News   May 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 604     0 

Cycling infrastructure (Separated bike lanes)

almost every time there is a new bike lane installed in this city it struggles with parked cars for the first 4-6 months it seems. Eventually the drivers all get ticketed and the amount of offenders drop off.

I like to think of it as the "Breaking in period" for the lane.

almost every time there is a new bike lane installed in this city it struggles with parked cars for the first 4-6 months it seems. Eventually the drivers all get ticketed and the amount of offenders drop off.

I like to think of it as the "Breaking in period" for the lane.

Still waiting for the “breaking in period” to conclude for the westbound Bloor bike lanes from Spadina through Bathurst.

Still waiting for the “breaking in period” to conclude for the westbound Bloor bike lanes from Spadina through Bathurst.
Didn't say it disappears. My experience is that the amount of parking violations along that stretch is much, much lower than when the lanes were first installed. My experience recently has been more like at most 1-2 cars parked along the stretch, while when they opened it was more like 5-6.

Didn't say it disappears. My experience is that the amount of parking violations along that stretch is much, much lower than when the lanes were first installed. My experience recently has been more like at most 1-2 cars parked along the stretch, while when they opened it was more like 5-6.

I guess I'm not as concerned with the volume of cars parked there as I am with their omnipresence -- I'm genuinely not sure I've ever ridden them after about 6pm and not encountered a driver parked in them; it renders the lanes nearly useless as soon as the dinner pickup window begins every night.

They're likely the same people who park in NO STOPPING zones to get their "quad long shot grande in a venti cup half calf double cupped no sleeve salted caramel mocha latte with 2 pumps of vanilla substitute 2 pumps of white chocolate mocha for mocha and substitute 2 pumps of hazelnut for toffee nut half whole milk and half breve with no whipped cream extra hot extra foam extra caramel drizzle extra salt add a scoop of vanilla bean powder with light ice well stirred.... oh by the way, I have a free reward".

The city needs to deputize its cycling community. If I see a car parked in a bike lane I take a photo and upload it to a TPS app. Then TPS mails a warning with a copy of the photo to the offending car's owner. After several warnings, TPS knows who the worst offenders are and can take action.

It seems like they're already doing road work (both East and West) of Yonge/Bloor.

IMG_20200727_094546.jpg

The city needs to deputize its cycling community. If I see a car parked in a bike lane I take a photo and upload it to a TPS app. Then TPS mails a warning with a copy of the photo to the offending car's owner. After several warnings, TPS knows who the worst offenders are and can take action.

Can we actually do that? Or is that what you'd like to see?

Can we actually do that? Or is that what you'd like to see?
Anyone can make the app, here's one attempt to deal with illegally parked cars in Toronto that supposedly alerted tow truck operators, https://towit.io/ but I think it came to nothing.

Right now, outside of social media posts directed @ TPS there's no way to alert TPS of bike lane parkers. Even the TPS drop down menu at https://www.torontopolice.on.ca/core/immediate_parking_complaint.php doesn't include bike lanes.

You wish.

I still get cars honking/yelling at me when I go down shaw: "ONE WAY STREET ASSHOLE, YOU'RE BIKING THE WRONG WAY!"
The fix is easy. Make all one way streets, unless marked legal for bikes coming the other way, no paint, no special lanes. Change the HTA that cars must yield to oncoming cyclists when on one way roads. The stroke of a pen could fix this.

Here‘s what I’m on about, https://www.cyclinguk.org/campaigni...a-flow-cycling-2-way-cycling-in-1-way-streets

Last edited:

Back