News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Here, of course, we're in a forum of urban, planning policy, infrastructure geeks! LOL (among whom I proudly count myself).

But among the general public, I don't think this sort of thing is as well known.

It really should be made clear when buying a property, to the prospective buyer.

Not only what is theirs and what is not; but also what the implications are in terms of maintenance, liability, and where you build that fence.

Oh, I get it. I'm just not sure where the responsibility lies. You would think when folks plunk down six or seven figures of cash they might want to understand what they are spending it on. When signing the closing documents, most buyers pretty much think 'blah, blah, blah - where do I sign these one hundred forms', and perhaps never look at the survey (assuming they get one) before firing the envelope in a SDB or bottom drawer never to be looked at again.

Part of me sympathizes with property owners, in the sense that, if there is a boulevard that is maintained, they do it, and the city tells them they are expected to shovel their sidewalk.

^ Some neighbours and I recently had to map out where our property ended and the road allowance begins. It was startling. The lot line was a lot closer to our front doors than anyone realised. It was clearly marked on the survey, but until one gets out the tape measure.....
I would argue that since the City clearly expects homeowners to tend the City owned land in front of their homes, some reciprocal sensitivity and due process is justified. Doesn’t mean that the City can’t do valid work, but I and neighbours have experienced indifferent shrugs from both City workers and contractors (Bell, Rogers, and road related) who just turned up and started messing with lawns.
”It’s not your property, it’s the City’s” is not an appropriate way to deal with resident concerns.

- Paul

^ Some neighbours and I recently had to map out where our property ended and the road allowance begins. It was startling. The lot line was a lot closer to our front doors than anyone realised. It was clearly marked on the survey, but until one gets out the tape measure.....
I would argue that since the City clearly expects homeowners to tend the City owned land in front of their homes, some reciprocal sensitivity and due process is justified. Doesn’t mean that the City can’t do valid work, but I and neighbours have experienced indifferent shrugs from both City workers and contractors (Bell, Rogers, and road related) who just turned up and started messing with lawns.
”It’s not your property, it’s the City’s” is not an appropriate way to deal with resident concerns.

- Paul
While I am sure the City and utility contractors frequently screw up, it really is a property owner's responsibility to know where his/her property ends. The City does have procedures they are supposed to use when they are going to do work as shown in their communication procedure listed above ("Residents and businesses near affected bus stops received/will receive construction notices before the work begins.
  • Residents and businesses that were identified as having private encroachments within the City ROW were/will be notified with a letter outlining the specific encroachment to be removed and an outline of the expected construction.")
The real problem is that nobody like to hear unwelcome news and it is never going to be good to hear that "'your" front lawn is about to be re-possessed and used for a sidewalk or transit shelter or that Bell are about to dig it up to lay conduit.

I find the crowding has gotten a lot worse since the high school kids went back to school. They get on the bus in crowds after school, a lot of them aren't wearing their masks properly, or they have the masks pulled down around their chins. Everyone is packed on the bus like sardines.

Funny how the government has social distancing rules in place for everything except public transit!

Easier said than done when chances are the next bus is 20-30 minutes away.

The answer from TTC is absolutely pathetic:

1602618680036.png

Sucks to be you would have been more accurate.

AoD

When you sit in the Customer Service Centre at the TTC, where the position that handles the Twitter account and other things (I know, I did it for the majority of 2017), you have to be emotionally-detached when responding to every customer complaint (and we did have to respond to everything unless it was blatantly abusive), otherwise it bleeds into your sanity.

It's not a PR position, and it's not intended to be (like other similar "Helps" type accounts that people love to complain about). Objectively, that advice works in a customer service context (especially now that the TTC grudgingly joined the 2 hour transfer system). It seems cruel and uncaring, but what else can they respond? It's not like they can detach extra buses. I guess one could suggest the feedback link but those complaints will just end up in the inboxes of people who have made this situation appear.

I think people seem to think that the TTC has extra busses sitting around somewhere or that they can just order more of them just like how you can go to a car dealers and buy a new or used car whenever you need one.

For the record, the TTC does currently have lots of buses sitting around; they are nowhere near maxing out the fleet on the current schedule.

Now, if everyone goes back to work and back to using transit; there will still be peak-period crowding even if the fleet is maxed out; but that's not where we are today.

For the record, the TTC does currently have lots of buses sitting around; they are nowhere near maxing out the fleet on the current schedule.

Now, if everyone goes back to work and back to using transit; there will still be peak-period crowding even if the fleet is maxed out; but that's not where we are today.

Okay, so TTC is not enforcing mask-wearing; it is not enforcing distancing standards - it is behaving as if it has no role in preventing the spread of COVID beyond good wishes. Passing the buck - and we wonder why certain demographics have higher COVID case/positivity rates.

AoD

Yes I get they are not a maximum levels for bus use right now but even if they do deploy all of them if they could they still woulnd't have enough for the people who are complaining about too many people on thier bus.

Yes I get they are not a maximum levels for bus use right now but even if they do deploy all of them if they could they still woulnd't have enough for the people who are complaining about too many people on thier bus.

Don't make it sound like the riders complaining are unreasonable - they are complaining because there are too many people on their bus by social distancing public health measures. The inability (or unwillingness) by the City/TTC to ameliorate that is the issue, not the riders complaining.

AoD

Okay, so TTC is not enforcing mask-wearing; it is not enforcing distancing standards - it is behaving as if it has no role in preventing the spread of COVID beyond good wishes. Passing the buck - and we wonder why certain demographics have higher COVID case/positivity rates.

AoD
I ride the TTC often and have since July the vast majority of people do wear masks it's a very small minority of people who don't or wear them improperly.

Back