News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 565     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 856     0 

St Lawrence Market

I assume they are laying pavers on top of the precast concrete and making this section “accessible” for future requirements. The previous sections were poured. I didn’t check what was under this area. Maybe the mysterious unknown services as previously mentioned. There were a few hats looking at this on Feb 14.
Pictures from Tuesday and Wednesday.

View attachment 458431

View attachment 458432

View attachment 458429

View attachment 458430
Yes, pavers on top of the concrete 'lids' - like the north side. I understand that any problematic 'underground infrastructure' was right at FlatIron and in the area from Scott to Yonge - where, I think, no trees are planned. The more major problems are at the Scott/Wellington intersection.

Just in time for the snow!

Wellington Construction Update

March 1, 2023

RE: Wellington Street Construction
As construction continues on Wellington St E , our contractor will be resuming underground electrical work on the week of March 6th . There will be two construction crews on site working simultaneously from the week of March 6th until early May. One crew will be working above ground on the south sidewalks and another crew will be working underground. Please do expect minimal disruption to pedestrian traffic.

Thank you for your patience during construction.

2B0B7A56-E9FD-42FF-98D2-215EFCA4E3FE.jpeg

Replacing the shuttered fish monger.

Wellington Construction Update

March 9, 2023

RE: Wellington Street E Construction
As construction continues on Wellington St E , our contractor has reduced the open lanes on Wellington St E to one westbound lane in the north curb lane on Wellington St E from Church St to Yonge St. Over the next 2 weeks our contractor will be working on the south side of Wellington St between Church St and Yonge St:

Ongoing work over the next 2 weeks:

• Planter installation
  • Pre-cast concrete Panel Installation
  • Pole base repairs
  • Unit paver installation
As mentioned in previous updates there will be two construction crews working on Wellington St E until early May.
During this time the south sidewalks on Wellington St E will be closed until construction is completed. Our contractor is hoping to complete as much sidewalk area before traffic light installation and activation in the early summer at Wellington St E and Scott St . Future updates will highlight progress and what work is remaining. Please do expect some disruption to pedestrian traffic.

Thank you for your patience during construction.

Things are moving along.
9C4DA4C3-7C23-469A-A60C-01F1DC703B04.jpeg

6BA3F196-36E9-4A74-ABB2-405D3B8BA952.jpeg

4387BAD3-A268-4A60-9D11-DE677182CC52.jpeg

Meanwhile over on Scott St….The southern shaft has been completed and the forms removed from site. The south shaft seems shorter than the north shaft but maybe that was due to the street elevation or my counting, I still haven’t figured out how they keep dropping the shaft.
E19F7C0C-22BB-43EC-9B73-025DECCA9315.jpeg

AD4D3A58-E709-4074-B49E-0DD4E0F344BD.jpeg

E6EA36AE-DFE4-4678-9E09-31735CCA0282.jpeg

It's like watching paint dry - very slowly!

March 27, 2023

RE: Wellington Street E Construction

As sidewalk construction continues on the south side of Wellington, our contractor will start preliminary work on traffic light installation at Wellington St E and Scott St during the week of March 27th. Traffic light installation work and restoration in that particular area will take approximately 5-6 weeks to complete.

During traffic light installation there will be no through traffic at Scott St and Wellington St E
North /south traffic on Scott St at Wellington will be closed. Pedestrian access and vehicle access to the sidewalk and driveway on Scott St will be maintained during traffic light installation.

For those who are regulars at the market, has the growth of condos nearby led to a higher percentage of market customers who are locals versus tourists?

I dropped in for the first time since COVID and it felt a bit less touristy than previous visits.

For those who are regulars at the market, has the growth of condos nearby led to a higher percentage of market customers who are locals versus tourists?

I dropped in for the first time since COVID and it felt a bit less touristy than previous visits.
It really depends on the time of year, the day of the week, and the time of day.

Friday evenings are our favourite time to go -- tourists tend to visit earlier in the day, and the vendors are all fully-stocked in preparation for Saturday. Saturdays are always the most crowded and most touristy. I've visited a few times on Sundays since they started opening that day, and I was surprised it wasn't too crazy.

Weekday lunch hours have always been very busy with people from the finance district, but even though there are theoretically fewer of them now due to work-from-home it still feels pretty crowded.

I'm not sure how many of the new condo crowd visit the market regularly -- a lot of them seem to survive almost solely on food delivery apps.

I live nearby and try to go most Fridays at around lunch time (though avoiding the lunch rush). It's generally a little less busy than it used to be (nothing like the worst pandemic times of course) but I'm not sure the mix has changed between gawking tourists vs people rushing around trying to do their shopping.

I'm also not sure about how the "new condo crowd" would have much of an impact. The market draws people from across the GTA and in fact across the world, so a few hundred new residents nearby probably doesn't move the dial a huge amount. I like to think that when 3,000 new people move into Time and Space it will generate a lot of new activity, but it probably doesn't make much difference to a market that draws from a customer base of 6 million or more.

Meanwhile over on Scott St….The southern shaft has been completed and the forms removed from site. The south shaft seems shorter than the north shaft but maybe that was due to the street elevation or my counting, I still haven’t figured out how they keep dropping the shaft.

AD4D3A58-E709-4074-B49E-0DD4E0F344BD.jpeg
A construction worker fell into this hole today, at around 3pm. We were walking a few blocks north and multiple police and fire vehicles sped past us heading south to the scene. According to TPS Operations on Twitter the worker was rescued from the hole and taken to hospital with "serious but non life threatening injuries" and the Ministry of Labour will be investigating. Dangerous work.

A construction worker fell into this hole today, at around 3pm. We were walking a few blocks north and multiple police and fire vehicles sped past us heading south to the scene. According to TPS Operations on Twitter the worker was rescued from the hole and taken to hospital with "serious but non life threatening injuries" and the Ministry of Labour will be investigating. Dangerous work.

Maybe it was the hydro site at The Esplanade and Sherbourne and not the sewer project at Scott and The Esplanade.

Last edited:
Maybe it was the hydro site at The Esplanade and Sherbourne and not the sewer project at Scott and The Esplanade.

Maybe, CP24 had a brief story where they talked about the rescue and the camera was panned on the particular hole shown in that photo, but I don't know for sure obviously.

Back