News   Apr 18, 2024
 705     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.3K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.5K     4 

The Toronto Islands

Why not both?

Because I don't find the airport to be the tumour on the face of the city that the highway is and find it useful, unlike the highway, which I would go ahead and keep if it were underground if I'm being honest. That's not even remotely an option though so rubbish that dream.

I supported the expansion of the airport runway. Possibly for selfish reasons so I could "walk" to Vancouver, etc. :D

I think the airport serves and important function which the highway does not and I don't find it detrimental to the waterfront as I do with the highway. By the way, another shit section of Gardiner is the bit west of Dufferin. It makes an absolute mockery of our waterfront and kills off a vast swath of it at this end of town. In contrast, the airport is a stub on the end of a great set of islands.

I use the airport and highway both, and could obviously live without both (frankly, I'm trying to escape this town altogether) but the highway has great alternates. The airport has Pearson, and I'd rather not. My last trip to Europe was through Dorval, just to avoid going to Pearson. I might be a bit mad, but it was a fine itinerary.

The highway is a seriously detrimental sore that is the source of a thousand times more noise and pollution* than the airport.

*--Rough estimate probably accurate within 15%

Plan for Toronto islands access to be unveiled Wednesday

Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Mayor John Tory says the city will provide details on Wednesday about how people will be able to access the Toronto islands this summer.

“We just got a plan. It was restricted before by the ferry boats not being able to carry full capacity. We’ll have something more to say about that tomorrow morning,” Tory told CP24 during an episode of The Mayor Tuesday night.

On Monday, Tory said the restriction limiting ferry capacity to 50 per cent “is a very big constraining factor” when it comes to reopening transportation to the islands to the public.

“If you can imagine when we have lineups when the fairies are operating at full capacity, what lineups you might have when they are restricted by federal regulation to half capacity,” Tory told reporters during a news conference Monday.

He said the islands present a “complicated set of circumstances” but added that the city has been working towards some sort of partial reopening, “recognizing that it’s a very sought after a place for a lot of people to be during the summer months and we think we can fashion a plan to take account of all different restrictions.”

City staff said they have been working on ways to reopen some amenities on the islands, such as public washrooms, that support wider use of the park.

Plan for Toronto islands access to be unveiled Wednesday

Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Mayor John Tory says the city will provide details on Wednesday about how people will be able to access the Toronto islands this summer.

“We just got a plan. It was restricted before by the ferry boats not being able to carry full capacity. We’ll have something more to say about that tomorrow morning,” Tory told CP24 during an episode of The Mayor Tuesday night.

On Monday, Tory said the restriction limiting ferry capacity to 50 per cent “is a very big constraining factor” when it comes to reopening transportation to the islands to the public.

“If you can imagine when we have lineups when the fairies are operating at full capacity, what lineups you might have when they are restricted by federal regulation to half capacity,” Tory told reporters during a news conference Monday.

He said the islands present a “complicated set of circumstances” but added that the city has been working towards some sort of partial reopening, “recognizing that it’s a very sought after a place for a lot of people to be during the summer months and we think we can fashion a plan to take account of all different restrictions.”

City staff said they have been working on ways to reopen some amenities on the islands, such as public washrooms, that support wider use of the park.

This is such a load of ..............

First off, I know the decision to reopen the Islands was taken awhile ago, ...........hint, the lifeguards were not hired and trained yesterday, they start July 1st on the Islands.

Just sayin.

That aside, managing Ferry loads in not complicated, most ferry loads on weekdays are typically under 50% as is.......sometimes much less..........

On busy days, more of an issue........but easily resolved by requiring advanced, time-specific tickets, to avoid line-ups.

Not rocket science.

Besides........Island Airport is still closed.......there's pedestrian tunnel to said airport...........cut a hole in the damned fence and let people walk over...........

Last edited:
This is such a load of ..............

First off, I know the decision to reopen the Islands was taken awhile ago, ...........hint, the lifeguards were not hired and trained yesterday, they start July 1st on the Islands.

Just sayin.

That aside, managing Ferry loads in not complicated, most ferry loads on weekdays are typically under 50% as is.......sometimes much less..........

On busy days, more of an issue........but easily resolved by requiring advanced, time-specific tickets, to avoid line-ups.

Not rocket science.

Besides........Island Airport is still closed.......there's pedestrian tunnel to said airport...........cut a hole in the damned fence and let people walk over...........

Knowing nothing about ticketing systems but it might, in fact, be rocket science if their current system isn't designed or easily convertible to time-specific. Their system might be a simple money-in-ticket-out system. The Island Airport is still open -Ornge uses it as well as general aviation. So long as it still classed as active', security and safety prevent unauthorized persons on airside property. They could manage something like timed shuttles across the property, for a fee.

Knowing nothing about ticketing systems but it might, in fact, be rocket science if their current system isn't designed or easily convertible to time-specific. Their system might be a simple money-in-ticket-out system. The Island Airport is still open -Ornge uses it as well as general aviation. So long as it still classed as active', security and safety prevent unauthorized persons on airside property. They could manage something like timed shuttles across the property, for a fee.

