News   Apr 17, 2024
 700     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 309     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

Does anyone kno why there is no stop, or no turn in to the Newmarket GO train station?
I don't know the official reason, but it's a combination of Newmarket GO station not being a very popular station and the lack of planned expansion (construction and service) at that station. There's also the lack of the grade separation of Davis Drive with the rail corridor and even though it would be very forward thinking to build a rail overpass and a station in the median with stairs/elevators going up to the train platform level, it doesn't seem to be a priority of the City of Newmarket, Metrolinx and YRT.

This really is an weird where YRT plans to expand Viva Blue service to East Gwillimbury GO station via Yonge St and Green Lane instead of having a proper interchange with Newmarket GO station. I think I've read on UT somewhere that there are property distributes between Metrolinx and the owner of The Tannery Mall, so expanding the stations for more riders isn't a priority. IMO, the mall should be demolished and the Newmarket GO Bus Terminal should be relocated to there with proper Transit Oriented Developments and an expanded GO station and Vivastation. Too bad the the Vivastation was already built at Main St though.

I don't know the official reason, but it's a combination of Newmarket GO station not being a very popular station and the lack of planned expansion (construction and service) at that station. There's also the lack of the grade separation of Davis Drive with the rail corridor and even though it would be very forward thinking to build a rail overpass and a station in the median with stairs/elevators going up to the train platform level, it doesn't seem to be a priority of the City of Newmarket, Metrolinx and YRT.

This really is an weird where YRT plans to expand Viva Blue service to East Gwillimbury GO station via Yonge St and Green Lane instead of having a proper interchange with Newmarket GO station. I think I've read on UT somewhere that there are property distributes between Metrolinx and the owner of The Tannery Mall, so expanding the stations for more riders isn't a priority. IMO, the mall should be demolished and the Newmarket GO Bus Terminal should be relocated to there with proper Transit Oriented Developments and an expanded GO station and Vivastation. Too bad the the Vivastation was already built at Main St though.

Maybe it's just me, but it's as though YRT is anti GO. The GO bus that used to be along Yonge is no more. AFAIK there is little GO Bus service.

What do you mean? Cornell Terminal on Rose Way east of Ninth Line west of Bur Oak Ave. I don’t believe any preliminary design was done on the extension of the Rapidway, but I would assume it would go down to 4 general traffic lanes from 6 somewhere (east of McCowan?) and a new bus only road would be built in between Ninth Line and Bur Oak Ave for buses to turn off the median ROW on Highway 7 towards the terminal.

Here’s their future unfunded plan. I’m not sure why there’s are stations called “Markham Stouffville Hospital” and “Bur Oak” without “Ninth Line” though.
Unfunded_Projects_map_10_02_18.jpg

Hey @Leo_Chan - is the map outdated now since the Cornell Terminal has been moved to West of Bur Oak immediately in front of MS Hospital now? Do you know if Viva still plans to proceed with Bur Oak station after Cornell Terminal on Highway 7? It would seem logical since they're building a lot of condominiums and townhouses and Lindvest's Cornell Woods will be located at that intersection.

Also, in regards to the transitways being extended to Cornell, the stretch of Highway 7 from east of Markham Road to 9th Line is lined with lovely mature maple trees, which is quite rare in these parts - I hope they intend to save them during the eventual extension.

What's the purple expansion? Road widening and median ROW? For just 0.6M?
They’re adding far-side bus bays at Main Street Unionville and Kennedy Road to allow buses to queue jump (I think that’s the term) and will add the appropriate fare-vending machines and Presto readers. Notice of construction.

Apparently, there are no plans to widen Highway 7 to six lanes between Stouffville GO corridor and Kennedy Road.

Service Plan for 2020 for YRT/VIVA is up now.

Plan Here: https://www.yrt.ca/en/about-us/resources/2020-Transit-Initiatives_PEF_web.pdf

Survey Here: https://forms.yrt.ca/PEF-Surveys/2020-Transit-Initiatives-Survey

Pretty pathetic overall. Some modest weekend improvements for Bathurst, some frequency improvements for VIVA Blue .....

But several service reductions.

Very little concrete move toward the Frequent Service Network on core services.

They are falling behind other suburban services in quality level.

Plan Here: https://www.yrt.ca/en/about-us/resources/2020-Transit-Initiatives_PEF_web.pdf

Pretty pathetic overall. Some modest weekend improvements for Bathurst, some frequency improvements for VIVA Blue .....

huh dont know whats so bad about it. The reductions are due to low demand/ridership so it would make sense to adjust based on reality. What are you expecting in terms of concrete moves?
go from 25min to 15 min immediately?

Should be in the YRT Viva Service Thread, but good news that they’re increasing frequencies this time. It’s curious that 25 now terminates at Hwy 404 but 4 doesn’t.

Back