News   Mar 28, 2024
 132     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

44th Canadian Federal Election

Ya know....its an issue..........but...considering where the Conservatives got elected, maybe not as much of one as the headline makes it seem.

The Conservatives, to their credit, did run a number of diverse candidates in areas like Toronto and Vancouver.........they just won next to no seats in said areas.

I don't want to let them off the hook in needing to be a more representative group......

But if I were being critical of their candidate slate, in terms of demography.............I might point out that their caucus will be 18.2% female.

Whereas women are roughly 50% of the population in all ridings, and therefore of the ridings the Conservatives won............that seems more overtly problematic.

For comparison purposes, the next worst party for female representation is the Liberals....with 35.2% of their caucus.

The BQ is a smidge higher, the NDP at 40%.

The Greens alone have parity, having a 50% female caucus! 😂

Ya know....its an issue..........but...considering where the Conservatives got elected, maybe not as much of one as the headline makes it seem.

The Conservatives, to their credit, did run a number of diverse candidates in areas like Toronto and Vancouver.........they just won next to no seats in said areas.

I don't want to let them off the hook in needing to be a more representative group......

But if I were being critical of their candidate slate, in terms of demography.............I might point out that their caucus will be 18.2% female.

Whereas women are roughly 50% of the population in all ridings, and therefore of the ridings the Conservatives won............that seems more overtly problematic.

For comparison purposes, the next worst party for female representation is the Liberals....with 35.2% of their caucus.

The BQ is a smidge higher, the NDP at 40%.

The Greens alone have parity, having a 50% female caucus! 😂
I think it just speaks to who they are and which of their candidates get elected 😬

Every party came out a loser in this election:

Liberals - minor increase in seats; failed to secure majority that seemed easily within reach upon election call.
CPC - Won popular vote, but did not gain any seats and made no inroads in urban ridings.
NDP - Gained only 1 seat.
BQ - Gained 1 seat.
GP - No seats gained. Leader lost horrendously in riding contested.
PPC - Significantly increased popular vote, but failed to win any seats.

You have to think there's going to be leadership reviews for pretty much all of them, formally or informally...

It's interesting because Fairchild TV, a Chinese language (primarily Cantonese) television media channel on Canadian networks with main focus on broadcasting Hong Kong programming and entertainment, are a staunch endorser of the Conservative Party. They have studio bases in both York Region and Richmond BC as well. Their local news coverage have a heavy CPC centered focus whether it's during the election or not. Often to the extent where it's amusingly blatant.

While ultimately the CPC have failed to pick up momentum, especially in the Markham-Thornhill riding:

markthorn.JPG

Although, Markham-Unionville ended up being a closer race:

markun.JPG

Last edited:
It's interesting because Fairchild TV, a Chinese language (primarily Cantonese) television media channel on Canadian networks with main focus on broadcasting Hong Kong programming and entertainment, are a staunch endorser of the Conservative Party. They have studio bases in both York Region and Richmond BC as well. Their local news coverage have a heavy CPC centered focus whether it's during the election or not. Often to the extent where it's amusingly blatant.

While ultimately the CPC have failed to pick up momentum, especially in the Markham-Thornhill riding:

View attachment 351334

Although, Markham-Unionville ended up being a closer race:

View attachment 351335

I have some doubts about the reach of that channel and their influence - and even then the CPC rhetoric probably undermined whatever little benefit this channel would have offered.

AoD

I really do hope they can make this minority last two or three years.

I really hope, however long it lasts, that it actually results in useful accomplishments.

Particularly in respect of:

Much needed social investments (including affordable childcare, enhanced income support programs and pharmacare coverage)
Action on climate change, along with preservation and restoration of natural areas
Investments which reduce inequity/poor living conditions for First Nations, particularly on-reserve
Address housing supply/affordability.

Last edited:
I really hope, however long it lasts, that it actually results in useful accomplishments.

Particularly in respect of:

Much needed social investments (including affordable childcare, enhanced income support programs and pharmacare coverage)
Action on climate change, along with preservation and restoration of natural areas
Investments which reduce inequity/poor living conditions for First Nations, particularly on-reserve
Address housing supply/affordability.

If those points are adequately addressed in the near future, I could imagine the Liberals getting rewarded with a majority next time around.

If those points are adequately addressed in the near future, I could imagine the Liberals getting rewarded with a majority next time around.

The problem is that in a minority that likely won't happen. With all the concessions being made to stay in power, meatier legacy building legislation never goes anywhere.

The problem is that in a minority that likely won't happen. With all the concessions being made to stay in power, meatier legacy building legislation never goes anywhere.

I don't mean to be unkind, but I don't think there is any material evidence to support that statement.

The BC minority government of the NDP, backed by the Greens was very productive, including legacy commitment.
The David Peterson minority backed by the NDP had lots of concrete accomplishments.
Beyond the domestic examples; there are countless international ones.

The truth is, barring an extraordinarily idiotic move, Trudeau is in a relatively secure position in the near term.
Most of what I noted was in the Liberal Platform; and virtually none of it would be opposed by the NDP.

There really isn't any need for trade-offs in a significant way. I would like to see the NDP push the Liberals to be a bit bolder in certain respects (notably pharmacare) and to actually deliver on their own commitments.
Regardless, there is nothing about this minority situation which precludes good governance.

Back