News   Jul 31, 2020
 3.3K     13 
News   Jul 31, 2020
 1.1K     3 

Toronto Bike Share

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
Though on grass is not great it is better than NO station and I bet it is both more costly and more 'administratively burdensome" to put down a concrete pad. (and then removing it if/when you relocate the bikes.
True, though there is another option, they could lay down an industrial rubber mat and just peg it into the grass. It would kill the grass mind you; but that's only an issue if they move the dock.

Reactions: DSC

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
TPA is about to award a 5-year contract to manage Bike Share - same vendor as now. See: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2020.PA12.1

Summary
Number of Bids: Four (4)

Description:

The purpose of this Request for Proposal (RFP) is to select a qualified company to partner with Toronto Parking Authority (TPA) for the operation and administration of the Bike Share Toronto system.

Through a competitive bid process, TPA selected and contracted with Ward O'Farrell Consultants Inc., a Government of Ontario Vendor of Record consulting firm specializing in preparing, writing, and managing government procurement RFPs.

In total, 19 organizations were invited to submit responses to the RFP through direct contact to known suppliers or through contacting two transportation and bike share associations: the North American City Transportation Officials (NACTO) and the North American Bike Share Association (NABSA).

TPA received four (4) proposals in total: Shift Transit Inc. (incumbent), CycleHop LLC, Bicycle Transit Systems, and Bewegen Technologies Inc. All of these companies currently manage bike share programs in North America.

Attachment 2.

Table 2 - Summary of Bids Received for RFP Number 20190821 Including Bid Price and Score

Bidder NameBid Price -
Monthly Fees
Bid Price -
Incremental Fees
Proponent Points
Bewegen Technologies Inc.$1,054,350$1,167,507266 points
Bicycle Transit Systems$1,382,224$1,031,150398 points
CycleHop LLC$810,764.50$365,200344 points
Shift Transit Inc.$461,700$1,496425 points

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
From the above:

1,700 more bikes,
150 new docking stations
Individual docks from 8,550 to 12,000.

The new equipment represents a 35 per cent increase in the number of Bike Share stations

I believe there is an intent to roll the program out to York U, a few other far flung spots, along with growing the core area, and have bike share at more Subway and GO stations.

Admiral Beez

Member Bio
Reaction score
Anyone using Bikeshare during Covid19? No way I’m touching shared handlebars, gloves or no. I suppose one could Purell the bars and seat adjustment and one‘s hands before setting off, same as we do shopping carts.

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
apparently ridership is down by about 50% over last year, which isn't as bad as I would have expected. A lot probably has to do with the expansion and the fact that if it wasn't for COVID ridership would likely have been way up this year.

max

Member Bio
Reaction score
Anyone using Bikeshare during Covid19? No way I’m touching shared handlebars, gloves or no. I suppose one could Purell the bars and seat adjustment and one‘s hands before setting off, same as we do shopping carts.
I've used it. There's been a rumor that -- you know, a very nice rumor -- that you go outside in the sun you have heat and it does have an effect on other viruses. Bike share may have spoken to the medical doctors to see if there's any way that you can apply light to the handlebars.

ADRM

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've used it. There's been a rumor that -- you know, a very nice rumor -- that you go outside in the sun you have heat and it does have an effect on other viruses. Bike share may have spoken to the medical doctors to see if there's any way that you can apply light to the handlebars.
Just don't try to swallow the bike itself.

tripwire

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've seen a number of folks using them. I think so long as they are able to keep it clean (wipe handlebars, etc) I think it should be OK.

ADRM

Member Bio
Reaction score
apparently ridership is down by about 50% over last year, which isn't as bad as I would have expected
This is almost exactly correct; April 2019 ridership was 145,156, and April 2020 ridership was 71,781; even the latter is still a lot of trips, considering the environment we're in. Will be interesting to see how the next few months unfold compared against last year's totals, taking into account the gradual easing of the lockdown.

By way of comparison, peak months last year:
June 2019: 292,283
July 2019: 382,255
August 2019: 417,400
September 2019: 330,712

WislaHD

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've seen more people using it in Midtown than ever before, but that is likely because expansion is brand new up here, there is finally supply.

I think most people in this crises would just find gloves to use while biking. The biggest problem for Bike Share is that there is an obvious lack of demand due to way less trips taking place.