News   Apr 18, 2024
 201     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 522     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Saving you a click:

- Starting Jan. 23, Barrie, Stouffville and Kitchener line GO trains will be temporarily replaced by GO buses during weekday evenings and weekends.
- The adjusted weekday Stouffville schedules will have buses temporarily replacing trains first thing every weekday morning and in the evenings.
- From Monday to Friday, UP trains will operate hourly in the midday and in the late evening with the last trains departing from Union at 10 p.m. and from Pearson at 10:27 p.m. On weekends, UP trains will operate hourly in the mornings and evenings with the first train now departing at 6 a.m. and the last trains departing from Union at 10 p.m. and from Pearson at 10:27 p.m.

Well.. i wouldn’t say this is exactly terrible as i get the reasoning, but this definitely makes simple access for multiple bikers, strollers and mobility devices narrowed down to less service, and that was one glory of having the trains running

The Barrie line suffered the most from this as they don’t even service a couple stations for the replacement buses to go to

How much money do you save running a 6 car BiLevel compared to a bus? The only thing I can think of is having to pay for 1 crewmember instead of 3(?) and maybe that train engineers are more expensive?

There might be fuel savings with having fewer coaches and cleaning costs? I don't think they would change the crew number but I defer to @smallspy

How much money do you save running a 6 car BiLevel compared to a bus? The only thing I can think of is having to pay for 1 crewmember instead of 3(?) and maybe that train engineers are more expensive?

A huge amount. Crew costs are an order of magnitude higher for a train, as are running and maintenance costs.

The problem is that you need about 25 buses to replace the capacity of a 6-car train. Now, if your ridership is only in the single digits....

Dan

First time seeing this type of info for delays and needs to be more of it, especially around equipment issues as well other things.

Train delay - Aldershot GO 16:25 - Union Station 17:30​
The Aldershot GO 16:25 - Union Station 17:30 train is now on the move, delayed 23 minutes from Aldershot because of an unruly passenger. We appreciate your patience.​

"unruly passenger" haha
before COVID, I would have assumed it was a drunk. Now, I assume it's mask related kerfuffles.

It could be a mask kerfuffle caused by drunkenness!

Last edited:
Well on the bright side, they're getting good use out of the new Union bus terminal...
Something tells me that this is more of a ‘promotion’ tactic for any rail commuters and riders who have never visited and used the new terminal. There is no way ridership could’ve gone down a significant amount again for the service to go back to early summer 2020 levels

Ontario has reached the emergency level again. Daily caseloads are many times higher than the first peak. Whey wouldn't ridership go down if more people are working from home and many businesses that opened after first peak have closed again.

Back