News   Apr 16, 2024
 445     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.6K     7 

St Lawrence Market

The new external lighting on South Market is now installed on south, east and west sides and the lights on north side (on Front) will be finished in about 6 weeks. There will be an unveiling in August.
508BDD6A-B30D-4554-B390-22DEA8D8B681.jpeg

Coming to TEYCC in a few weeks:

TE7.116
ACTION​
Delegated​
Ward: 13​
St. Lawrence Neighbourhood Traffic Studies
Origin
(June 7, 2019) Letter from Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam, Ward 13 Toronto Centre​
Recommendations
Councillor Wong-Tam recommends that:

1. The Toronto and East York Community Council request the General Manager, Transportation Services, to review safety improvements for the following intersections, and to report back the outcome to the Toronto and East York Community Council meeting on September 16, 2019:

a. Jarvis Street and The Esplanade;
b. Church Street and the Esplanade;
c. Front Street East and Jarvis Street;
d. King Street East and Jarvis Street;
e. Adelaide Street East and Church Street;
f. Jarvis Street and Adelaide Street East; and,
g. Front Street East and Scott Street.

See: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2019.TE7.116

Something needs to be done with Ontario street at both Adelaide and Richmond. It's getting crazy with the arrival of the new condos, and George Brown to have only a crosswalk at King and Queen and nothing in between. No one is walking all the way around via Sherbourne or Berkeley when the streetcar stop is at Ontario.

And speaking of those traffic lights on Berkeley at Richmond, Adelaide, and King: time to make them normal lights that go off every cycle regardless of whether or not someone pushes the button. It's like that at Front Street, so why is it not at all the other three?

Something needs to be done with Ontario street at both Adelaide and Richmond. It's getting crazy with the arrival of the new condos, and George Brown to have only a crosswalk at King and Queen and nothing in between. No one is walking all the way around via Sherbourne or Berkeley when the streetcar stop is at Ontario.

I know its where the principal building for GB is............but what about chopping the Ontario Street streetcar stops altogether? They're only about 150m or so from Sherbourne which is absurdly close, and if you remove them, the distance btw
Sherbourne and Parliament is about 430m; meaning a worst-case walking distance to a stop of about 215m along King or Queen.

That wouldn't seem unreasonable to me.

It would result in far fewer crossings and greater safety.

If the King Street pilot zone were extended east to Parliament, you could implement farside loading stops using the curb lane which create a lot more room for waiting passengers as well.

Finally .... coming to Council next week.

MM8.20
ACTION​
Ward: 13​
Authorization to Release Section 37 and Section 45(9) Funds from Various Developments for St. James Cathedral Heritage Lighting Improvements - by Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam, seconded by Councillor Mike Layton
* Notice of this Motion has been given.
* This Motion is subject to referral to the Executive Committee. A two-thirds vote is required to waive referral.
Recommendations
Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam, seconded by Councillor Mike Layton, recommends that:

1. City Council increase the Approved 2019 Operating Budget for Non-Program by $495,000.00 gross, $0 net, for the purpose of forwarding funds to The Churchwardens of The Cathedral Church of St. James, for the installation of heritage lighting at St. James Cathedral (Cost Centre: NP2161), fully funded by Section 37 and 45(9) community benefits obtained from the following developments:

a. 108-116 George Street and 234 Adelaide Street East, secured for improvements to the lighting in St. James Park, in the amount of $4,468.41 (Source Account: XR3026-3700016);

b. 105 George Street and 252 Adelaide Street East, secured for the implementation of the Heritage Lighting Master Plan for Old Town Toronto, in the amount of $14,466.53 (Source Account: XR2028-4500093);

c. 20 to 26 Lombard Street and 25 Richmond Street East, secured for the implementation of Heritage Lighting Master Plan for Old Town Toronto, in the amount of $153,103.02 (Source Account: XR3026-3700825); and

d. 177-197 Front Street East, secured for secured for the implementation of Heritage Lighting Master Plan for Old Town Toronto, in the amount of $322,962.04 (Source Account: XR3026-3700942)

2. City Council forward the $315,000 to The Churchwardens of The Cathedral Church of St. James, subject to the Churchwardens signing an Undertaking governing the use of the funds and the financial reporting requirements.​
Summary
Authority is being sought to release Section 37 funds to St. James Cathedral for exterior heritage lighting of this historic site, located at 106 King Street East.

In 2011, the Heritage Lighting Master Plan for Old Town Toronto was completed, which included a lighting vision for the historic heart of the City, and opportunities to use night time lighting design to highlight architectural details. St. James Cathedral was identified as a site of particular importance and prominence in the lighting plan. Enhancement of this building is part of a strategy to highlight the heritage of the City, and to support the continued development of St. Lawrence and the Old Town as a tourist destination. The cathedral is an iconic heritage building and was a project that the late Councillor McConnell had championed as part of the revitalization of the adjacent St. James Park.

