Toronto Hudson's Bay Centre Renovations | 32.87m | 6s | Brookfield | Adamson

It is a whole pile of bland! Glass and aluminum bland. Very lazy and probably an inexpensive option bland.

I'm disappointed as well. I wasn't expecting the equivalent of the Calatrava designed Oculus in Manhattan but I was expecting an entrance worthy of the 2nd most important train station in the city. This looks like a small infill project on Queen Street West. I guess we'll have to live with this rebuild for 40+ years before we get a proper train station at this location.

Last edited:
The worse they make it, the easier it will be to decide to tear it down when we decide to dig out a north side island platform to build a proper Spanish solution on line 2.

Don't anyone get your hopes up, LOL.....

But, the lobbyist registry suggests we may yet get rid of that awful bank pavilion at the corner.........maybe.

1683222706283.png

Lobbying on behalf of Brookfield.

Don't anyone get your hopes up, LOL.....

But, the lobbyist registry suggests we may yet get rid of that awful bank pavilion at the corner.........maybe.
With what Brookfield has currently on the table for the HBC space, i'm not holding my breath if what we could see in the future will be any better.
Still, I am definitely getting my hopes up… I mean, it's all we have, no? Something new to hang onto?

(chuckles ruefully)

It's so thoroughly unimportant, unspectacular and, well, unnoticable. Geez, don't the good people at Brookfield have any pride?
Think most of them are busy proudly and lovingly gazing at Manhattan (West)... 'sorry Toronto, but gotta run'.

Is the property too convoluted for any developer to put time/money into? Like is the whole site owned by one company? Are there too many stakeholders? Does transit (present & future) preclude anything?

Is the property too convoluted for any developer to put time/money into? Like is the whole site owned by one company?

The Hudson's Bay Centre complex is owned by two corporations, Brookfield and Larco; with a portion of the site (roughly where the Royal Bank is, being City-owned land, but Brookfield-owned building on a long-term lease.

There are also significant easements for TTC

The block, not the existing complex, also contains the condo going up to the north and the Bell Building which houses significant operations.

Are there too many stakeholders?

One less would be helpful.

Does transit (present & future) preclude anything?

Not really. I mean it certainly impacts how you would build something, but not whether something can be built.

The challenges on the site, other than Brookfield being cheap, lazy and dull.........

Would be that the entire organization of existing buildings, condo/apartment, hotel, retail box and office tower is clunky and awkward.

The site was built out with no vision that it might ever be something more.

As a result, you have the office tower, in particular, which is reasonably profitable, and could not be economically replaced, unless there were a tight market for office (not the case) and the City were willing to green light and a leading tenant
willing to take a 70-storey tower.

The money might be there to justify removing the hotel and condo portion if you could go much, much taller but you still really need at least one extra tower in the footprint which would be challenging.

But since the hotel/apartments are not Brookfield's portion of the site...........

Yeah....

That said, you could absolutely build something far more worthy on the store box site (just not much bigger), and get rid of that bloody bank.....that's just about Brookfield having integrity and vision.........so....

Last edited:
Seems the design has been simplified here (as compared to the previous renders).

View attachment 488546View attachment 488547
What a turd of a design. It looks like a mediocre condo podium.

Is the property too convoluted for any developer to put time/money into? Like is the whole site owned by one company? Are there too many stakeholders? Does transit (present & future) preclude anything?
To add on to what others have said, in terms of limitations, from what I have been told by someone who worked on the W Hotel project, the structure of the building is much less robust than it looks from the outside. Short of tearing the entire complex down, including the residential/hotel tower, options are limited.

To add on to what others have said, in terms of limitations, from what I have been told by someone who worked on the W Hotel project, the structure of the building is much less robust than it looks from the outside. Short of tearing the entire complex down, including the residential/hotel tower, options are limited.

Yes, but there is ample opportunity to remove the bank, and ample ability to select more thoughtful cladding; the complexities and challenges that do exist impair neither of those.

Back