Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

^^^ I'm sure an LED display could be done in a way that's consistent with their brand.
I dunno. I don't think we need more screens in Y&D. It's already pretty saturated, and all it does is appease those who a) sell ads, and b) have an inferiority complex about Times Square or Shibuya Crossing

The Uniqlo frontage is pretty miserable; such a waste of prime, visual real-estate. It's crying out for an LED display.

The Uniqlo frontage is a refreshing oasis of calm and works well juxtaposed with the sensory overload all around it. It stands out and isn't that the purpose of a sign? And it's a good looking sign as far as signs go, Besides it could be 100 times worse: it could be all glass.

^^^ I'm sure an LED display could be done in a way that's consistent with their brand.

Anything with hundreds of pixels per square inch isn't going to be calming. There's a reason people with Attention Deficit Disorder prefer video over print. Most of them have trouble reading a book or can't do it at all.

The Uniqlo frontage is a refreshing oasis of calm and works well juxtaposed with the sensory overload all around it. It stands out and isn't that the purpose of a sign? And it's a good looking sign as far as signs go, Besides it could be 100 times worse: it could be all glass.

Agree, though to be fair I'd stay as far away from YDS as I can if I wanted calm - and Uniqlo certainly didn't choose to locate in Eaton Centre because it is calm either. There is a certain irony in that (like the Apple Store is the one with the most unbearably hectic shopping experience - the antithesis of their design philosophy)

AoD

Last edited:
A Toronto Archives photo of the Eaton Centre in its early days. I miss all the benches that were in the mall. There are only a few now, always overcrowded, with all those overhangs now just wasted space. I laugh at the "Ongoing Renewal" in this thread, because apart from the new Queen Street overpass, everything "renewed" doesn't feel like it.

H
Inside Eaton Centre 1.jpg

A Toronto Archives photo of the Eaton Centre in its early days. I miss all the benches that were in the mall. There are only a few now, always overcrowded, with all those overhangs now just wasted space. I laugh at the "Ongoing Renewal" in this thread, because apart from the new Queen Street overpass, everything "renewed" doesn't feel like it.

HView attachment 199642
All I can think is "damn, that skylight looks so clean..."

All I can think is "damn, that skylight looks so clean..."
I'm honestly really amazed Cadillac Fairview hasn't done something with it yet. I can't imagine it would be an unbelievably large job to replace the glass panels, and it would make the mall feel so much brighter and nicer.

I'm honestly really amazed Cadillac Fairview hasn't done something with it yet. I can't imagine it would be an unbelievably large job to replace the glass panels, and it would make the mall feel so much brighter and nicer.

Maybe they think it is a better idea for it to stay dirty and indirectly reduce the heat (thus AC) load...

All that vegetation...the only thing I don't miss is the No Frills yellow signage.

AoD

When I worked in the mall, we always always had to deal with leaks especially during the winter with snow buildup. That was years ago - I wonder if they're just waiting it out. My worry was always a collapse from too much snow.

Back