News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 542     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

UrbanToronto Redesign

A month later and I unfortunately have to report that I still consistently get directed to the first page of threads, regardless if they are watched threads or not, or if they have new posts or not. This is on desktop browser.

As this introduces an additional click and page load, it is a little inconvenient.
I've finally realized after paying attention to the dates of posts, that the above issue only happens to threads that I haven't visited since the forum upgrade.

I've finally realized after paying attention to the dates of posts, that the above issue only happens to threads that I haven't visited since the forum upgrade.

I have this happen to any thread I'm following that hasn't had a new post for awhile.

This was happening before the change as well.

Its annoying.

Please put back the page navigation buttons at the top of the page. Having to scroll down sometimes very long pages to get to the navigation at the bottom is very frustrating.

Please put back the page navigation buttons at the top of the page. Having to scroll down sometimes very long pages to get to the navigation at the bottom is very frustrating.
The navigation seem s to have gone again from the BOTTOM of pages. Please put back the bar!

UT.jpg

It seems like a new section for "Reactions" has been added to the forum, with an "All" and "Like" tab. Are we getting more reactions in the future (Useful, Surprised, Sad, Agree, Dislike, etc)?
Edit: Nevermind, this was added.
+

I also like that you can now bookmark threads and posts. You can even add labels to the bookmarks. This requires a lot of self maintenance though, would like it if labels were shared between all users across the forum.

Also, I'm thankful that a bug in the previous version didn't allow for searching was fixed.

There's still a problem where the footer is hidden on iOS, and needs to be tap and scrolled to reach it.

Another thing that's bugging me is the inability to delete drafts on mobile, as the button/drop down is missing.

Last edited:
We now have additional 'reaction' choices. But I noticed that the # of reactions is no longer associated w/someone's name the way 'likes' were. Don't like that.

Also when one goes to members, the lists are again truncated to 'top 20'

Last edited:
Under the members section, reaction score, the stated score under the member's name is not the same as the number on the right hand side which is used to order the members.

I assume that needs resolution.

Does the new forum have emoji support? ?

EDIT: It does, but converts emoji to a proprietary emoji set.

Here are some emojis:

?????‍♂️??‍??‍♂️

There seems to be a bug in erasing emoji. Deleting ??‍♂️ turned it into a female shrugged shoulders that can't be deleted.

Anyone else using UT in Chrome on an iPhone find the new website buggy? When I click on photos posted and it brings up an enlarged version (usually by mistake), the “X” to close it doesn’t work. Also, the bottom menu in my Chrome disappears while browsing building threads and makes it impossible to use the Back button. Equally frustrating, when writing a post, the buttons for Preview and Post disappear such that I have to copy the text I wrote, reload the page, paste it and try to make my post all over again. Not sure if it’s just my phone or Chrome, but I’m at my wits end using UT since the site renewal - thinking of using it on my laptop and just giving it a pass when I’m on my phone because of all these little irritations in the user experience.

I often have problems on both my iPhone and iPad using Chrome -- posts don't post, I can't click "like". Chrome on my Mac is fine.

Anyone else using UT in Chrome on an iPhone find the new website buggy? When I click on photos posted and it brings up an enlarged version (usually by mistake), the “X” to close it doesn’t work. Also, the bottom menu in my Chrome disappears while browsing building threads and makes it impossible to use the Back button. Equally frustrating, when writing a post, the buttons for Preview and Post disappear such that I have to copy the text I wrote, reload the page, paste it and try to make my post all over again. Not sure if it’s just my phone or Chrome, but I’m at my wits end using UT since the site renewal - thinking of using it on my laptop and just giving it a pass when I’m on my phone because of all these little irritations in the user experience.
I'm using Chrome (the latest) on Ubuntu Linux desktop, and various glitches are presenting, double posting being one, and double sentences appearing in posts.

Since Java is no longer supported in the latest versions of Chrome and Chromium, that suspect can be discounted. There might still be a problem interfacing with UT's forum software however, perhaps exacerbated by this known issue:

Strange chrome graphics behaviour on linux ubuntu 18.04

Android might have the same proclivity, being based on Linux kernels.

Last edited:
There’s a frustrating bug on mobile. When expanding an attached image, the pop up can then not be closed. Tapping the X does nothing. The only way to close the image is to refresh the page.

As of the latest redesign, I'm finding the forums incredibly cramped and lacking in vertical space due to the giant floating header and footer. Check out the screenshot below -- so much of the vertical space is taken up by navigation (most of which I don't need as I'm scrolling through a thread), it feels like I'm viewing photos through a letterbox. This is on a 13" MacBook Pro:
Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 10.43.15 PM.png

Can the logo bar at the top and the footer at the bottom be made non-sticky? (I mean heck, you could even put the stickiness behind a media query so they only switch to position: fixed when the viewport height is more than x pixels, where x is enough that I can comfortably see a photo with a normal aspect ratio.)

Last edited:

Back