Toronto Union Centre | 298m | 54s | Westbank | Bjarke Ingels Group

I know what they are, I mean the one on top is thicker than the one on lower floors. That look abnormal. Both should have same thickness.

Oh Gosh I really hope they don't put any grates.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still think that the biggest issue is that the building will not be transparent as they've shown in all of their renders. The elevators need to be fire rated. It will be a 400' wide opaque wall. I am very upset it is not a narrower building.

I still think that the biggest issue is that the building will not be transparent as they've shown in all of their renders. The elevators need to be fire rated. It will be a 400' wide opaque wall. I am very upset it is not a narrower building.

That may not necessarily be the case. Fire-rated glass exists already, and it can provide up to 2 hours of fire resistance, which covers the highest required fire-ratings for elevator shafts in the Ontario Building Code. It would probably be a lot more expensive than an opaque wall, but I've never known BIG or Westbank for really cheaping out on their buildings.

The well is also getting transparent exterior elevator shafts so it's definitely feasible.

i can't really decide how i feel about the mechanical floor treatment. On one hand, it breaks up the relentless glass wall with some solid materiality. On the other, their different proportions look messy and make the result looks unpolished...

Back