1.1K     16 
News   Nov 20, 2019
 577     0 

Toronto Bike Share

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Just wanted to add an anecdote about this. In 2011 I hadn't been on a bike in over 10 years but tried Bixi the first week it launched in Toronto. It made me realize how much faster it was to get places by bike vs the TTC and I've had a membership for 8 years now. I also eventually got my own bike so that I could bike to places outside of their service zone. I went from using the TTC almost everyday to using the TTC a couple of times per month and bike pretty much everywhere now.
Yup. I live in the middle of downtown and can probably average 5 trips a month on the TTC, mostly to areas that are too far to bike.

Megaton327

Member Bio
Reaction score
Yeah, it's pretty crazy. I used to live at Bathurst and Lakeshore and worked at U of T - the commute would take me anywhere between 30 minutes and 1 hour 15 minutes by TTC barring any exceptional service disruptions. I previously had to walk to a bikeshare near Bathurst and Wellington then the nearest dock to my office was College and Huron, then I had to walk a bit up Huron; the total commute including the walks was about 30 minutes consistently. If the current docks were in place when I lived there, the total commute would probably have been about 20 minutes. And more bike lanes/cycle tracks have gone in. More than anything, I hated the inconsistency on the TTC, 30 vs 75 minutes.

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
In a report to the Toronto Parking Authority Board, the idea of extending the base time for Bikeshare to 45 minutes, from 30 is not recommended by staff.

The argument has to do with a combination of trip time analysis (which I would argue supports longer trips, but I digress); and a look at pricing for annual membership in systems that support longer times (yet largely ignores Montreal in the comparison).

Sigh..

Report here:

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
Progress can be slow some times...

I was popping on the BikeShare map and realized they had the most random of stations at Eglinton and Leslie now. Wild.
That's an asinine location, at least currently. There's no other stations for a considerable distance on Eglinton, nor any others in the valley within a 30 minute trip. (next one down is Pottery Road).

It would be fine if it were somehow connected to other stations, but it isn't. Such a waste.

WislaHD

Member Bio
Reaction score
I can only think that they are just readying their infrastructure for post-Crosstown world and that there was a lack of bureaucratic red tape to proceed with that location as opposed to others at this point in time.

Maybe they are also seeing something that is not obvious. Come to think of it, there have been times when I or a friend have been caught at Sunnybrook Park without a bike, while the rest of the friend group were on bikes. More options is never bad, and ideally we will want to see the system expanded across Eglinton one day.

Regardless, seems a little early for that station.

rbt

Member Bio
Reaction score
In a report to the Toronto Parking Authority Board, the idea of extending the base time for Bikeshare to 45 minutes, from 30 is not recommended by staff.

The argument has to do with a combination of trip time analysis (which I would argue supports longer trips, but I digress); and a look at pricing for annual membership in systems that support longer times (yet largely ignores Montreal in the comparison).
Yeah. I'm looking at those casual user numbers and find myself wanting conversion rates to memberships for those who go over the 30 minute limit versus those who do not. Getting stuck with $4 extra because you spent a few minutes looking for a bike stand would piss off a few customers; there's a pretty clear scramble between 25 minutes and 35 minutes for casuals.

Perhaps advertising 30 minutes but granting 35 minutes would be financially advantageous (sell more memberships). Give a notice somehow that they received a short extension gratis.

Last edited:

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Yeah. I'm looking at those casual user numbers and find myself wanting conversion rates to memberships for those who go over the 30 minute limit versus those who do not. Getting stuck with $4 extra because you spent a few minutes looking for a bike stand would piss off a few customers; there's a pretty clear scramble between 25 minutes and 35 minutes for casuals.

Perhaps advertising 30 minutes but granting 35 minutes would be financially advantageous (sell more memberships). Give a notice somehow that they received a short extension gratis.
Like how the TPS gives a 10 minute grace period on expired parking tickets?

TorPronto

Member Bio
Reaction score

You can get extra time if the nearest bike stand is full

mdrejhon

Member Bio
Reaction score
I can only think that they are just readying their infrastructure for post-Crosstown world and that there was a lack of bureaucratic red tape to proceed with that location as opposed to others at this point in time.
Yes.

Behind the scenes, it is easier to stake claims for land early than later. The patchwork of stations will probably be properly infilled later with additional stations. Those spots may have been what was cheaply/freely available that could be locked-down with long-term contracts. Basically becoming a "staking claim" stage. Metaphorically, a land rush, in a manner of speaking.

Imagine having to pay costs (say, $150/month paid to a parking lot owner) for land for a bikeshare station -- versus getting free rent for a station at $0/month for 10 years thanks to a progressive business offering their siding space for a station (who just only wants a free bikeshare membership and the bonus "convenience" in return). Especially in a part of city where goverment isn't yet ready to approve sidewalk space or street parking takeovers yet.

Bikeshare fleets have to do strategic cost decisions like that -- especially in low-traffic peripheral areas -- which sometimes leads to stations in patchwork or asinine areas (at least initially).

It'll probably infill nicely later by the time Crosstown runs.

Last edited:

amnesiajune

Member Bio
Reaction score
That's an asinine location, at least currently. There's no other stations for a considerable distance on Eglinton, nor any others in the valley within a 30 minute trip. (next one down is Pottery Road).
It's about a 20 minute bike ride downhill and 25 minutes uphill.

Anyhow, the appeal of this probably is to get some revenue from people who park there, then ride down and often back up, paying for at least a day pass. It's not meant to connect with the rest of Eglinton because of the hills -- bike share systems all over the world struggle to get people to ride uphill. This is also why the Bike Share system east of Pape is split into a network of stations at the lower end of the big hills and another network along Danforth.

Admiral Beez

Member Bio
Reaction score
I do wish Bikeshare would stop putting their stations on the grass. Twice now picking up bikes on a dark morning I've stepped in dog sh#t trying to extricate a bike from the dock. This morning, 6:30am I'm getting bike at Queen and Berkeley and spat goes the dog crap - so apologies if the brand new men's room in the lower concourse at Union smelled like a dog's rear this morning - that was me washing off my boot. Same happened last year at Sumach and Carlton. Multiple other times getting or dropping off bikes during nighttime I've been lucky enough to see and avoid the mess beforehand.

So, please no more of these...

I notice the new stations are still being dropped in the grass like these.