TTC has decided not to order any more hybrids due to maintenance issues.

but if everyone's going to just gang up on me and completely take my posts out of context,
... sorry, I thought the context was that you were supporting Rob Ford, who is the most anti-transit mayoral candidate I've ever seen.

Clearly you are not interested in transit, and merely are trying to create trouble.

Go away troll.

The outer 416 (and 905 for that matter) would have a preference towards Rob Ford because of his pro-automobile attitudes. He seems to think that crude oil will be cheap and available forever. What will have when the crude oil runs out. He is just living short-term, not long-term.
He seems to think that? How about a quote where he actually says that?

As for oil running out, the world has more proven oil reserves today than 30 years ago. Back then there were many studies and media stories warning that we'd run out of oil 30-50 years down the road. Today the major worry is higher prices due to rising demand, not dwindling supply.

... sorry, I thought the context was that you were supporting Rob Ford, who is the most anti-transit mayoral candidate I've ever seen.
Interesting. I can only assume you've come to this conclusion because you, unlike the general public, have already seen his detailed transit plan. So what's in it?

He seems to think that? How about a quote where he actually says that?

As for oil running out, the world has more proven oil reserves today than 30 years ago. Back then there were many studies and media stories warning that we'd run out of oil 30-50 years down the road. Today the major worry is higher prices due to rising demand, not dwindling supply.

Those "proven reserves" seem to be in areas where it's not easy, nor cheap to access. Now I hear companies want to drill in the Arctic??

Interesting. I can only assume you've come to this conclusion because you, unlike the general public, have already seen his detailed transit plan. So what's in it?

Rob Ford wants to get rid of streetcars, and his director of policy wants to sell off the TTC to pay down debt. And Mr. Ford has not even brought out a transit plan yet. Rob Ford is anti-transit.

Hey guys..............I do not agree with everything FreshStart says but that is the same with everyone. This a forum where people are free to express their views in an intelligent and respectful manner. In other words get of his back and keep your personal comments to yourself.

As far as myself I have always been a supporter of LRT but BRT definatly has it's benefits and can be an excellent alternative to expensive LRT where the expense of building the LRT is not compatible with it's lower ridership levels. BRT also can be very effective using such things as hydro corridors. Ottawa and Curitiba are excellent examples.
Contrary to what many think on this forum I am not "anti-LRT" but I am anti-TC. In NA LRT refers to rapid transit and TC isn't but it sure as hell is costing as much. TC was a good idea that has been incredible poorly executed. The TTC and Metrolinx always refer to TC as "rapid transit" but if anyone here knows of a rapid transit system that stops every 2 to 3 blocks, all lights, all left hand turns at the lights, and doesn't have one line that actually crosses the city and makes you transfer onto another train head the exact same way them I'm all ears.
This is a suburban system but TC could still be salvaged into something Torontonians will want to take for fast transit. All tunneled areas should be 120 metres to acommodate 4 of the new Bombardier TC trains. There is one way to turn TC from a streetcar to a mass/rapid transit system and that is to get rid of the at least half the stops. Stops should average about 1.25 to 1.5 km depending on the area.......................some less some more. Where they are not stopping but there is a light they should go underneath the road and rise right up to continue along it's ROW. Actual stations could stop at lights and then take off again at street level like a regular streetcar. Yes you still have to wait for one light every 1-1.5km but really no longer than a subway stop and by not having to go underground and pay the fare attendant the time would be the same as subway. Subway speed with streetcar cost. That is the kind of system Torontonians would prefer as would the vehicles and businesses along the roadway.

Hey guys..............I do not agree with everything FreshStart says but that is the same with everyone. This a forum where people are free to express their views in an intelligent and respectful manner. In other words get of his back and keep your personal comments to yourself.

