312     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 621     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 728     1 

Proposed renaming of Dundas Street

A friend who works at UofT in the applications and admissions team says:

"our students are easily confused as it is, this is not helping"

Because you know it's going to be shortened to "Toronto University" which will sit only a few blocks from "University of Toronto"
Even with acronyms, people will get TMU and UMT confused.

Speaking of acronyms there's also UTM (U of T Mississauga).

It has a real Greendale Human Beings vibe. How big was the committee that designed this mule of a name?
This is what came to mind for me, too. They should adopt Greendale's crest
st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg
too.

So, the latest in the Dundas saga is that it has all been, more or less, a hoax perpetrated by activists?

Toronto City Council needs to save itself from embarrassment and scrap the whole idea of renaming Dundas Street. The decision was based on discredited research and biased handling of the issue from the beginning by city staff with an activist agenda. Specific Council direction on public consultation was ignored and key parts of the projects were assigned to an underqualified consultant who openly admitted her bias on social media.

As I've said before, the north-south part of it should be renamed Roncesvalles, up to about where it crosses Annette or Keele, simply because it's confusing with there being two different Bloor-Dundas intersections in different parts of the city, and the soon-be-linked TTC and GO/UPX stations could also use a single new name that decreases this confusion. I suppose the street numbers could even stay the same, if that would avoid some expense.
The rest of Dundas street, downtown and where it keeps going into Mississauga, can say the same if that's what people want.

Can see them renaming Dundas Square (Yonge-Dundas Square). It is a "place holder" name in my eyes.
While it MAY be a good idea to change street names to reflect current thinking, it is a costly thing to do - for the City and those with addresses on these streets. BOTH factors need to be taken into account and it is surely better to use scarce civic $$ to repair the street rather than rename it?

One way other places deal with 'historic names' is to erect information plaques rather than changing street names. A few plaques along Dundas and in Yonge-Dundas Square explaining who Dundas was and why we now never call anything after him would, in my opinion, be a much better way to deal with this. Yes, a compromise but ....

One way other places deal with 'historic names' is to erect information plaques rather than changing street names. A few plaques along Dundas and in Yonge-Dundas Square explaining who Dundas was and why we now never call anything after him would, in my opinion, be a much better way to deal with this. Yes, a compromise but ....
Or we just do nothing instead. The vast majority of people have no idea who a street is named after unless they are living or lived in the last 50 years.
Certainly no one cared about Dundas St. until activists jumped on flawed research.

I’ve been more or less ambivalent about renaming Dundas Street, given that east of Ossington, it is not even the original name nor part of the historical route. Neither George Yonge nor Henry Dundas had anything to do with this place, but they got themselves known as major streets. But given the expense, I’m not that supportive of it, especially if the renaming itself is mere performative.

That said, I’m up for renaming public spaces like the library branches whose names include Dundas. Even the square if we can figure out a good name for it.

Back