News   Apr 23, 2024
 207     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 359     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 999     0 

Toronto Bike Share

Oh this is sad. I wasn't aware that the system was being run by a private company. Makes me want to research if Bike Share is also in a similar agreement. We can't afford to lose the system especially now. (Also hi, first post here ? )

Operations of the system have been contracted out since the Toronto Parking Authority takeover from the Public Bike System Company in 2014. First it was Alta Bicycle Share (AKA Motivate) and currently Shift Transit.

Wasn't even aware that SoBi came under Uber control.

This is a great example though of why I am so skeptical of big tech entering housing and transportation (such as with Sidewalk/Google at Quayside). They can enter a market with intention to disrupt, then decide to exit the market at their convenience, leaving the public to pick up the tab.

I guess Hamilton should be happy that at least Uber did not leave behind proprietary infrastructure.

I am equally skeptical for the same reasons. The one I'm watching to see the other shoe drop on is the Innisfil Uber Transit experiment. It already got too popular that it was costing more than anticipated. I will be surprised if it can continue to run long term. (sorry for going off topic)

^Thats the same model as in Hamilton, it was a contract. The city owns all the bikes.

Hamilton will have to find a new contractor. The problem is if they can find one in a few weeks.

Between Hamilton, London, and Toronto, I honestly dont know which one of these cities has the largest group of idiot city councillors in the country anymore. Just when I think one city clearly takes the lead, the other says "hold my drink".

Between Hamilton, London, and Toronto, I honestly dont know which one of these cities has the largest group of idiot city councillors in the country anymore. Just when I think one city clearly takes the lead, the other says "hold my drink".
Don't forget that city councillors are elected by its citizens. That tells you something about the people living in those cities.

Toronto is honestly much better than it used to be. Seems near-competent now.

Hamilton has long struggled with meeting that target. The amount of petty politics that goes on in the city is ridiculous.

Brampton absolutely takes the cake. They will forever be known as the city that was offered a FREE, 1 billion dollar LRT by the province and were like "nah, no thanks"

Though enough of those bums were kicked out in 2018. It's a much more progessive council now.

It's also easy to forget that Mississauga wiped out a stop in Port Credit that would have better served the business area and waterfront parks.

Brampton absolutely takes the cake. They will forever be known as the city that was offered a FREE, 1 billion dollar LRT by the province and were like "nah, no thanks"
That was one of the most idiotic decisions i've ever seen from a city in my lifetime, dont get me wrong and Linda Jeffery deservedly paid the price for her mindful stupidity on the matter.

But let's not forget, Toronto's ongoing saga with the SRT. A city which was offered free money as well for it's replacement, voted in favor, then flip-flopped on the matter umpteen times to the point that the line will literally crumble away.

Hamilton's LRT saga is another joke that's been going on for the past 10+ years, and the cancellation was a self-inflicted wound by the same idiotic councillors who time, and time again stalled the project from going forward.

This is a city which has the worst public transit system in the GTAH, so by them scrapping their bike share program it hampers a city which really has no real viable alternative transport mean.

I know that Toronto council has been frustrating at times, but c'mon it's not even close. While Hamilton allowed their bike share system to be screwed by Uber in the worst possible moment, Toronto council just voted overwhelmingly for the biggest-ever cycling network expansion in the city's history (and against all the usual Holyday trojan horse motions). While listening to the meeting, even some of the suburban councilors who were generally less supportive a decade ago, have acknowledged a cultural shift going on in how we move, and how we need to fundamentally rethink the way we design our streets going forward. They also expressed strong desire to expand cycling infrastructure in their communities as well...not just downtown, and passed motions that will help expedite that.

And speaking of Bikeshare, we are set for another huge expansion this year if plans hold.

1590695715201.png

That was one vote. In my view that does not dismiss the sustained investments that they made toward Brampton Transit year-after-year that has resulted in the impressive ridership growth that we've witnessed, while Hamilton transit went in the opposite direction under the numerous failings by their leaders. Based on outcomes alone, Hamilton did way worse.

Back