As far as myself I have always been a supporter of LRT but BRT definatly has it's benefits and can be an excellent alternative to expensive LRT where the expense of building the LRT is not compatible with it's lower ridership levels. BRT also can be very effective using such things as hydro corridors. Ottawa and Curitiba are excellent examples.
Contrary to what many think on this forum I am not "anti-LRT" but I am anti-TC. In NA LRT refers to rapid transit and TC isn't but it sure as hell is costing as much. TC was a good idea that has been incredible poorly executed. The TTC and Metrolinx always refer to TC as "rapid transit" but if anyone here knows of a rapid transit system that stops every 2 to 3 blocks, all lights, all left hand turns at the lights, and doesn't have one line that actually crosses the city and makes you transfer onto another train head the exact same way them I'm all ears.
This is a suburban system but TC could still be salvaged into something Torontonians will want to take for fast transit. All tunneled areas should be 120 metres to acommodate 4 of the new Bombardier TC trains. There is one way to turn TC from a streetcar to a mass/rapid transit system and that is to get rid of the at least half the stops. Stops should average about 1.25 to 1.5 km depending on the area.......................some less some more. Where they are not stopping but there is a light they should go underneath the road and rise right up to continue along it's ROW. Actual stations could stop at lights and then take off again at street level like a regular streetcar. Yes you still have to wait for one light every 1-1.5km but really no longer than a subway stop and by not having to go underground and pay the fare attendant the time would be the same as subway. Subway speed with streetcar cost. That is the kind of system Torontonians would prefer as would the vehicles and businesses along the roadway.

Ssiguy2, you know about nothing except monorail. I suggust that you take a look at this webite, and get a clue: Toronto LRT Information Page

lolzers.
No.

It's news to those proponents of tramsit city. Else, there would not be any construction of the tram west of Kennedy.

If you don't live here, why the frack are you commenting on Toronto city issues, then?

Riiiight, because a smorgasbord of people wouldn't have any incentive at all to transfer off their inbound bus trips at Eglinton rather than go all the way south to Bloor. Because a subway along here wouldn't be feeding directly into the 20th busiest airport in all the world. Because it wouldn't take a Humber College student less time to commute from a Highway 27 subway stop than taking the 191 from Kipling Stn or the loppypop guild LRT line across from Finch West Stn.

And because people like you do nothing but quote from the neocon playbook.

Is there a residency requirement for membership at UrbanToronto?

He/she has as much of a right to comment as you do.

No when what they come up with doesn't work for Toronto, is just a bashing of Mayor Miller and his policies, or is just more of the same old thing that Toronto's done already. And as for the right to comment, this gentleman-who lives here and has forgotten more about transit than you or I ever have-has been shouted down and redbaited for no good reason, all because he supports Transit City. What happened to his right to comment?

Rob Ford wants to get rid of streetcars, and his director of policy wants to sell off the TTC to pay down debt. And Mr. Ford has not even brought out a transit plan yet. Rob Ford is anti-transit.
Well which is it -- he officially proposed getting rid of streetcars, or he hasn't even brought out a transit plan yet? Can't be both.

Do you think Rob Ford has detailed plans on anything?
What I know is that he has promised to release a detailed transit plan. Whether he does, or how "detailed" it will be, time will tell.

What I think is that I'm skeptical.

Ssiguy2, you know about nothing except monorail. I suggust that you take a look at this webite, and get a clue: Toronto LRT Information Page
Link doesn't work for me.

No when what they come up with doesn't work for Toronto, is just a bashing of Mayor Miller and his policies, or is just more of the same old thing that Toronto's done already. And as for the right to comment, this gentleman-who lives here and has forgotten more about transit than you or I ever have-has been shouted down and redbaited for no good reason, all because he supports Transit City. What happened to his right to comment?
Nothing. Show me where any moderators have banned or censored him. As far as I know, he was and still is free to post here anytime he wants. And there are plenty of TC supporters around here as well as detractors. Instead, after being challenged here on an open forum, he now prefers to stick to his own forum where he can (and does) control the show, which is fine -- I have no problem with that. But your complaints are baseless and infantile.

Back