News   Apr 24, 2024
 263     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 493     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 480     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Some questions about the transit signals on the St. Clair and Spadina streetcar rights-of-way:

2- The vast majority of signals have 3 aspects. Red on top, amber in middle and green up-facing arrow on bottom. I believe that these mean the same as the automobile traffic signals mean for autos (please correct me if I'm wrong). This is opposite to the subway (at least Line 2) signals and many other railways that have green on top, red on bottom. Is this done on the streetcar rights-of-way so as to not be confusing with the automobile traffic signals?

Railway sequence - green on the top - mimics early mechanical/visual railway signal methods where a physical object (ball, flag, etc.) raised to the top of a structure indicated clear passage. It could be seen at a greater distance thus negating any need for unnecessary slowing. Hence the origin of the meaning of 'highball'. Since the subway is on a private, controlled ROW, it seems they chose to follow the railway protocol.

This rather mysterious item is coming to CreateTO next week. TTC property in Ward 11. Presumably to do with Bloor-Yonge expansion.

The purpose of this report is to provide an update to the Board of CreateTO on discussions between staff of CreateTO, Corporate Real Estate Management ("CREM"), the Toronto Transit Commission (the "TTC") and the Proponent regarding a proposed long-term lease renegotiation and redevelopment of a City-owned property located within Ward 11 - University-Rosedale (the "Subject Property"). The Proponent, which has an existing long-term ground lease in place with the City of Toronto, has proposed a redevelopment of the Subject Property that would occur in conjunction with a critical transit expansion project. A renegotiated ground lease is a critical requisite for both the TTC project requirements along with the proposed mixed-use redevelopment. The Subject Property and terms of leasehold interest are identified and detailed within Confidential Attachment 1.

... and the redvelopment of Hudson's Bay Centre above ?!?

This rather mysterious item is coming to CreateTO next week. TTC property in Ward 11. Presumably to do with Bloor-Yonge expansion.

The purpose of this report is to provide an update to the Board of CreateTO on discussions between staff of CreateTO, Corporate Real Estate Management ("CREM"), the Toronto Transit Commission (the "TTC") and the Proponent regarding a proposed long-term lease renegotiation and redevelopment of a City-owned property located within Ward 11 - University-Rosedale (the "Subject Property"). The Proponent, which has an existing long-term ground lease in place with the City of Toronto, has proposed a redevelopment of the Subject Property that would occur in conjunction with a critical transit expansion project. A renegotiated ground lease is a critical requisite for both the TTC project requirements along with the proposed mixed-use redevelopment. The Subject Property and terms of leasehold interest are identified and detailed within Confidential Attachment 1.

Great catch!

... and the redvelopment of Hudson's Bay Centre above ?!?

A distinct possibility.

The site is identified as being in University-Rosedale

That precludes the large ground-lease at Yonge-Eglinton.

Subway Stations within this ward are:

Line 1: Summerhill, Rosedale, Yonge-Bloor (arguably College)
Line 2: Chirstie, Bathurst, Spadina, St. George, Bay, Yonge-Bloor.

There are ground leases in place at Bay Stn. But I'm not aware of any large expansion of said station in the offing.

So Y-B seems like a good fit.

I was aware of a very large redevelopment proposal floating around for HBC about 2 years ago...........but had just recently lost track of it.

Brookfield have very deep pockets.

Could also be 2 Bloor West; which has a Ground Lease from the City. (with extensions to the year 2107)

In the course of looking into the above...............I discovered something........

A large portion of Crossways at Bloor/Dundas is actually on land leased from the TTC!

Lease goes to 2067 if anyone wants to pencil that in as redevelopment day. LOL

Rent appears to be only 90k per year.

64,000sqft of land.

That's 9M for 100 years.

That's a steal!

Puts a new spin on the connection btw Dundas West and GO now doesn't it.

Of interest.

In looking at this further, I looked at the HBC site in TOMaps to look at the lot lines.

Wow is that an entangled mess.

It needs to be said, that merely because there are legal parcels does not mean they have different owners.

But still.

Looks to be at least 9 legally discrete properties/interests. (for those unawares, the pink lines divide lots/properties)

1601991349108.png

1601991409151.png

1601991492630.png

As I understand it from Steve Munro, the Line 2 tunnel/station runs directly under the Royal Bank Branch on the corner.

Much appreciated and very informative. Thanks for the quick reply!

You mentioned the Crosstown LRT. So the transit signals there will be like they are on St. Clair and Spadina? Is this just for the in-median guideway portion at intersections east of Brentcliffe portal? I've noticed that there are a few (what I would call) railway style signals installed already on the at-surface guideway. At the two single crossovers east of Pharmacy there are two 2-aspect signals and two 3-aspect signals. At the double crossover on the East Don Mills portal ramp (3 aspect tower facing east for WB trains and in middle of two tracks) and at the single leading crossover west of the West Don Mills portal. There are two 2-aspect signals and 2 3-aspect signals here.

Will these signals be red on top, green on bottom for the 2-aspect signals (and amber in middle for the 3-aspect signals)? This would jive with the pic Crosstown tweeted out of a signal at the EMSF with red on top.

I'm guessing in the case of railway style signals at crossovers that the middle amber aspect would signal to use the diverging track. Please confirm or correct.

Thanks in advance for any additional info.

There will be two different types of signals on the Crosstown, and it remains to be seen whether they end up being linked.

The signals at the intersections will be like the regular signals as covered by the HTA.

The signals that you've noted at the crossovers are controlled by the signal system, and are used to indicate the current orientation of the switches that they guard. As the Crosstown is using an off-the-shelf Bombardier ATC/ATO signal system, you can look at other systems to see how they've handled them - usually, it seems that the signals in those systems show a red X, a straight white (or yellow) line or a diagonal white (or yellow) line, but as the indications are simply just lights any number of different indications could be used.

Dan

No physical separation...................shakes head

Compliance with the markings mostly complete is poor.

They officially consider the lanes in-force as at October 11 which is this Sunday.

Hmmm.
"The lanes don't have physical separation, so it will be up to drivers to obey the rules."

"On Friday, compliance was spotty, and a minority of drivers consistently occupied the bus lanes. The city and TTC are planning an education and enforcement campaign to alert drivers to the changes."

Fail.

No physical separation...................shakes head

Compliance with the markings mostly complete is poor.

They officially consider the lanes in-force as at October 11 which is this Sunday.

Hmmm.
Unless there are "HUGE Bus Only Lane Marked On Them Every Few 100' Feet" totally useless. Am surprise it work well on Bathurst St at Fleet for Streetcars.

Unless enforce 16 hours a day, you will find fools in that lanes who don't give a shit using it. Police have other things to do and maybe less with budget cutting coming in 2021.

Even if you put physical barriers there, fools will still be driving there.

Wait until it snows... Didn't recall seeing signage at all like you would find on Eglinton (the old school diamond lane (bus only/bicycle/3+ people in vehicle) signage).

Back