Oakville Oak & CO Condos | ?m | 25s | Cortel Group | Zeidler

The road...9 lanes wide!!!! (six travel lanes, a right-hand turn lane, and a double-left lane), that's just nuts.

I spent some time out here last year doing photo updates. What a major pain. Nowhere to pull over and with the median in the centre lane you have to go quite a distance to turn around.

I spent some time out here last year doing photo updates. What a major pain. Nowhere to pull over and with the median in the centre lane you have to go quite a distance to turn around.
Dundas here is hilariously terrible - it's got a 70km/h posted limit and is effectively a highway.

The problem lies with Halton Region who has extremely strict design criteria for arterial roads that solely prioritize not only vehicular capacity, but speed. And they will. not. compromise. So you get friggen highways driving right through dense areas.

All suburban areas seem to have problems with conflicts between regional municipalities owning roads and local planners designating and approving dense development along said roads.. you can see it in York Region with the fenced off parallels parking on Major Mack - local municipality approves parallel parking, region shuts it down once it is built since it impacts "vehicle operations".

I mean Oakville at least had the brains to make the main pedestrian retail street in the area be Oak Park Boulevard, but still. Most of the density so far is going up either along Dundas or Trafalgar, which are both very hostile to pedestrians.

Don't even get me started on Trafalgar.. 30 storey skyscrapers are going up along roads with 80km/h limits and literally no sidewalks.

DJI_0261.JPG
DJI_0264.JPG
DJI_0257.JPG

Dundas here is hilariously terrible - it's got a 70km/h posted limit and is effectively a highway.

The problem lies with Halton Region who has extremely strict design criteria for arterial roads that solely prioritize not only vehicular capacity, but speed. And they will. not. compromise. So you get friggen highways driving right through dense areas.

All suburban areas seem to have problems with conflicts between regional municipalities owning roads and local planners designating and approving dense development along said roads.. you can see it in York Region with the fenced off parallels parking on Major Mack - local municipality approves parallel parking, region shuts it down once it is built since it impacts "vehicle operations".

I mean Oakville at least had the brains to make the main pedestrian retail street in the area be Oak Park Boulevard, but still. Most of the density so far is going up either along Dundas or Trafalgar, which are both very hostile to pedestrians.

Don't even get me started on Trafalgar.. 30 storey skyscrapers are going up along roads with 80km/h limits and literally no sidewalks.
Our dr moved to the new hospital on Dundas in Oakville. So we commuted there from Mississauga a few times before having our second kid. First of all I had no idea any development was taking place west of the 403 on dundas and I have no understanding of its appeal. It take forever to either take dundas to the 403 or a north south connection to the qew. And like you mentioned it would be a nightmare for pedestrians. I guess in the future Mississauga could see its own development along dundas if Oakville managed to trick its people that it’s a desirable location.

I find the concept of prominently-numbered regional roads inherently stupid. How dumb is it that some of the most urbanized municipalities of the province have rural-style road designations? Even the street signs are of a rural style. Metro Toronto roads didn't have numbers.

I find the concept of prominently-numbered regional roads inherently stupid. How dumb is it that some of the most urbanized municipalities of the province have rural-style road designations? Even the street signs are of a rural style. Metro Toronto roads didn't have numbers.
The regional governments don't feel particularly well "seen" by those who live their various municipalities, so they want you to know which level of government is paying to maintain the big roads, just to give the Region some visibility. (It certainly has next to nothing to do with wayfinding: if they really cared about wayfinding in this province, there'd be a renumbering done with unique, non-repeated road numbers from one end of the province to the other.)

the mess of renumbering that happened following the downloads of the late 90's has created a total mess of the provincial highway network. It needs to be rethought from the ground up, including probably some provincial uploads and yes, more consistent numbering patterns for all roads, local and provincial.

That's for the GTA Highways thread though, not here.

Back