News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 635     0 

44th Canadian Federal Election

I agree. I find good legislation can indeed happen in a minority because parties have to work together and provide some checks and balances. With a majority, you can get very partisan based legislation passed. I am not at all opposed to minority government

The BC minority government of the NDP, backed by the Greens was very productive, including legacy commitment.
The David Peterson minority backed by the NDP had lots of concrete accomplishments.

True but these are likeminded parties.

I doubt the Conservatives or Bloq Quebecois would go for alot of those policies and right now, the Bloq out numbers the NDP.

True but these are likeminded parties.

I doubt the Conservatives or Bloq Quebecois would go for alot of those policies and right now, the Bloq out numbers the NDP.

That is irrelevant.

Trudeau only requires NDP support to command a majority of the House and get legislation passed, he does not require BQ or Conservative support.

That is irrelevant.

Trudeau only requires NDP support to command a majority of the House and get legislation passed, he does not require BQ or Conservative support.

Good point.

I am not too sure about the NDP at the moment. Their leader is on shaky ground and the Federal NDP has never been too cozy with the Liberals, more adversarial then anything. Jacks time in office being the exception to the rule of course.

And even if it were the PCs that need to be relied on, that’s what makes it a good thing. Because they are forced to work together.

And even if it were the PCs that need to be relied on, that’s what makes it a good thing. Because they are forced to work together.

As it stands right now, the Conservatives hate the Liberals. I doubt they would work together.

It would be virtually sacrilegious

professional house flipper from Vancouver in the cabinet 😂 😂 🤣, is here to help everyone
20210930_151953.jpg

Something many had figured out already, confirmed with detailed sociological research and lots of numbers.

Two new solitudes — rural and urban — now define the Canadian political landscape

urbanruraldivide.JPG

While real, the observation, without detail could be quite misleading.

Let's look at Eastern Ontario........the place that elected Randy Hillier and outside of Kingston and Ottawa is generally true blue, so to speak.

In Hastings-Lennox Additington you have 45% for the Conservative, vs 35% Lib and 11% NDP

Even Lanark-Frontenac, which went 49% Conservative still had 42% for the Libs/NDP

Haldimond-Norfolk was very similar in the rural south-west, where Leslyn Louis won for the Conservatives (notably, a Black woman)

Meanwhile in (sub) urban regions, the Conservatives pulled 40% in Oakville, and 39% in Mississauga-Lakeshore, they even managed 25% (2nd place) in Toronto-St. Pauls.

Again, not to suggest that this difference isn't real, but media coverage of same, and some research into it, can be highly exaggerative.

Back