On July 23, 2018, City Council permitted the release of $315,000 in funds to this lighting project. Following the St. James Cathedral tendering this project out, it was determined that the secured funds, which included $75,000 from the Cathedral itself, were significantly higher than had been estimated by the Cathedral's lighting consultant due to a miscalculation of material costs. To proceed with the original amount would mean that not only the lighting on the cathedral would be suboptimal, it would reduce the amount of additional lighting at grade.

The design will recognize the historic importance of the building, and will enhance the façade and the historical character of the site. In particular, the design will highlight the architecture, address major entry points, and illuminate specific and historic features of the site.

St. James Cathedral, in addition to its charitable activities, provides a de facto extension of St. James Park despite itself not being parkland. The cathedral permits their grounds to be used by residents with pets, as there is an abundance in the area but no current or planned dog run in St. James Park. Given current safety issues in the Downtown East, increasing the amount of light at grade would be highly beneficial to public safety and would complement Phase 2 of the St. James Park revitalization that will begin this year.

Funds have been secured through Section 37 and 45(9) benefits from various developments in proximity to the Cathedral for the purpose of implementing the Heritage Interpretation Master Plan for Old Town Toronto and/or the Heritage Lighting Master Plan for Old Town Toronto. These funds have been received by the City.​

Also coming to Council next week:

MM8.8
ACTION​
Ward: 10​
Request to Amend the 2019 Parks Forestry and Recreation Capital Budget for the David Crombie Park Revitalization Design Project - by Councillor Joe Cressy, seconded by Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam
* Notice of this Motion has been given.
* This Motion is subject to referral to the Executive Committee. A two-thirds vote is required to waive referral.
Recommendations
Councillor Joe Cressy, seconded by Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam, recommends that:

1. City Council amend the Approved 2019 Parks, Forestry and Recreation Capital Budget for the David Crombie Park Revitalization Design sub-project in the Park Development project, in the amount of $0.053 million, increasing the total project cost from $0.200 million to $0.253 million and 2019 cash flow from $0.118 million to $0.171 million with funding from the Section 42 Above 5 percent Cash-in-lieu for 75 The Esplanade (Source Account: XR2213-4201214) for the additional scope of work.​
Summary
This Motion seeks authority to increase funding for the David Crombie Park Revitalization Design sub-project in the 2019 Parks, Forestry and Recreation Capital Budget by $0.053 million, fully funded by Section 42 Above 5 percent Cash-in-lieu.

David Crombie Park is a 3.95 acre linear City park that forms the "green spine" of the St. Lawrence Neighbourhood in the downtown east. The park, heavily used by the entire St. Lawrence community, was built in the late 1970's on former railway lands as an integral open space for then-new infill neighbourhood on former industrial lands. Parks, Forestry and Recreation Capital Projects procured professional services in June 2018 to prepare a comprehensive conceptual design and implementation plan for improvements to David Crombie Park that meet the current and future needs of the community. The design will evolve through consultation with residents, stakeholders and the public.

To provide a more comprehensive park plan that addresses the needs of the neighbourhood, the scope of work has been expanded to include two parks that book-end Crombie Park. Parliament Square Park is an existing recreational park on the east end of Crombie Park while the block south of the St. Lawrence Market will be a future park immediately west of Crombie Park. The cost of the additional work is $0.053 million.

This request will increase the project cost and 2019 cash flow for the David Crombie Park Revitalization Design sub-project by $0.053 million from a Section 42 Above 5 percent Cash-in-lieu for the additional scope of work.​

I'd be glad to see the Ontario stops go FTR.
Though these are not 'my stops", I think they are actually quite heavily used and with 25 Ontario about to be developed as offices (demo has started) and the large residential developments opening at Ontario and Adelaide and north on Ontario I think usage will only increase. This is becoming a very dense area and if you eliminate the Ontario stops there really is a fair distance between the stops at Sherbourne and Parliament.

Some updates from TEYCC today:

1. Motion re $$$ to properly light St James Cathedral (see post above) PASSED. I assume the work will be done before Christmas as it has been tendered already.
2. Motion to put some s 37 $$ towards upgrade of Farquhars Lane was passed. (This is the lane from Front to The Esplanade just east of Church)
3. Motion to put some s 237 $$ towards upgarde of Nicholson lane was passed. (This is the lane south of Front between Princess and Berkeley.

# 2 and #3 are BIA-organised projects being done in consultation with the LaneWay Project and neighnours. Both projects are planned to be done later this summer. https://www.thelanewayproject.ca/

Some updates from TEYCC today:

1. Motion re $$$ to properly light St James Cathedral (see post above) PASSED. I assume the work will be done before Christmas as it has been tendered already.
2. Motion to put some s 37 $$ towards upgrade of Farquhars Lane was passed. (This is the lane from Front to The Esplanade just east of Church)
3. Motion to put some s 237 $$ towards upgarde of Nicholson lane was passed. (This is the lane south of Front between Princess and Berkeley.

