News   Apr 15, 2024
 938     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 647     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I'm surprised this fourth track contract would go north of West Toronto Diamond. The bridge over St.Clair is going to be rebuilt and the GO station at the Stockyards will be built. It seems like work around that area would be throw unless the contract includes the station and bridge contract as well.

I'm surprised this fourth track contract would go north of West Toronto Diamond. The bridge over St.Clair is going to be rebuilt and the GO station at the Stockyards will be built. It seems like work around that area would be throw unless the contract includes the station and bridge contract as well.

As @drum118 noted, the fourth track is already laid through the tunnel and ends right at St Clair. North of the station, the roadbed already exists and the actual amount of work in laying the rails from St Clair northwards to Black Creek (where it is also in place) is pretty minimal. So not redundant and good to have one contractor get everything ready for the St Clair project. It's possible that trains will shift to the new track so that the westernmost tracks can be taken out of service to do the bridge and platform work.

I expect the bulk of the cost relates to the Bloor station modifications, and shifting of the Railpath and fencing to squeeze in that track. And perhaps shift the vacant bridge span at Bloor to align correctly to the existing platform edge.

- Paul

As @drum118 noted, the fourth track is already laid through the tunnel and ends right at St Clair. North of the station, the roadbed already exists and the actual amount of work in laying the rails from St Clair northwards to Black Creek (where it is also in place) is pretty minimal. So not redundant and good to have one contractor get everything ready for the St Clair project. It's possible that trains will shift to the new track so that the westernmost tracks can be taken out of service to do the bridge and platform work.

I expect the bulk of the cost relates to the Bloor station modifications, and shifting of the Railpath and fencing to squeeze in that track. And perhaps shift the vacant bridge span at Bloor to align correctly to the existing platform edge.

- Paul
I wouldn't be surprise to see a new bridge for Bloor St.

The cost to shift Railpath at Bloor as well installing track 1 will not be that great as it would be like any track in the tight area. The extra cost will be the new tunnel extension along with a stair and elevator on the east side of the Railpath.

As you noted, cost of track 1 from St Clair to Black Creek will be very low since everything is already for it. If I am not mistaken, part of track 1 is already in place on the northside of Black Creek to allow for the connection to CP MacTier Sub with provision to extend track 1 south. The Block signal bridge is in place for all 4 tracks.

The bulk of the cost will be for the building of the new St Clair Station and expect track 1 and 2 will be in operation first to allow for the work for expanding St Clair Overpass for track 3 & 4.

The cost to do St Clair overpass has to include the cost to do CP bridge as well a new road bridge that has to be funded by the City. Where that sits along with ML work is unknown at this time. Not on top of this wok and leave to other to fill things in.

Grascan has a handle on the cost of stations since they have being doing the New Weston station from day one as well a few others.

The other unknow for Bloor is the connection to it and TTC and will some of that work be part of this contract??

Thank you. This uh…is interesting:

“ And so it’s a time to think, to think deeply, take stock.

What we are thinking of is how do we phase expenditures in projects that can be phased, in projects where we can’t phase expenditure, we’re thinking very carefully on how to make sure that the supply chain is protected and able to deliver and just make difficult choices now.”

I wonder which projects are going to be affected.

Thank you. This uh…is interesting:

“ And so it’s a time to think, to think deeply, take stock.

What we are thinking of is how do we phase expenditures in projects that can be phased, in projects where we can’t phase expenditure, we’re thinking very carefully on how to make sure that the supply chain is protected and able to deliver and just make difficult choices now.”

I wonder which projects are going to be affected.
A number of smaller projects have already been cut. For instance, the grade separations of Scarborough Golf Club Rd and Kerr St. The flyunder at Scarborough is seemingly another one. And I suspect that more will see the light of day soon.

Dan

A number of smaller projects have already been cut. For instance, the grade separations of Scarborough Golf Club Rd and Kerr St. The flyunder at Scarborough is seemingly another one. And I suspect that more will see the light of day soon.

Unfortunate. Thank you.

A consequence of our slow-rolling projects. We’re now entering a phase in the macro economic cycle with increased inflation, increased borrowing costs and severe supply/labour shortages. I wonder if we’re going to look back and wish that we’d taken advantage of the good times when they were around - and built instead of talking and waiting.

Dan

And yet, we’re burying several kilometres of an LRT extension that doesn’t warrant it.

The Scarborough flyunder will benefit far more passengers than a tunnel under the Richview corridor.

Unfortunate. Thank you.

A consequence of our slow-rolling projects. We’re now entering a phase in the macro economic cycle with increased inflation, increased borrowing costs and severe supply/labour shortages. I wonder if we’re going to look back and wish that we’d taken advantage of the good times when they were around - and built instead of talking and waiting.

There's no question, where we choose to debt-finance projects, that we ought to do so when money is cheap, no better time to borrow than when gov't can get debt at 2% or less for short-term debt and well under 5% for long-term debt.

There's also the matter of long-term foresight, my old-favourite of R.C. Harris and putting a deck under the Bloor Viaduct 50 years before the Yonge Subway and 70 years before Line 2 trains would make use of it. In this context,
I'm talking about acquiring land when its cheap, before lax monetary policies {among other things) send the cost of acquisition to the stratosphere.

Something else I would add though, debating the right projects and the right modes, while not unimportant, is sometimes/often entirely wasteful.

I called it early on that the SSE was going to happen, not a refurbished LRT, and the route and that it would be tunneled.

Set aside any discussion of merits here; I could read the room, I knew what the politics dictated; it was never going to go any other way.

The result of the back/forth over the LRT didn't change the outcome except to drive up the cost and see the SRT close before the SSE is ready, resulting a lot of hassle and several hundred million
in additional capital costs (busway conversion) and operating costs (7 years of shuttle buses give or take).

There's no way if I can read the room that someone like Josh Matlow couldn't.

Yet...here we are.

Last edited:

Dan
so i wouldnt say that inflation caused it.

The reason the scarborough junction flyunder was cut because the only reason it was needed because of the track config.

They need it if the track config is both all-stop stv and lse trains run on the southern most track of the 4 along the corridor, which means that stouville needed a flyunder to get to the other side of the track.
This was the case when the ontario line straddled the corridor, They changed the ontario line config which means the cross-platform transfer isnt needed and means they can change the config of the tracks to be 2 stouville and 2 lse

The scarborough golf club road is still going ahead according to IO, Kerr st was cancelled because of of rising scope, it became too expensive to do it like they did with steeles.

What are the numbers for each of the 4 roads including Scarborough golf club road in this area that are not grade separated for vehicles and traffic daily??

With cost rising and debt financing getting high, the though of all grade separation is great if the funding is there and will there be funds on hand to pay it off over 30 years along with all the other things that need to be paid for???

All 3 tunnel projects sure would pay for these things, but a Ford who prefer to see things underground that will not interfere with his car or the car folk nation as well out of sight to him is saying screw the cost and build things and lets look at it down the road some day.

I know the area, but that as far I can go with no real raw data on it,

Back