News   Mar 28, 2024
 983     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 554     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 846     0 

TTC: Streetcar Network

For a guy who doesn't know a bolster from a pedestal liner, you seem to think you know a lot about trucks.

Dan
I quoted ample reference, I quoted you, and I quoted my original statement that you took to issue. Here it is again:
steveintoronto said:
Addendum: Took some time to find more detailed info on the bogies and the "steerable axles" (which is what I thought they meant, but it might be terminology used mostly in the West), and there's a number of really sensible engineering features to these vehicles. Excellent multi-page pdf:
https://www.hel.fi/static/hkl/artic.pdf

I deferred to not exactly knowing, and so quoted from manufacturers, engineering papers and other sources.

You still haven't answered the question as to GE's trucks:
For a guy who doesn't know a bolster from a pedestal liner, you seem to think you know a lot about trucks.
As to how much I know or not is irrelevant to what the manufacturers state.
There needs to be a linkage between the axle ends of each truck, and the truck itself. These have none of that.
I'd say GE would have the answer, but you don't.

There's many 'steerable trucks' completely unlike what you state is required to make them so. Even completely mechanical with no hydrostatic actuation:
NIPPON STEEL & SUMITOMO METAL TECHNICAL REPORT No. 105 DECEMBER 2013
Development of the New Concept Steering Bogie Yoshiyuki SHIMOKAWA*
[...]
2.5 Steering mechanism
The steering mechanism used for the SC101 bogie and its movement are shown in Fig. 11: it is a link-type steering mechanism wherein the swing bolster, the truck frame, and the axle boxes are connected with rods and levers. When a vehicle enters a curve and the bogie truck changes its angle to the vehicle centerline, the linkage members change their positions such that the axle boxes change their positions in proportion to the curvature. Because of this passive actuation, the link-type steering is highly reliable. Since conventional steering bogies change the positions of both wheel sets, the mechanism tends to be bulky. In contrast, the developed new steering bogie manipulates only one wheel set, and therefore, the mechanism can be designed compact and light-weight, and fits into the space of an ordinary axle-box suspension.
3. Development of New Steering Bogie [...]
https://www.nipponsteel.com/en/tech/report/nssmc/pdf/105-08.pdf

It's already in use and proven.

The Helsinki Transtech ones are apparently hydraulic. That could still be passive (as in the BMC Hydrolastic suspension systems first pioneered on the Mini, albeit cross connected for a 'push-pull' arrangement with the alternate axle journals) or actively pumped and modulated with electronic sensing.

The point remains, the PROSE designed and Transtech built Helsinki tram bogies perform like no others. And Toronto would certainly benefit from such technology, which is where this whole discussion originates from.
Noticing that there were some discussions in the other threads about future streetcar orders. I ventured onto Finland's Skoda-Transtech site to take a look at the marketing material for the ArcticTram after seeing videos.

http://www.transtech.fi/railway/low-floor_tram

What really piqued my interests is whether Skoda-Transtech would be interested in participating in bidding for the future TTC order(s) now that Alstom-Siemens is establishing a base here. The ArticTram seems well suited for our network albeit with some modifications. And they incorporated a traditional free-turning bogie/truck unlike all the rigid trucks that modern low-floor trams use.

Last edited:
Normally these kind of tangential arguments are annoying, but I find it absolutely delicious to watch the two biggest know-it-alls on the forum go after each other like this ?
Especially since one of them actually DOES know a lot (if not everything) and the other knows VERY little (if not nothing!) Go Dan!

lol...keep it coming:
https://www.mobt3ath.com/uplode/book/book-41708.pdf

Probably a bit steep for some. At least it's in English, might give some half a chance...well, maybe not. Some would claim the Earth is flat and think it clever to state so.

The principle used in the Transtech bogie is completely demonstrated and analysed. And it even has pictures for those that can't read.

Meantime, here's a vid of the Transtech Helsinki tram, going 80 km/h:

Text is in Finnish. Since it's a 'foreign language' it only goes to prove it can't be right.

Last edited:
The TTC have started installing the new (straight) overhead on KING STREET and appear to be working westwards from Sherbourne. (The 'junctions' of Parliament, Church, York etc have all (I think) been done as has much of the straight (tangent) wire elsewhere.

Why wouldn't they want the 504 Flexities running with pantos? King Street is gonna become pretty modern now with the permeant Pilot, so makes sense to convert it.

Only the 504B will be able to use pans once King is done up to Dufferin from the east. The rest will be done for 504A west of Dufferin late 2020 when the plan schedule work for 2019 that was moved to 2020 is done.

501 pans can't be use until late 2020 since the conversion to pans west of Dufferin is tie in with the 504.

Come late 2020, all the system should be pan ready and could see the end of poles being use by all the Flexity as well.

Why wouldn't they want the 504 Flexities running with pantos? King Street is gonna become pretty modern now with the permeant Pilot, so makes sense to convert it.
Of course "they" want it running with pantos and having KIng completed is in the 2019 schedule. I was simply reporting that a further tranche of King is 'underway". I agree it is a bit strange that all of King (from Leslie Barns) was not finished ages ago but the new overhead is not simply replacing wires and hangers, it also includes more traction power and THAT may be what holds things up.

One thing to bear in mind with all the "why didn't they do panto wiring in x order rather than y" is in part that the fleet deployment plan has changed a few times. More importantly, if TTC hadn't saved some pennies in prior years at Council's behest. panto-ization might be further along now.

Of course "they" want it running with pantos and having KIng completed is in the 2019 schedule. I was simply reporting that a further tranche of King is 'underway". I agree it is a bit strange that all of King (from Leslie Barns) was not finished ages ago but the new overhead is not simply replacing wires and hangers, it also includes more traction power and THAT may be what holds things up.
I had overlooked the “more traction power” thing. That does make it more than wire and hangers.

It’s May. Is there a track reconstruction plan this summer?
https://map.toronto.ca/toinview/

Gives you a half decent idea. Construction has already begun on McCaul for it's reconstruction I believe.

This year appears to be:

- the Queensway at Roncesvalles (though I swear I remember reading this was delayed to 2020);
- Adelaide (finally) through downtown from Charlotte to Bay;
- Adelaide from Victoria to Church;
- the Church and Richmond intersection;
- McCaul from Dundas to College
- the Kingston Road and Queen Street intersection / loop.

Looking at that TOInView map saw the following interesting annotation at streetcar stops along the 506 either side of Coxwell

The curb cuts were all complete in late 2018 as far as I know - though they did seem to have some difficulty with the southwest corner of Coxwell and Lower Gerrard ... perhaps that construction lingered into 2019.

No sign of TVMs though - have they installed them anywhere yet except at platforms where there is a streetcar ROW, or Pearson airport? I don't think I've seen a new location in years!

Back