1.7K     3 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
Why couldn't they have put the transformers under the platforms? Could it be the possibly of maintenance, transformer fires, etc. In one of my suggestions to melt snow on platforms, I mentioned using ground source heat pumps. Couldn't the tubes used to extract the heat from the ground be shifted over the transformers to capture the heat generated? Experiments may be needed to see how much heat can be used without blocking ventilation to the vault.

Transformers under the platform would probably cause issues for maintenance and comfort in the summer but running a heat pipe in the platform around local heat sources (like transformers) might be practical from an engineering standpoint.

The big trick here is bureaucracy. Getting two departments to coordinate work at the same time is challenging, as St. Clair experienced, and getting them to work out detailed common design and coordinated maintenance might prove very difficult.

Its been a while since I have asked, but how far off are shovels in the ground now? Are we still talking about late 2009, early 2010?

Hopefully by the end of the year. The first lines are fully funded and should be in the detailed design phase now. But, you know how these things can be...

Hopefully by the end of the year. The first lines are fully funded and should be in the detailed design phase now. But, you know how these things can be...

Is that the Sheppard East line? And any word on when the Eglinton line will get underway?

(I recall that the vast majority of those who visited the Transit City Web site voted for the Eglinton line -- but can't find that Web site anymore. Anyone know if it has been taken down?)

The first three priorities are Sheppard East, Finch West and Eglinton, if i recall correctly. We're looking at 2009, 2010 and 2011 starts if my memory is correct.

The City is doing this baclwards. Eglinton should first, since it will carry the most ppl and costs the most money....

This is the TTC we're talking about. Of course their priorities are wrong. Both Sheppard East and Eglinton should be subway, not LRT. As if Sheppard East wasn't a bungle to begin with, they're just bungling it more. Good job TTC. Force another transfer or two.

The City is doing this baclwards. Eglinton should first, since it will carry the most ppl and costs the most money....

Eglinton is by far the most complicated route. The city can't just hire some guys to rip up the street and start building a tunnel tomorrow.

If the city is planning to start construction in 2009, 2010 and 2011 for Sheppard, Finch and Eglinton respectively, when may we predict these lines open? Hopefully Sheppard and Finch will be up and running by 2020 (if St. Clair construction times are any indication it may be 2025). :)

Eglinton is by far the most complicated route.

And by far the most desired route, by actually-existing transit users. Why would being complicated justify starting it later? Given the clear preference for it, shouldn't the Eglinton be first to start getting built?

Similarly, given all the sneering at the Sheppard subway, why so much enthusiasm for starting the Sheppard/Finch stub LRTs before all else?

Yeah, It's really stupid how the "rapid transit" is on different streets instead of providing through service. I guess they can't keep it entirely on SHeppard, as they'd look like idiots for not extending the subway instead, and doing it all on finch would keep the existing Sheppard subway less useful.

And by far the most desired route, by actually-existing transit users. Why would being complicated justify starting it later? Given the clear preference for it, shouldn't the Eglinton be first to start getting built?

Similarly, given all the sneering at the Sheppard subway, why so much enthusiasm for starting the Sheppard/Finch stub LRTs before all else?

The city of Toronto has multiple planning/engineering crews and began work on the first three projects around the same time. Eglinton took longer to plan and will take longer to build because it's the most complex.

If you can get other crews to work on other lines at the same time, why on earth would you tell them to stop?

Yeah, It's really stupid how the "rapid transit" is on different streets instead of providing through service. I guess they can't keep it entirely on SHeppard, as they'd look like idiots for not extending the subway instead, and doing it all on finch would keep the existing Sheppard subway less useful.

Through service will be eventually built using a Don Mills connector

Eglinton is by far the most complicated route. The city can't just hire some guys to rip up the street and start building a tunnel tomorrow.

When the Eglinton Subway was canceled by the anti-transit Mike Harris government, there were subway plans already drawn up. However, those plans were only from Allen Road west to Black Creek. Additional underground plans have to be drawn up from Allen Road east over to Brentcliffe Road, plus the above ground plans in both the east and west. The eastern underground plans will take more time and underground construction takes longer.

I was thinking, if all the transit city lines were built, there is a lot of things to decide. Whould they be numbered like real streetcars, cush as 514 Eglinton, or 518 Jane?? What would the lines look like on maps. the TTC might still try to sell it as "rapid transit", so would it be classified with subways, would it be on the sparate subway map, or in the subway trains?? Will they really keep the lame names like Eglinton Crosstown, or Finch-Etobicoke?? In general, what will these LRT's be?? I guess they might just come up with a new category. How will they incorporate them into the existing system?? Any thoughts??

Back