# 2 and #3 are BIA-organised projects being done in consultation with the LaneWay Project and neighnours. Both projects are planned to be done later this summer. https://www.thelanewayproject.ca/

Good to see these moving forward.

Any update on Wellington; or the proposed projects on Frederik, George and Colbourne?

Unfortunately, on their website, the BIA hasn't put out a new newsletter in over a year. The last one is spring 2018.

Good to see these moving forward.

Any update on Wellington; or the proposed projects on Frederik, George and Colbourne?

Unfortunately, on their website, the BIA hasn't put out a new newsletter in over a year. The last one is spring 2018.

AFAIK.

Wellington: The work going on now (Powerline Plus) is drawing to a close. (I am told they will finish in 4-6 weeks but have heard that before!) They have installed conduits and vaults for Hydro, Bell, Rogers and (most recently) Beanfield.
Once they leave, Enbridge will move in for 30-45 days to upgrade the gas main from Church to Leader Lane and Scott to Yonge. Then, early in 2020 the City and TTC will come and install new streetscape and new TTC tracks. (There was some fear that the City might postpone this to 2022 or 2023 but it APPEARS to be back on track for early 2020. Residents, businesses and the BIA and SLNA were VERY annoyed at the possibility of further delay and I THINK it has been resolved.

Colbourne. The watermain work from Church to Yonge will finish (Church to Scott is 90% done) by September but I have heard nothing about the possible streetscape upgrades. I suspect they will not happen until 65 King is finished (and will include Leader Lane.)

George. Hydro One are looking at installing new conduit on George from The Esplanade to Gerrard (linking the transformer stations at The Esplanade and Bay/Dundas). If this occurs it will be in the 2021-2023 period (I am told it will last 4-6 months) and any improvements on George will occur afterwards.

Frederick. This may occur when George Brown moves ahead with their campus beautification plans.

The BIA has recently hired the (recently-early-retired from the City) urban planner Mark van Elsberg so I suspect we will see more action and planning. Mark was responsible for the work over the last decade on Front, Sherbourne, Market and The Esplanade and for the plans for Wellington..

AFAIK.

Wellington: The work going on now (Powerline Plus) is drawing to a close. (I am told they will finish in 4-6 weeks but have heard that before!) They have installed conduits and vaults for Hydro, Bell, Rogers and (most recently) Beanfield.
Once they leave, Enbridge will move in for 30-45 days to upgrade the gas main from Church to Leader Lane and Scott to Yonge. Then, early in 2020 the City and TTC will come and install new streetscape and new TTC tracks. (There was some fear that the City might postpone this to 2022 or 2023 but it APPEARS to be back on track for early 2020. Residents, businesses and the BIA and SLNA were VERY annoyed at the possibility of further delay and I THINK it has been resolved.

Colbourne. The watermain work from Church to Yonge will finish (Church to Scott is 90% done) by September but I have heard nothing about the possible streetscape upgrades. I suspect they will not happen until 65 King is finished (and will include Leader Lane.)

George. Hydro One are looking at installing new conduit on George from The Esplanade to Gerrard (linking the transformer stations at The Esplanade and Bay/Dundas). If this occurs it will be in the 2021-2023 period (I am told it will last 4-6 months) and any improvements on George will occur afterwards.

Frederick. This may occur when George Brown moves ahead with their campus beautification plans.

The BIA has recently hired the (recently-early-retired from the City) urban planner Mark van Elsberg so I suspect we will see more action and planning. Mark was responsible for the work over the last decade on Front, Sherbourne, Market and The Esplanade and for the plans for Wellington..

Thank you! Very thorough. Gives me some cause for cautious optimism!

I believe I got a bulletin about this recently from Hydro One. I think it said this was one of two possible routes they were considering and they had not made a decision yet, but maybe now they have? Also, if my memory serves me it was only the part of George street north of Shuter which was involved and it would get down to The Esplanade some other way?

Ah. There is a website for this project here

Last edited:
I believe I got a bulletin about this recently from Hydro One. I think it said this was one of two possible routes they were considering and they had not made a decision yet, but maybe now they have? Also, if my memory serves me it was only the part of George street north of Shuter which was involved and it would get down to The Esplanade some other way?

Ah. There is a website for this project here
You are correct that it is not finally decided as noted on the website you gave - but last I heard it was "looking likely" and would be from The Esplanade.

Last edited:
Tacorrito is taking over the space vacated by Amaya. It appears to be a fast growing Toronto based chain. The have gone from launch to now 10 locations in the past four years.
Judging by the early history of the Twitter account, it was started by some Ryerson students in 2015. Though the quick turnaround suggests there may be common ownership between the brands.

Back