Toronto Union Centre | 298m | 54s | Westbank | Bjarke Ingels Group

Updated model, new screenshot:

Toronto Model 07-15-20 Union Centre.png

I notice the latest design has also lost the trees/greenery on top. I guess we knew that was coming.
This is a very quickly made diagram only meant to indicate the location of louvres, and should not be understood as a representation of every aspect of the design.

1594728033449-png.257267

Do you think you can't rate shafts transparently??

I think that it could be very impractical. 120 minute fire glass is $300 PSF; though I have never seen rated glass doors. Given that the tower is 400 feet wide and 750 feet tall, and the core face is the majority of the tower, it could be $90,000,000 of glass. I think, further, that wire glass would not be acceptable. Deluge sprinklers could be an option, but that is an alternative solution, and I have never seen it accepted for this use.

Yup - the Well will have it:

1594841430084.png

(photo by @Red Mars).

F+P's Leslie Dan also have a (fritted) glass elevator shaft. Going back even further - don't forget even CN Tower got it either. So clearly it isn't so unique and cost-prohibitive. (though none are nearly as wild as 88 Wood in execution)

AoD

Last edited:
Right you are, AOD. Completely forgot about Leslie L. Dan. Looks opaque from the outside, but it's a completely different experience from the cabs.

yyz98.jpg

I think that the city should be pushing for a rail deck park stretching from Bathurst to Church, somehow connecting through Union Station. The Oxford Properties, this lot, and that sketchy apartment building/parking garage that stretches from the Esplanade building to Market St (the latter inevitably set to be knocked down and redeveloped when Church is extended south of the railway/highway) are substantial development opportunities where the city ought to give up density in exchange for a rail park). Re the building in general: I'm a big fan of BIG (including their King West project) but I'm a bit underwhelmed by their lack of ambition on this building. I've seen much more boring but I still expected more from a starchtect firm

I think that the city should be pushing for a rail deck park stretching from Bathurst to Church, somehow connecting through Union Station. The Oxford Properties, this lot, and that sketchy apartment building/parking garage that stretches from the Esplanade building to Market St (the latter inevitably set to be knocked down and redeveloped when Church is extended south of the railway/highway) are substantial development opportunities where the city ought to give up density in exchange for a rail park). Re the building in general: I'm a big fan of BIG (including their King West project) but I'm a bit underwhelmed by their lack of ambition on this building. I've seen much more boring but I still expected more from a starchtect firm

This portion isn't that critical given the nature of the developments on the opposite side. The MTCC - CN Tower section is the most critical section.

AoD

Back