Toronto Hudson's Bay Centre Renovations | 32.87m | 6s | Brookfield | Adamson

I vote for demolish it while the station is being worked on; and revisit the replacement structure idea sometime over the intervening 6-8 years and come up with something better than the current proposal.
Don't even need to demolish; just open up storefronts along its length and give it a new facade.

Don't even need to demolish; just open up storefronts along its length and give it a new facade.
From what I've been told by a friend who worked on the W hotel project, the building is nowhere near as structurally durable as it looks. Renovating it (and the subway station below) actually might be harder than replacing it. Plus it would certainly be easier from the TTC's perspective to not have a building above the station they're rebuilding.

From what I've been told by a friend who worked on the W hotel project, the building is nowhere near as structurally durable as it looks. Renovating it (and the subway station below) actually might be harder than replacing it. Plus it would certainly be easier from the TTC's perspective to not have a building above the station they're rebuilding.
Yeesh, you'd think a mass of concrete like this would be solid enough to be one of the last things standing post-Anthropocene.

A side-note:

For any of the mods reading who have an in with any of the site coders, tell them, "escapes are not being removed properly".

For everyone else, this is due to the title reading "Hudson\'s Bay…" and not "Hudson's Bay". While a visually trivial thing, improperly escaped and unescaped characters can lead to database problems and site insecurities.

I've only noticed it the last few days and assumed it'd be fixed.

As long as it remains upright we are good to go. I would hate to think what would happen if cracks started to appear.

Tear it down, do the TTC work... build a landmark mass timber mixed-use development (akin to The Well East) with zero parking... it would be worth the wait.

Mitigate carbon issues/impacts in the new net zero project, and with ca$h to organizations like South Pole and other social enterprises dedicated to climate change solutions.

This is Yonge and Bloor. It's beggin' for a landmark.

Last edited:
Tear it down, do the TTC work... build a landmark mass timber mixed-use development (akin to The Well East) with zero parking... it would be worth wait.

Mitigate carbon issues/impacts in the new net zero project, and with ca$h to organizations like South Pole and other social enterprises dedicated to climate change solutions.

This is Yonge and Bloor. It's beggin' for a landmark.

No no no...

Yonge and Bloor needs something by Michael Chin or Frank Gehry!

Also, the Bay's closing has obviously affected foot traffic in the mall (subway commuters aside). I wanted to go to the Shoppers a few weeks ago around 7.30 pm and found it was already closed. There was a notice saying that the store would now close at 7 pm, "to give our hard-working staff a well-deserved break".

Or is it Galen Weston looking to cut costs? Not like there’s much staff in your typical SDM anymore.

or staff shortages? That seems more likely, even despite SDM shifting to very low staffing levels with the prioritization of self-checkout..

or staff shortages? That seems more likely, even despite SDM shifting to very low staffing levels with the prioritization of self-checkout..

Whenever I go to the shoppers out in Scarborough there is always at least 3 people not including cosmetics staff working. For a store of its size I would expect more though.

No no no...

Yonge and Bloor needs something by Michael Chin or Frank Gehry!

It already has what's arguably Hariri Pontarini's best skyscraper design. Plus, it's getting a Norman Foster. But I'd be all for more architectural excellence. King and Bay has greatness on all four corners.

I just hope that the developers are committed to the design and not the type to value engineer things to the point that the architect doesn't even want to be associated with the project anymore (e.g. KPF and CityPlace Parade).

Whenever I go to the shoppers out in Scarborough there is always at least 3 people not including cosmetics staff working. For a store of its size I would expect more though.
my local shoppers has a regular staff of 4 - cosmetics, stocking shelves, Canada Post, and cashier, but pre-pandemic that would have been 5-6 with 1-2 extra cashiers.

Technically, this Lobbyist Registry Entry is for the LARCO owned portion of this complex; but I'm still sticking it here, because there is only one Hudson's Bay Centre (ps, anyone think that it will get a new name sometime soon?)

Suffice to say, I found it of moderate but sufficient interest to post.

1669147027672.png

Isn’t 90 Bloor Street East just the Longos?

What about the facade with the entrance to the apartment tower (88 Bloor East I think?). I think Larco owns that too and it wasn’t already altered with the W hotel upgrades.

Isn’t 90 Bloor Street East just the Longos?

What about the facade with the entrance to the apartment tower (88 Bloor East I think?). I think Larco owns that too and it wasn’t already altered with the W hotel upgrades.

90 is what's listed in the entry, I don't have any additional insight just yet.

Back