They did in fact announce online reservations today; though only specific to date, not time.

I'm am not a professional coder, but I have done a bit over the years; and one of my closest friends is an IT professor.

Have to say, its not a complex coding change.

If the City is using its own proprietary software it would be very straight-forward to change.

If not, its a vendor-change; assuming the original software supplier still exists.

At any rate, my point was that the decision to reopen, under what circumstances and when was taken ............awhile ago.

The impression the Mayor leaves that this decision was made in the last couple of days.................

Last edited:
From Toronto Life:

Maybe the rule around Island property being inheritable should be scrapped altogether.

AoD

I'm of two minds on this issue at a high level (not the particulars here)

1) I like the Island community as the quaint space that it is; it has a unique and interesting character, that on the one hand would be a shame to lose.

2) On the other hand, the unfairness of allowing people to have these properties on land they do not own; and could not afford (in the majority of cases), were the properties on the open market is rather obvious.

I don't see any particularly great solutions.

One possible option would be to have the province formally buy the buildings, and convert the arrangement of residents to that of tenant.

That would at least create a different sort of level playing field for access.

Most units could be set at market rent, perhaps with a portion of properties allocated as rent-geared-to-income so as not to make it an exclusive enclave of a different form.

The fairest option is all-park; but we would lose lots of architectural and community character.

Barring the construction of new islands there is no way to materially expand the community. ( I think its safe to say there will not be any devolving of existing park).

The challenge is similar to, though arguably greater than that of the well-below market-rent charged to Yacht clubs.

Occupying prime public real estate, and generally not being accessible to the broader public; both by way of private, fenced property and by way of memberships beyond the financial means of most; never mind
the cost of a boat.

Yet, the boat clubs do offer some charm on the islands, and eliminating them all together doesn't seem all that desirable; while charging full market-rent would simply see prices
inflate further beyond the means of the majority.

Something of a conundrum.

Last edited:
I'm of two minds on this issue at a high level (not the particulars here)

1) I like Island community as the quaint space that it is; it has a unique and interesting character, that on the one hand would be a shame to lose.

2) On the other hand, the unfairness of allowing people to have these properties on land they do not own; and could not afford (in the majority of cases), were the properties on the open market is rather obvious.

I don't see any particularly great solutions.

One possible option would be to have the province formally buy the buildings, and convert the arrangement of residents to that of tenant.

That would at least create a different sort of level playing field for access.

Most units could be set at market rent, perhaps with a portion of properties allocated as rent-geared-to-income so as not to make it an exclusive enclave of a different form.

The fairest option is all-park; but we would lose lots of architectural and community character.

Barring the construction of new islands there is no way to materially expand the community. ( I think its safe to say there will not be any devolving of existing park).

The challenge is similar to, though arguably greater than that of the well-below market-rent charged to Yacht clubs.

Occupying prime public real estate, and generally not being accessible to the broader public; both by way of private, fenced property and by way of memberships beyond the financial means of most; never mind
the cost of a boat.

Yet, the boat clubs do offer some charm on the islands, and eliminating them all together doesn't seem all that desirable; while charging full market-rent would simply see prices
inflate further beyond the means of the majority.

Something of a conundrum.

Maybe turn them all into leaseholds as the current owners dies or moves way? Reorganize the properties under a quasi-public trust; limiting leases to 5 years with the possibility of one 5 year extension?

AoD

Maybe turn them all into leaseholds as the current owners dies or passes away? Reorganize the properties under a quasi-public trust; limiting leases to 5 years with the possibility of one 5 year extension?

AoD

Certainly one possibility.

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to creating another island or two.......though not necessarily at same location as the existing. Doubtless, one could never build enough to meet demand.

It would be an option for dealing w/all the fill removed from construction sites without trucking it out the City..........and designed strategically could provide housing and parks and marina space, with that latter being conditional on public access to grounds, slips that are accessible by day or month, and annual fees kept low.

We could also build a new public access golf course, designed with sustainability, and connectivity for the public; and have that allow the closure/downsizing etc of one of the existing public courses on the mainland.

Obviously there would be both ecological considerations, and it would have to make economic sense.

But might be worth a look-see.

New Islands, on a smaller scale were actually considered relatively recently:

Certainly one possibility.

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to creating another island or two.......though not necessarily at same location as the existing. Doubtless, one could never build enough to meet demand.

It would be an option for dealing w/all the fill removed from construction sites without trucking it out the City..........and designed strategically could provide housing and parks and marina space, with that latter being conditional on public access to grounds, slips that are accessible by day or month, and annual fees kept low.

We could also build a new public access golf course, designed with sustainability, and connectivity for the public; and have that allow the closure/downsizing etc of one of the existing public courses on the mainland.

Obviously there would be both ecological considerations, and it would have to make economic sense.

But might be worth a look-see.

New Islands, on a smaller scale were actually considered relatively recently:

That's a different issue entirely - I am not sure why building additional islands should be the policy response to what clearly become somewhat of a generational entitlement to public lands.

AoD

Back