637     1 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
I guess I over simplified things. Mostly I'm just frustrated by the whole process of presenting projects and than waiting decades for them to be built. I'm not an architect but I have a more logical way of thinking. My thinking goes that once you announce a project you should be ready to built it soon. So maybe I'm frustrated that many projects here are announced way too early when they just have an idea. This causes people to get their hopes up, and then down when they don't see any progress, or it is invisible. A good example of this is the Spadina subway project. This has been around for more than 10 years now and still nothing is happening. The same thing is happening with the waterfront.

I'm frustrated that any tiny momentum that transpires when a project is announced and funding provided is wasted by bureaucracy and red tape. I'm hoping this project wont meet the same fate.

I am sure many people on this forum understand where you are coming from. We all want progress and it just cant seem to come quick enough!

That said, its the unfortunate reality of our system. Nothing was done on the subway extension simply because there wasnt the commitment to fund the project. And when funds are scarce... what do you spend money on? The urgent priorities and simply maintaining levels of service... or on funding planning and analysis for a project that may or may not come true?

I guess we will all have to be patient but the main problem is public support begins to wane if no results are visible. The TTC is touting their own horn too early by its massive ad campaign for Transit City as if these lines will open tomorrow and people can ride them.

In tough times transit is even more important to get people around, since some people may now not be able to afford having a car. Lets hope 2009 will be a good year for transit and we will finally see some construction begin on a major LRT/subway line.

I guess we will all have to be patient but the main problem is public support begins to wane if no results are visible. The TTC is touting their own horn too early by its massive ad campaign for Transit City as if these lines will open tomorrow and people can ride them.

That is kinda how public funding works.

1) Propose or leak project
2) Judge reaction
3) If reaction is mostly positive try to find funding and take credit, otherwise scuttle the project and blame a staffer for bringing it up.

One would think it is part of their strategy to engage Torontonians, who will then support Miller's strong call for federal funds, specifically for TC.

Lets hope the feds get enlightened and bring in a budget that funds MoveOntario2020's $6B federal component, which includes Transit City.

Lets hope the feds get enlightened and bring in a budget that funds MoveOntario2020's $6B federal component, which includes Transit City.

I really hope this happens but am skeptical that they will announce funding for the whole 6 billion. I really hope I am wrong though.

Is it me or anyone else saw the Transit city ad in the subway trains with the usual text about LRT and 175 millions new customers but this time:

With a regular STREETCAR on the background???
So are they admitting that it will be another but more expensive ST-Clair and Spadina project.

Those 2 were supposed to be fast but due to compromise to go easy on car drivers, it made them slow due to poor lights priority.

I kind of dont mind but not for Sheppard east and Eglington who both should be Subways

I think Transit City should go ahead but I agree with the thought that Eglinton W. and Sheppard E. should be subways. Sheppard makes no sense not to complete it to STC- and maybe in the west to Downsview.

Is it me or anyone else saw the Transit city ad in the subway trains with the usual text about LRT and 175 millions new customers but this time:

With a regular STREETCAR on the background???
So are they admitting that it will be another but more expensive ST-Clair and Spadina project.

Those 2 were supposed to be fast but due to compromise to go easy on car drivers, it made them slow due to poor lights priority.

I kind of dont mind but not for Sheppard east and Eglington who both should be Subways

I believe that ad was put out by the ATU, not the TTC. So I don't think they are admitting anything.

Those ads which feature the union logos (was this the "Where no streetcar has gone before" ads?) are put out jointly, if I recall correctly. The joint TTC/ATU-CUPE-IBEW ads are usually amongst the worst ones out there for the TTC.

I have a feeling that the costs will balloon because the TTC blew the budget on posters and ads.

i'd imagine that only thing that cost them with those was to have them printed wchich shouldn't asmount to too much, except for the one or two posts on highway billboards apart from those few the rest weren't charged to be put in the subway cars.

I think Transit City should go ahead but I agree with the thought that Eglinton W. and Sheppard E. should be subways. Sheppard makes no sense not to complete it to STC- and maybe in the west to Downsview.

I pretty much agree.
What MIGHT make the Sheppard thing happen (at least to Downsview) is that they need a new rail yard for the Yonge extension. One option is to expand Wilson and connect Sheppard to Downsview. Seems like a win-win to me but they are doing a staff report on how to solve the yard thing for later this year.

I pretty much agree.
What MIGHT make the Sheppard thing happen (at least to Downsview) is that they need a new rail yard for the Yonge extension. One option is to expand Wilson and connect Sheppard to Downsview. Seems like a win-win to me but they are doing a staff report on how to solve the yard thing for later this year.

yea this is true whne i went to the last yonge extension meeting i talked to one of the TTC planners and asked him about the missing downsview to sheppard link and he said that that was his next project to see if it was worth it to build that for the subway yard at wilson.

Back