News   Apr 16, 2024
 276     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 643     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

It looks like the expanded patios is between the permanent curb and planters (despite the bicycle paint markings), and the bicycle lane between the planters and temporary curbs. Since the planters and temporary curbs are movable, the size and location of the patios can be adjusted, I suppose.

You wish.

I still get cars honking/yelling at me when I go down shaw: "ONE WAY STREET ASSHOLE, YOU'RE BIKING THE WRONG WAY!"
The rules for cyclists on one way streets should be changed. Unless the sign includes bicycles, every one way street should by default allow bicycles in both directions, no lines or lanes required. Just change the HTA that drivers on one way streets must yield to any cyclists approaching from the opposite direction.

Last edited:
A "secret" that many novice cyclists don't know about...

Those three large white dots in the middle of the traffic lane just before an intersection? That’s where cyclists are supposed to stop to change the light. Of course, since the Transportation Department is all about the automobile and not about bicycles, those dots are not maintained and are not mentioned.

the_fixer.jpg

From link (dated 2013).

It can be a long wait on a bicycle for the light to turn green at Lascelles Blvd. and Eglinton Ave.

Many traffic signals in Toronto can detect when cyclists arrive at a red light and change it to green, one of the better things the city does to make cycling a viable way to get around.

Otherwise, they’d be stuck waiting for a car or have to get off their bike, wheel it onto the sidewalk and use the pedestrian crossing signal to change the light.

Mitch reported on SeeClickFix that the sensors for northbound bike traffic on Lascelles, at the point where it meets Eglinton, east of Avenue Rd., haven’t worked since last spring.

“It forces cyclists to cross illegally on the red light or push the pedestrian crosswalk button,” he said, adding, “what’s the use of having a bicycle-friendly intersection if it fails to notice bicycles?”

Mitch pointed out something that is not known to many drivers: Those three large white dots in the middle of the traffic lane just before an intersection? That’s where cyclists are supposed to stop to change the light.

Bruce Hawkins, who deals with media for transportation services, emailed to say that more than half of all signals are “semi-actuated,” where the light remains green until a vehicle arrives at the intersection to trigger a change.

Semi-actuated signals allow the light to stay green on busy streets until a vehicle arrives at the intersection from a smaller street, instead of automatically switching between red and green, he said.

“The presence of a vehicle is detected on the cross-street by a detector loop embedded in the pavement,” which can also tell when a bike rolls up, said Hawkins, if the bike stops along the three white dots.

The city has started replacing sensor loops with video detection of vehicles, he said, which is already in place at 29 intersections and will gradually be expanded.

Allegedly, of course.

Toronto should go with motion detection, since if your bike is aluminum or carbon fiber, those loops will not work.

I rode the new lanes along the Bayview extension today, then up Pottery Rd. and along the Danforth bike lanes from Broadview to Jones. They need enforcement on Danforth as four Uber Eats drivers and a delivery truck were parked along the path. I then rode down Greenwood to the end of Leslie Street Spit and up the River St. bike lanes and home. The separated lanes are making Toronto much more enjoyable for cycling.

CB7E7DC0-5C77-4C58-8DB1-C2B7615710CF.png

I rode the new lanes along the Bayview extension today, then up Pottery Rd. and along the Danforth bike lanes from Broadview to Jones. They need enforcement on Danforth as four Uber Eats drivers and a delivery truck were parked along the path. I then rode down Greenwood to the end of Leslie Street Spit and up the River St. bike lanes and home. The separated lanes are making Toronto much more enjoyable for cycling.

View attachment 259533

Pretty good ride!

(the hell I'm biking up Pottery!)

I thought the entire length of the Danforth lanes were supposed to be separated/protected, no?
Yes, and they will. The lanes are currently under construction. The whole entire street is undergoing significant transformation, with brand new protected cycle tracks with concrete curbs, patios and parking. Be patient, as these days will be the hardest, but will be worth it.

I thought the entire length of the Danforth lanes were supposed to be separated/protected, no?
Not from my experience today. Here's just three of the at least a half dozen intrusions I encountered.

If there isn't widespread and merciless TPS enforcement Uber Eats and others who are making brief stops will be willing to park all over the Danforth bike path wherever hard barriers aren't possible.

IMG_20200726_1430273.jpg

IMG_20200726_1420577.jpg

IMG_20200726_1420258.jpg

Last edited:

Back